cr0wn

cr0wn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
Hey guys,

Was attending live $1/$2 the other day, was MP and got dealt AcKd, opened 5x.

HJ folds, CO calls, Button 3bets to $35.

I 4bet for value to around $75.

CO folds, BU calls.

Flop 8c8sJs

I tanked a bit as I was really unsure of cbetting to this board, I lose to all pocket pair that call the 4bet, TT+. Decided to check, he put me all in and I folded.

He could have AK as well, AQs maybe and the other would be the pocket pairs that call a 4bet listed above.

Was check folding wrong in this case and should have I played this in a different way?

Thanks in advance!

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
4 betting is reasonable, but you size is too small, should make it more like2.8x oop or more if deep. Typically in 4bet pots you can bet range small, I dont think check folding is too bad v a shove, but you make your hand look like AK or worse by not cbetting as any overpairs will want to bet. How deep were you?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How often does he fold to a 4-bet?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop opening to 5x is acceptable in a 1/2 live game, after of CO call, BU's 3-bet squeeze really represents very strong values. Here you must apply the concept of perceived range. If you look, you're blocking AA and KK so you don't need to commit too much in a MWB, which is why it's better to call, but if you prefer an aggressive line, you should now block preflop, 5-bet in your opponent's range .
The flop comes a bit dry for this sequence play, so you don't need to bet much to make your opponent fold any dominated hand. Checking how you have done is also a valid option. When V pushes his range he's a bit polarized. Even though you block AA and KK, villain could still have QQ. While JJ is much less likely in the V range, since since he has position, it is more likely that he will want to induce you to place bets on the next few streets.
You unlock nut flush draws spades, so those would be the most likely semi bluffs of V. Good fold in my opinion.
Greetings.

cr0wn

cr0wn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
Preflop opening to 5x is acceptable in a 1/2 live game, after of CO call, BU's 3-bet squeeze really represents very strong values. Here you must apply the concept of perceived range. If you look, you're blocking AA and KK so you don't need to commit too much in a MWB, which is why it's better to call, but if you prefer an aggressive line, you should now block preflop, 5-bet in your opponent's range .
The flop comes a bit dry for this sequence play, so you don't need to bet much to make your opponent fold any dominated hand. Checking how you have done is also a valid option. When V pushes his range he's a bit polarized. Even though you block AA and KK, villain could still have QQ. While JJ is much less likely in the V range, since since he has position, it is more likely that he will want to induce you to place bets on the next few streets.
You unlock nut flush draws spades, so those would be the most likely semi bluffs of V. Good fold in my opinion.
Greetings.
Thank you for the detailed response!

In general what crossed my mind also is to jam on the flop, however I do believe he will call with most of the pocket pairs in his range on that board.

He can have 3 combos of AA and 3 combos of KK which isn't a lot but the way he played the hand with the squeeze pre, I really thought he was going for value with a strong hand.
He could have some potential bluffs in there, however I really don't believe most live 1/2 players care enough about balancing.

Might be totally wrong tho, still thanks for that great response and happy holidays!

cr0wn

cr0wn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
4 betting is reasonable, but you size is too small, should make it more like2.8x oop or more if deep. Typically in 4bet pots you can bet range small, I dont think check folding is too bad v a shove, but you make your hand look like AK or worse by not cbetting as any overpairs will want to bet. How deep were you?
Honestly, you are very right about betting a bigger size OOP, that thought crossed my mind and I really can't explain why I didn't do it.

This is one of the concepts I tend to forget.

In regards to stacks, I had about
$230 after the 4bet, V had had about $400 after he called the 4bet, might be a bit off tho.

Thanks for the response and happy holidays!

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
well....i think your opening bet size was good....however your opponent on the button made a very strong re-raise where he could very well have a hand of AA or KK...even if he didn't have one A premium hand would have the advantage of always waiting for your move.... now it's always good to know your opponents, so taking notes will always be good... since the notes help to have a better perspective of how your opponents play and with what often get into hands

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see your opponent's range as very strong, I think that the pass is correct, but the bets and openings are a little big or you play like this all the time

cr0wn

cr0wn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
I see your opponent's range as very strong, I think that the pass is correct, but the bets and openings are a little big or you play like this all the time
Honestly, online I'm used to more standard open sizes like 3x when RFI or 4 when OOP, when playing live $1/$2 I feel like most the sizes are always more than online.

In regards to my 4bet, it was close to a min reraise of his 3bet, which I believe is standard

cr0wn

cr0wn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
well....i think your opening bet size was good....however your opponent on the button made a very strong re-raise where he could very well have a hand of AA or KK...even if he didn't have one A premium hand would have the advantage of always waiting for your move.... now it's always good to know your opponents, so taking notes will always be good... since the notes help to have a better perspective of how your opponents play and with what often get into hands
Exactly, him calling my 4bet basically represents TT+, AQo+,AQs+ and everything else as premiums in his range. Of course on a different flop I might have Cbet jammed or cbet most of the pot, but on that board I lose against all of his pocket pairs, which are I believe more combos than AK, AQ

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check-folding in this situation is not necessarily "wrong," as it depends on your read of the opponent and your overall strategy. However, it is possible that a cbet would have been a stronger play as it puts pressure on your opponent and can pick up the pot if they have a weak hand. Additionally, if you suspect your opponent may be bluffing, a cbet could also help you build a bigger pot for when you do hit your hand. In general, 4-betting for value preflop and then check-folding on a dry flop like 8c8sJs may not be the best approach as it gives your opponent an opportunity to build the pot and put pressure on you.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hey guys,

Was attending live $1/$2 the other day, was MP and got dealt AcKd, opened 5x.

HJ folds, CO calls, Button 3bets to $35.

I 4bet for value to around $75.

CO folds, BU calls.

Flop 8c8sJs

I tanked a bit

Thanks in advance!

No way 88 helped him, he wouldn't just shove with Jack either...he had AA,AK,KK,QQ or a low pair and gambled.

If you had AK, you should have called his 3-bet and seen where you were.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi!
It seems to me that after you 4-bet and check the flop your opponent thinks you are "limited" and of course he can shove any pair into you.
Have you considered all-in preflop?
Given the fact that out of position, if you don't hit A or K, you won't be able to play the hand normally? :unsure:

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
After you 4-bet pre, this flop is 100% c bet. You don't 4-bet for hit, and a 30% flop can be make the villain fold, and when you check, all the medium and slow pairs who a weak player can call pre gonna be confortable