my 4 dollar beginner tourney yesterday

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have the hand history but, this is essentially what happened.

I was chip leader at the table nearing the money. At my table NOBODY had the average sized stack.

Villain was playing alot of hands, but, letting his timer run out on every decision.

I had about 8k in chips he had around 2.5k.

I had 78d, I limp in, villain calls.

Flop comes I get one diamond, I bet the pot, which was about 500 chips, he called.

Turn comes and i get my 4th diamond, I bet 500 chips again...Villain pushes all in. I figured if I call and lose we're about even chips, but, if I win, I'll be looking pretty good to make it all the way.

Anyhow I end up losing, look at the chat window...This guy says "What an idiot".

I know that I probably shouldn't have called, but like I said earlier...had I hit it, not only would I have had a good stack to take toward the end, but, I'd have also gotten this slow ass player off the table so we could play.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What he is doing is slowing down the table to increase the time until he gets back into the blinds. I have seen this done live and online. He waits till the last minute to slow the table down. That is exactly why they go hand for hand when it is just one off the money or changing payout levels.

The donkey is just stalling. I don't think I would call unless you had 2 overs to the board and a draw. The 20% chance you hit your flush is not enough to risk 1/3 your chips at that point. I can see calling if you had 20-30k and it was about 1/10 you stack but you need to save those chips.

If you don't even have an average stack you have to be carefull. I know you had the most chips at your table but at any second you can be moved to a table where everyone has more than average and will be putting constant pressure on you. You want as many chips as possible then so if you double up you get max value. You just wasted 1/3 your stack on a 1 in 5 call. Save those chips for when you have the winning hand to knock some out or double up latter.

Just show some patience and let him do what he wants. You chips are worth alot more than someone stalling for 15 seconds before acting each time.

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm, I never thought of doing that before. Is it not considered bad form to play like that, especially live?

Might be a useful trick next time i'm struggling on the button!

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a gray area. You are allowed a certain amount of time to act. 99% of the time people will act before it but to draw it out to the last second is fine, you are given that amount of time to act. It just gets boring if they are doing it over and over again. You are not breaking any rules but it is stalling to the max.

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But Titans, I was just trying to get your title from ya!!!