33 vs AKs

A

anthonydalvaro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So when I put these two hands in Equilab 33 has better equity. I evaluated them heads up. However, on all the hole card ranking sites, AKs is way above 33. Why is this? do some hands play better heads up than in a multiway pot? if so which ones?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In multipot, your 33 have almost no chance, unless they get another 3 for the set.
What kind of hands do you expect to see in multiplots from other players? there will be 44 and 1010 and a lot more. AKs have against them the same chances to get a tor-pair or a straight or flush, but 33 have very low chances of improvement.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the reason behind AK being better hand are
a) Playability of 33, any flop is scary looking for the hero holding 33.
b) Ranges, it’s not only AK that 33 is against, but all over pairs are there too. Let’s give villain a stack off range :{ 88+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+, KQo} -> 33 has only 36% equity. All big cards are about flip (like AK), but all pairs are dominating. Actually 2NL you see multiple players going all in with small pairs, because it’s flip+ against AK, they fail to understand that against the whole range they are losing.
c) Extra value for AK is giving the fact that only AA and KK are clearly dominating it, and even against KK AK has 31% enough to smooth out a bit the unfortunately case where we face KK.
d) Given c) and b) we can play AK super agro pre, repping AA and KK, 4 bet? if we feel like it, All in? if we feel like it. Many times villain just folds, giving us lots of fold equity profit, if he calls were are almost break even. With 33 facing 3bet we mostly fold.

imo, 33 is actually better hand in multiway pot, you can flop a set and win big, but hitting ace with AK usually gives you one street of value or just folds to CB, if you get action you are mostly beat.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
e) blocking effect, with 33 we block nothing, with AK we block the most scary cards there are namely AA and KK -> this increases our fold equity pre, but also post flop.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
e) blocking effect, with 33 we block nothing, with AK we block the most scary cards there are namely AA and KK -> this increases our fold equity pre, but also post flop.

Exactly. With AKs, we will get a very strong combination by any hit on the board. While 33 have only two outs for improvement.

When assessing the strength of the hand, we should always consider the number of players in the pot. 33 ready hand against AKs, but in the multipot there are almost no chances that no one will get a higher pair or a combination.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is especially important to understand this by holding even stronger pairs - for example, 99 or JJ.

drolin

drolin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
33 may be useless after placing the cards on the table, so it's smaller than AK

33 = 35%
AK = 65%

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I play low pairs it would be a shove against as little opponents as possible, anyone with two overs has over 50% chance of hitting at least one of their cards

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rather get dealt a pocket pair than AK.Unless I am going all in then AK is better all factors considered.

33 is easy and powerful to play.You call to see a cheap flop,flop a set and stack someone.

AK is a better all in hand because someone can easily call with a dominated big Ace which then you are 25% to 75% favorite but with 33 heads up all in you are at best likely 57% to 43% at worst 17.5% to 82.5%.

Think about the hand all factors considered then act. You need a lot of thinking to process hands in poker.

keokeokk

keokeokk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I already lost it to 33 44 1010 55 22 ... being that I was with AK in the hand is very tense to deal with it, sometimes it is easier to lose, than letting your A or K fall on the table .... :/

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So when I put these two hands in Equilab 33 has better equity. I evaluated them heads up. However, on all the hole card ranking sites, AKs is way above 33. Why is this? do some hands play better heads up than in a multiway pot? if so which ones?

Buy a book,
You can go to Amazon and buy a poker book. You know?

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buy a book,
You can go to Amazon and buy a poker book. You know?

How is this comment helpful? It seems that you are trying to bolster your own flagging self-esteem by trying to make someone else feel bad. Some of your comments are mean-spirited or just humble-brag.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is this comment helpful? It seems that you are trying to bolster your own flagging self-esteem by trying to make someone else feel bad. Some of your comments are mean-spirited or just humble-brag.
Agreed. They are just asking a question. Obviously a lot of stuff can be found in books, but this doesn't mean that you can't ask a question about it on the forum. In fact, sometimes you learn more in a social context, when discussing it with other people.

If you really think it's a silly question, then you can always choose to ignore it.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. They are just asking a question. Obviously a lot of stuff can be found in books, but this doesn't mean that you can't ask a question about it on the forum. In fact, sometimes you learn more in a social context, when discussing it with other people.

If you really think it's a silly question, then you can always choose to ignore it.

Thanks for backing me up on this. It seems Stuey's comment is only designed to make Anthony not want to post anymore.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Redirect

To redirect this to the original question.

You were asking if certain hands are better heads up... so yes, I think a pair is a made hand heads up before the flop and drawing hands are still drawing. I usually wouldn't play 33 in a multi-way pot unless everyone limped and I was the BB.

Last edited:
Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Andrei is right. 33 good cards at the late stage of the tournament, when the pushes begin. In the cash they are valuable only by the ability to collect a set. Otherwise, fold.

T

the0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
huge pot equity allows us. to play 33 when you hit a set on the flop, particularly in online games.

T

the0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that according to hellmuth you should always see a AK hand to the end, and AK has more fold equity than 33 on most flops.

T

the0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On online games, when you have AQ or AK, it always magically seem s to spike a A K or Q .

W

wildjoker68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't see a pro call an all in with 77-JJ very often. QQ,KK,AA are all monster hands, and A,K, Ranks right up there with them, that's why it's called the big slick,
and even though K,J, is called the rookie hand, I would feel better with that over 33, unless I hit a set, but preflop 33, I will fold that 9 out of 10 times. if you count up how many times you have called with 33 and lost money to folds and added up every time 33 paid to play and put those numbers side by side, you would start folding 33 too. or keep losing more money that you win with it. Peace and Happy Bank Rolling...

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the players

Good tight players will play ace king,AQ,AJ suited or not in position so if it's you vs them then a call with 33 is a good thing here when the flops comes 6-2-9 vs 2-3 guys. In no limit if you bet big enough you can take it down. Now vs other worse players they will see weak aces and kings often so they could have q-9 so your dead. A9-a2 and in some scenarios a 78 guy you just never know. This is why on TV you see aces vs kings vs 10-10 often and also ak off vs 56 suited often. Pros understand the differential and what their opponent might have you should to. If the flops comes 3-A-j then you could be up against a set,or 2 pair that's how I would see and as a back up idea AQ or ak. Less likely q-10 and if the board isn't suited then you can call him like you spiked an ace and he thinks he as you out kicked and get paid. 33 in a multiway nl pot sucks cause when you flop a set and turn a boat it can be counterfeited flushed and straighted out easily vs so many people. In nl for me I feel much better about 77 and up to jj as a mid premium hand as far as 33 multiway I would shove in a tourney if I was shortstacked as a miracle might occur and you hold up.