is 2 2 a good hand?

K

kiznik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In a 10 handed game- With any low pocket pair (2345 for me) I'll call to try to see the flop as follows:
|Position_08:_|_2x_bb_|___bb__|_bb_|_fold__|_fold___|____fold__________|
All other positions, fold.

Sorry for the wierd characters... couldnt figure out how to make it appear formatted normally.
Does this make sense to anyone? Is it a good idea?

sk1zz0t said:
KA vs 2 2 Is 49% to 51% odds to win, if I'm not mistaken.

KA (Suited) is the best possible non pair hand.
I suppose then that 22 vs J10 would be 50% to 50%? given the extended straight outs?

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any pair is a slight favorite to win heads-up against to higher cards. Even dueces.

K

Klevster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a case of the lesser of two evils...

While a pair of deuces is a nice hand, anyone with a 3 higher pair on the flop has got your measure..

I think it's worth seeing the flop, as three 2's is a nice hand and the possibility of a full house is nice... :)

Be wary of flushes and straights though...

P

philly0707

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in position play them strong and get others to fold and then hope to hit a set or act like you did.

J

jdecost1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how many people bet before you, if there are 5 people in the pot you have to think you maybe over matched, but i like to see the flop to attempt to make a set.

:beer: jdecost1

M

mythicshog

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Ducks! When they hit, they're the best ha d ever, if they don't, well then, you dont pay much to see a flop with em (or at least i don't). With me, I've always made more money than I've lost with deuces.

T

ten-four

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
22 isnt that great a hand anyway you go about it but it is a fav over any two un paired over cards ~ the play would vary form time to time

N

nakedmexican

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Hand

as a tight player i ALWAYS bluff with 22. people usually put me on Aces when i play em.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Titan. I always want to see the flop with any pair because if you hit trips you are usually, although not always in for a good payday. Also if you are extremely short stacked it is not a bad idea to risk all your chips on this and hope only one other goes in with the two overcards and doesn't hit. If you are down to that last hope you have a slight advantage over the two overcards. It is something like 54/46. Keep in mind that if your opponent has A K there is no difference between a pair of 2's and a pair of Q's.

subchapterj

subchapterj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
mattlandry1000 said:
I have l;ost so many times with 22 it's not funny... Tried slow playing, tried raising pre flop, the only thing that works for me is tossing them
i agree. pocket deuces is a crap hand most the time. two-three handed action they may not be too bad depending on what you think the others have. there are just so many hands that you can be beat by and very feww times you can win unless that third two comes.

T

tigilles

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to see the flop with a pocket pair, cause if you get a good one, you can be involved in big pots without being noticed.

tigilles

Prysm

Prysm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to see any pocket pair to the river. Pocket 2's will beat AKs 51% of the time. Its just because the AK has only 6 outs for hitting top pair, may hit that flush/straight. And of course pocket 2's may hit a set. I find it usually best just to see low pocket cards to the river... if you don't get any help, trash them and wait for the next.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
topple said:
i read that in 100000 hands heads up 2 2 beat a k more than not....any comments?
Heads-up, against 2-2, A-K is no better than 3-4.

katymaty

katymaty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

according to the percentages 22 is marginal favourite over AK.

if i get low stacked and in late position ill tend to go all in with any low pair and hope to take pot and if i get called im still in good position unless they have a bigger pair.

if in early position if have enough chips to limp in ill limp and hope to catch a 2 but if a few callers are in ill tend to fold after flop if it gets raised and i havent hit my miracle 2 ;)

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Duces, well everytime i see them in somebody elses hand they go all in and will win everytime, but put them in my hand and you can bet on the fact I will not hit, so if your not me I would bet on them....LOL

S

sheffield16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only if they trip

only if they trip otherwise there garbage

C

cardcounter5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel they are only good when you are only going up against at most two other players... Seeing the flop for cheap and playing they like they are aces are always good.

D

DAVEANOVA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking for a cheap flop on these. If it starts getting expensive, I'll fold 'em

T

trent52

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never go all in on pocket dueces. What looks beautiful at first sight can be absolutly nasty! I don't think I would go all-in before the flop on any pp less 8's.

S

snowbrdr724

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
22's

dueces aren't that good... AK suited is a better favorite to win over 22....anyway, who would do 100,000 hands to see the statistics??

J

jjhooksjj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
22 is an interesting hand. It's not a hand I'd want to be betting a lot with preflop however, it can prove very profitable. It's interesting, play 22 vs AA with real players playing each hand and you'll find that 22 will make more money in the long run. AA will only win a very small pot from 22 if neither player improves, but if 22 hits a set, which it will do more than 10% of the time, it will win a very large pot off of the player with aces.

M

Moose763

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

in order to play 22 rigt u hve to be able to read a player. never play it from 1st position no matter what the circumstances because with 7 or 8 people behind you its not worth raising and running into a bigger pair or a caller and then you have to deal with a flop where there is always going to be overcards. the best time to raise is on the button or if youn sense weakness push in when raised from behind. some people like limping or just calling a raise preflop and sometimes i do this because if u flop a set u can make some good money, anyway if you like this post then just message me and i can give u some more advice

D

donkeyz12212

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket 2's aren't that great of a hand unless you hit on the flop. If you are in the smaller stack, it is even more dangeorus to have a hand such as that.

G

glvi006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket duces are good if u can get in cheap and see the flop if theres nothing on the flop for u fold them

D

DubiousDub

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like pocket dueces. But get it heads up and wacth out for AKQ flops.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands