H

hatpokertucks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How's it doing?

Hi TheGenera1,
Good to chat the other night on stars. I tried to send you a message, but it won't let me as I've not sent enough posts. I like this site, though.
How's your grinding?
I'm planning to study more soon to try to get beyond nl25. I think I've got the right books/tools. Just got to put the work in.
Keep in touch...

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
O hey mate! Nice to see you here, I'm glad you like it here. I'm playing a mixture of $16nl and $10nl right now, just hit $400. I'll keep going until I get $500 and then move up to $25nl.

Grinding going well, with great table selection I make about $30-$40 a day. All about changing tables as soon as the fish leave.

Happy to discuss strategy with you. Feel free to post a question or a hand in here.

Previous few sessions.

8d9f3abbbe2031c1b1f71347a242d4db.png

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
06b2a128dfadc8215270d39950f93803
Totally agree Fundiver.

Highlight of my day. Having a boring long breakeven stretch, and then doing this. For those that can't see it, I shouted LEEEEROYYYY JENKINS in the chat before shoving all in with my fullhouse. I was worried about the AK but went for it anyway.

https://gyazo.com/06b2a128dfadc8215270d39950f93803

06b2a128dfadc8215270d39950f93803

Ha ha that is a nice one. I am totally getting it in here as well. If not with a turn jam, then with a raise and then a jam on the river. The only boat, he can possible have, is KQ, which is only 2 combos. All the others would have been 3-bet pre. You on the other hand can have all the boats, so this is a pretty light stack-off by him. Maybe some entitlement tilt at work?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ha ha that is a nice one. I am totally getting it in here as well. If not with a turn jam, then with a raise and then a jam on the river. The only boat, he can possible have, is KQ, which is only 2 combos. All the others would have been 3-bet pre. You on the other hand can have all the boats, so this is a pretty light stack-off by him. Maybe some entitlement tilt at work?

Yeah, I agree with you, I should have raised river but I was just pissing around as I was bored out of my mind. I think traditionally, or at least on zoom, I would rule out AK, but honestly at these fish invested games I can not even tell you how many times I've written "limps AK" or "Flat calls AK pre" on people sitting at my table. Same goes for kings and aces. These casual/recreational players hate to raise large hands as they are scared it will drive people out of the pot.

Defo think some entitlement tilt at work. Or he was a fish.

NICE HAND!
Thanks dude!

H

hatpokertucks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hand for you...

Thanks for sending your session history.

Would you ever get away from this? ,,,

NL25, effective > 80 BB

V lojack (no player read)
Hero BTN AdKd

preflop
V 3BB
Hero 3bet 9 BB
V 4bet 23 BB
Hero call (pot odds 2.4:1)

Flop AhKh8s (pot ~ $12)

V cbet 0.5 pot

Now pot = $17.5, I have ~ $17

I shove. He shows aces.

Any thoughts ? (I didn't expect him to cbet aces as blocks my calling range)

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely no way you get away from that. You have top two pair in a 4bet pot :) Call and be happy haha.

If you had HUD stats on him, perhaps there is a REALLY small chance you could fold. But only if he has a 3bet of <2.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for sending your session history.

Would you ever get away from this? ,,,

NL25, effective > 80 BB

V lojack (no player read)
Hero BTN AdKd

preflop
V 3BB
Hero 3bet 9 BB
V 4bet 23 BB
Hero call (pot odds 2.4:1)

Flop AhKh8s (pot ~ $12)

V cbet 0.5 pot

Now pot = $17.5, I have ~ $17

I shove. He shows aces.

Any thoughts ? (I didn't expect him to cbet aces as blocks my calling range)

I am not always giving 4-bets action with AK. It depends on reads, position, stack size. Postflop is just a cooler. He is twice as likely to have another AK as AA or KK, and even just for that reason you can not fold. Maybe there is no need to jam the flop though. It is probably slightly more +EV to just call and allow him to continue bluffing, if he somehow is on a bluff. You can always get it in on the turn, if he check to you.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing 25nl today and it's pretty brutal. Lost two buyins within the first 60 hands. Currently sitting around the negative two buy in mark give or take. Missing flops or having 2nd best hands are expensive here!

Edit: hey... Just realised I "reached" my goal lol but not really with correct BRM.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got absolutely wrecked, down $60 over 300 hands, so I'm back down to 10nl. I can't sustain these losses. Didn't even have a chance to use cash out as there were no all in situations apart from KK v a set where the set was already flopped.

Gonna grind 10nl for the week. SEe where I'm at after that.

H

hatpokertucks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks fundiver,
I agree. Prob the best place to get away is preflop. The hope is that he had QQ (6 combos) rather than AA or KK (each 1 combo). So it would have been best for me to call as he has no flush draws. What stake you play ?

I am not always giving 4-bets action with AK. It depends on reads, position, stack size. Postflop is just a cooler. He is twice as likely to have another AK as AA or KK, and even just for that reason you can not fold. Maybe there is no need to jam the flop though. It is probably slightly more +EV to just call and allow him to continue bluffing, if he somehow is on a bluff. You can always get it in on the turn, if he check to you.

H

hatpokertucks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the feeling. I'm not getting the best of it at the moment. Still have the bank roll for nl25, but am going to start some serious poker study on Monday. I've been meaning to do it for a while. I guess I'll have some strategy questions.

TheGenera1: Got absolutely wrecked, down $60 over 300 hands, so I'm back down to 10nl. I can't sustain these losses. Didn't even have a chance to use cash out as there were no all in situations apart from KK v a set where the set was already flopped.

Gonna grind 10nl for the week. SEe where I'm at after that.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed that the pool of fish is drying up too, there aren't as many as there were in March. It's gonna return to reg invested pre virus times soon.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks fundiver,

I agree. Prob the best place to get away is preflop. The hope is that he had QQ (6 combos) rather than AA or KK (each 1 combo). So it would have been best for me to call as he has no flush draws. What stake you play ?

I was playing 25NL full ring on pokerstars in recent weeks, but due to moving to another country I can currently not play on Stars. Still waiting for reply from their support, how I can get back in the game. So right now (last two days) I am playing on 888 Poker, and it has mostly been tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed that the pool of fish is drying up too, there aren't as many as there were in March. It's gonna return to reg invested pre virus times soon.

I have also noticed that. Volume remain high, but game quality has gradually declined through april. Its not that strange actually, its almost like an ecosystem. The fresh school of fish has attracted sharks, that were taking a break, and others have been able to move up. The last two days I have played tournaments on 888 Poker, and while the fields are somewhat larger, I dont think, they are any softer, than they were pre COVID-19.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah definitely, and even the fish I do manage to hunt down are beating me today. I'm losing every pot, got to the point where I'm having to just shove flops so I can cash out and get my equity. Every time I don't do that, they get there.

Two large losing days, down $100 the last two days. My shot failed, and my rebuilding at 10nl failed too. Hurts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two large losing days, down $100 the last two days. My shot failed, and my rebuilding at 10nl failed too. Hurts.

I have not exactly had a stellar come-back to tournaments on 888 Poker either. Over the first 53 tournaments my ROI is negative 40%. But that is just the nature of variance and why, 100 BIs is recommended for tournament players. Hope you get it turned around soon :)

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m in exactly the same spot - building from $60 bankroll and looking to get to 50NL this year $1k-ish bankroll.

Finding 10NL soft / beat it for $50-100 a week but then lose it all at 16NL and have to move back. Think the tight BRM we’re running is the issue, you can’t handle a few bad beats. I’ve been moving up when have 20 buyins at next level and back down at 15 buyins.

This time I’m staying at 10NL a few extra weeks to hit $450 (ie closer to 30 buyins which is where I am when I’m doing best at 10NL) and then moving up.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys, the struggle is real sometimes. I thought last night I could cash out my roll, or I could come back, push my anger to one side and play and play until I got back roll back. I'm going to do it this time. No quitting.

I was breaking even for almost all of today, until the last half an hour of play when I made $50 in 30 minutes.

Total win for today is $80 which I'm very happy with. I didn't give up, I kept table selecting all day and chasing the value. Almost back to where my roll was before the huge loss.

f45bfff6f9f3066f289bdb4ad4410a07.png

Graph:
bd08855b9136f7068567b00dff6e8260.png

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think the tight BRM we’re running is the issue, you can’t handle a few bad beats. I’ve been moving up when have 20 buyins at next level and back down at 15 buyins.

The main issue with aggressive bankroll management is, that it makes it more difficult to control tilt. If you have a significant cushion, it still sucks to lose, but it is much more easy to shrug it off, and you rarely if ever need to move down. And since games are already not as extraordinary good, as they were in march or early april, there is no reason to not follow good bankroll management now. Micro games were also beatable pre COVID-19, and we are just back in a situation, where it will take a little longer to climb up.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As some of you might know, I was playing spin and go's and I did pretty well, but I thought I could make more playing cash 6max so I made the transition. It really has gone tremendously despite being under AIEV I've managed to secure a pretty decent win rate. I had a shot at 5nl when I reached $300 but ran into horrible beats so moved back down to 2nl and regrind back to $310 and now played 5nl again which I ended the session up. I like to have a HUGE bank roll for the stake I'm playing otherwise losing sessions effect me too much.

Essentially, I think I'm certainly ready for 5nl but I'm also nervous :p I'm ready right? :party:

It's going really well. Congratulations! I'm interested in playing spin and go. I started playing a few times sporadically and found it interesting. Do you have any strategy tips for playing this type of game?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's going really well. Congratulations! I'm interested in playing Spin and Go. I started playing a few times sporadically and found it interesting. Do you have any strategy tips for playing this type of game?

I haven't played spin and goes for about five years now, I'm afraid I don't have any tips that would be useful. Just play solid poker and try and categorise each opponent as early as possible.

Thank you though :)

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll around $520 now. Recovered from my swing and made some profit on top. Thinking of trying 25nl again, but this time I'm setting myself a ONE buyin limit. And, I'll only play one table of 25nl this time and the others I'll split between 16nl and 10nl, which ever has more fish at the table when I'm playing.

Will let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck. Second time lucky!

Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was up and for other reasons unrelated to poker and down for lack of study or thinking only of money

NauGad

NauGad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll

Frankly, I do not have the ability to have a good bankroll by direct deposit, since I live in poverty. My whole bankroll is formed from those drops of cents that I win in freerolls. This is not enough, but such are the realities. I envy those who can afford to just make deposits and play in paid tournaments.