3 betting at the micros!

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi i wonder if i get exploited when i 3bet from the blinds.
ip i have no problems, i 3bet for value most times and only 3bet light when i have some fold equity and no fishy player left to act...
but oop my strategy is 3betting ONLY for value because people just love to call, never fold to a cbet and cant wait to float...
so my 3bet stat is very low like 5% and good players can exploit this easy as they know exactly what my range looks like and they can raise or float me when the board hits their range.
but actually i dont know if they think on that level or if they just think they can profitably flat with 65s and allways stack off my overpair when they hit.
so often i end up folding a lot. and i think i fold too much, so i wonder now if i should get more tricky in 3bet pots to induce bluffs and stick to my value range or if i should add some rare bluffs to get some ballance in that spot.

what are your experiences in that spot? i appreciate any advice!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good players only?

hi i wonder if i get exploited when i 3bet from the blinds.
ip i have no problems, i 3bet for value most times and only 3bet light when i have some fold equity and no fishy player left to act...
but oop my strategy is 3betting ONLY for value because people just love to call, never fold to a cbet and cant wait to float...
so my 3bet stat is very low like 5% and good players can exploit this easy as they know exactly what my range looks like and they can raise or float me when the board hits their range.
but actually i dont know if they think on that level or if they just think they can profitably flat with 65s and allways stack off my overpair when they hit.
so often i end up folding a lot. and i think i fold too much, so i wonder now if i should get more tricky in 3bet pots to induce bluffs and stick to my value range or if i should add some rare bluffs to get some ballance in that spot.

what are your experiences in that spot? i appreciate any advice!

Thank you for posting.

The key to your question seems to be what to do vs good players?
If a player is capable of making enough bluffs we must call them down sometimes.
How do we know if they are capable?
We must take notes that indicate that skill set (bluffing)

Vs an unknown player we must call at least one bet after we check. If our read suggests possible weakness. One action by our villains could mean anything.

We also need to get good at range advantage reads.

Hope this helps

:):)

That bet could be a small bet or a big bet.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only good players!

im sure bad players also try to exploit me in that spot but they do it poorly and they are the guys who pay off to my overpairs.
its just that there are often spots like a 3456 turn and i face a big bet with QQ or 5685 turn and my delayed cbet gets raised. these are spots where i fold even if i know villain is capable of bluffing, because his story just makes sense and bets get really serious big at that point.
i used to fold less in the past but got more disciplined. now they flop a full house on a 922rainbow flop against my aces and still dont get my full stack as i allways think about what i get value from and what their range looks like.
i just thought about beeing more selective at all when 3betting from the blinds, like flatting AK, QQ against some ep raisers, which i allways 3bet actually...

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More range not less

im sure bad players also try to exploit me in that spot but they do it poorly and they are the guys who pay off to my overpairs.
its just that there are often spots like a 3456 turn and i face a big bet with QQ or 5685 turn and my delayed cbet gets raised. these are spots where i fold even if i know villain is capable of bluffing, because his story just makes sense and bets get really serious big at that point.
i used to fold less in the past but got more disciplined. now they flop a full house on a 922rainbow flop against my aces and still dont get my full stack as i allways think about what i get value from and what their range looks like.
i just thought about beeing more selective at all when 3betting from the blinds, like flatting AK, QQ against some ep raisers, which i allways 3bet actually...

Thanks for responding.

We only flat big hands preflop when we get too many folds. You do not seem to be having that problem.

If your villains are calling 3 bets with 76 suited vs your QQ wooohoo.
QQ has 76.8% equity. Never stop raising that.
In fact try to find out how big a raise you can make. An excepted standard is a 4x 3 bet from blinds. You could try 5x 6x 7x -50% of your villains stack. If you can get players to chase with suited connectors preflop you are literally printing money every time you do it.

The key is the range advantage reads post flop. Which you seem to understand but need to make some small refinements.
We do not have to cbet dangerous flops if we know our villains are only calling with pair crackers as they are folding most of their aces and kings. Which they will do to that larger sizing. So we need worry less about protection betting.
If we check flops we can get weak bets and bluffs from our villains. They may think we are doing this with AK which we should, on occasion when suited usually.

Delayed cbetting OOP into really ugly boards is not a good idea. If you know that they can bluff turns -check call down. Check turn- if checked behind on turn, value bet rivers with appropriate sizing. What does that mean? Vs some villains 1/3 pot vs others 1.5 pot

The examples you gave are examples of us wanting to get to showdown cheaply. I would not be building either of those pots vs good villains that know I can fold big pairs.

It is good that you are using reads but we just cannot know for sure vs good villains and this is what we are discussing, good villains. That they would not raise those boards with pair plus draw hands some of the time. That is why we are not bet folding but check calling.

Bet folding is for passive villains who bluff very seldom.

The adjustment to make is post flop: Call downs and stack protection plays, not cold calling villains with wide ranges OOP with big hands.

You are doing the right thing. Trying to figure out how to better play these situations. The key is to work on your post flop actions and to understand if and how many bluffs a villain has in these situations.

If you believe a villain has no bluffs and no weak value bets then folding is correct.

Hope this helps

:):)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check calling is fine if villain with position likes to bet into any perceived weakness.

H

Haze of Spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that makes sense!

my default play was to bet any strong pair on the turn if there is no action on the flop.
for protection and to get info where im at in the hand. actually i played almost exactly like in a 2bet pot..
but it totally makes sense that i dont need to protect from overcards that much!
i just started checking more hands to trap or bluff catch, but usually very nutty hands and it feels weird to give these free cards lol
guess i need to get used to it and get some more experience!
and what u said about river value bet sizing eetenor, im glad to hear that cause i use exactly these sizings and adjust them to villains :)

what i said about flatting, yea i meant players who fold alot to 3bets cause they also give me a hard time when they call..

i thought about sizing up the 3bet against the lose guys but im kinda afraid to value own myself and give them reads that i cant have a bluff.
as i said i dont light 3bet oop but they cant be 100% sure with a normal size (i use 4x)

thank you very much for the replies so far!

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 Betting. Hey Haze of Spade, I find your strategy completly correct to the microgame, low 3B vs most villain is ok. Don´t worry about get exploited for good players because they are a few on these stakes, they should be calling you less and with stronger range as well, if it not, then they are not so good as you think. It is better to fold a bit more than calling a lot. I think you should focus more on your postflop game and find your posible leaks. Don´t you think?

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars