19BI Downswing???

L

lukeamac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any update from OP?

Feeling pretty deflated myself in a downswing at the moment. Most of the suckouts etc I can deal with and well versed in variance being a bitch. The setups are the hands that make me ask why? Haven't flopped a set since Jesus was a baby and if I do you know the board will run out 1 to a flush or 1 to a straight where I lose or make no money because I'm hamstrung.

Getting in heads up situations, even where table fully breaking down and just me and the fish left who has 90/7/33 stats and the setups switch is flicked on, theres nothing I can do but put the chips in.

I did do a review last night and deffo some spew tilt in there, no doubt and I've made some notes that are sitting on my screen for today to be better in those spots. I've also had my first crack at 100NL and like OP its been rough AF, without being terrible. Funny how you run when you go up stakes often; better players, new stakes to bet with, a bit timid, play spots different, bit of tilt then all of a sudden you downswinging like a ma'fuka.

Anyway, I was really keen to hear how OP got on with it, get through it brother? Come out the other side? Did you ever make it in 100NL?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently shotted 100NL a few months ago at 23ishBI, and I built up my roll pretty well......

hi hi minh!! :ciao:
downswings suck - i read they can last significant time

seems i been on downswing since i start play poker in may 2018 *sighs*

blond.jpg

Meryoviedo1987

Meryoviedo1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens. Depends how you take it lol. It sucks and You feel it's so unfair because maybe You are playing well but are out of luck. And Even luck it's not the most important, sometimes it takes You out of an important tourney.

S

simmo5050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 19Bi buyin isn't that big nor is 30,000 hands alot. Drop down a few levels until you have built your roll back up and / or take breaks. Unless you are superhumanly good, the downswing = tilt = bigger downswing but you could still be playing well and going through a downswing.

Most players have far too little understanding of how bad and long downswings can be till they experience them. Forgot results, play well.

S

simmo5050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are playing underrolled for those stakes. 20k hands is nothing. A 19BI downswing is nothing. Drop right down and only move up when you have 200bi and 6 months living expenses

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good that you were able to stop, if I were you, I would have moved to higher limits and probably would have lost the rest of the bank roll.
And so I had a series of losses and 20 bi, and then I went to higher limits...
But now I worked on my psychology and it doesn't happen again)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play many hands but I've had KK run into AA 3 times this week in fewer than 900 hands. It can happen. Two of them were AIPF and I lost. The other one I lost about 30bbs. Had another one where some dude called my KK raise with A3 and flopped 633. I lost more than 50bbs here. Was winning at about 30 bb/100 hands in the first 450 hands but have dropped to barely green for the week now.

19 BI is a big downswing though. Can't say I've ever had it that bad. Maybe play a bit more conservatively. More pot control with mediocre hands until your luck changes.

miguel198433

miguel198433

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As in every game, it has its good streaks and its bad streaks, all that remains is to get up

razarach_xD

razarach_xD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best thing you did is.... withdraw !
Obviously, you weren't doing it before and with some bad cards- you tilted ! But really, that's how you sound....
Just go back to 50 where you feel ok and you'll be back in no time.

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently shotted 100NL a few months ago at 23ishBI, and I built up my roll pretty well. I had 50BI a couple of days ago, but had to pay for something so I withdrew $1k. I already didn't feel comfortable. I'm a BR nit, and 50BI makes me super comfortable. Especially since $100 feels like a lot to me; I'm a broke college student. If I could have delayed my withdrawal, I would have. Then in 3 sessions, over about 20k hands, I went on a huge 19BI downswing. I've had 3-4 BI downswings very occasionally, and once a 14BI downswing at 25NL which made me almost want to quit. I did work myself out of that downswing pretty quickly. Maybe 3-5 sessions, and after that I never had anymore than 2-4BI downswings over 200k+ hands total at 25NL/50NL/100NL (excluding my downswing right now of course). Now I'm starting to feel like quitting again somewhat.

I'm just really frustrated. It took me months and months to build my roll, and I've been a consistent winner for over 300-400k hands at 25/50/100NL. It just seems crazy that I could go on a 19BI downswing within 20-30k hands. My downswings were usually within 1-4, and they were not often. Most of my sessions are winning/slightly above BE/BE, which I'm very happy about. Months and months of work gone in 3 days. I'm just feeling a lot of shock. Going on that downswing at 25NL felt like a lot at the time, but now here it's almost $2000. I feel pretty sick.

I'm running way below EV that it's ridiculous, and keep getting coolered and set-up. I got my KK vs AA 5+ times this week, never sucked out. AA vs KK only once and lost (obviously). And obviously lost 2 KK vs AK; never won. And when I got AK vs KK, which was about 3 times, I always lost. Straight over straight. I had a flush draw to go with it and obviously missed. KK all-in 4-way (had the best hand) and flopped dead on the flop. Constantly getting 2/3-outered for a full stack or almost full stack over and over. I remember I got 2-outered twice in a row back-to-back in 10 minutes on the river for a full stack... Coolered over and over again, etc. I'd say I ran worse than I did on my 14BI downswing at 25NL, which was pretty bad.

I'm feeling kind of sad and demoralized, and I think if I drop below 15BI for 100NL, I might just end up withdrawing and quitting :( . Buy myself a really good new laptop. That gives me a 5BI shot at 100NL. I could always grind again at 50NL, but I think after such a huge hit psychologically and to my bankroll, I'm not sure if I will have the motivation anymore. Anyone have stories of redemption? I don't really want to quit, but I just feel so demoralized and feel like shit. And if I drop to 15BI, I don't know if I can grind it out anymore, knowing that 3 sessions pretty much erased months of my work.

Man you can take a few days to review your game, if possible request your game history on the site you play, and try to analyze it with a solver, try to adjust the game, explore some spots better. And for me, I could play again, but with fewer tables with a lower limit, to get used to the new strategic considerations, and also regain confidence, it's no shame to come back to move on . GL in life and felts.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently shotted 100NL a few months ago at 23ishBI, and I built up my roll pretty well. I had 50BI a couple of days ago, but had to pay for something so I withdrew $1k. I already didn't feel comfortable. I'm a BR nit, and 50BI makes me super comfortable. Especially since $100 feels like a lot to me; I'm a broke college student. If I could have delayed my withdrawal, I would have. Then in 3 sessions, over about 20k hands, I went on a huge 19BI downswing. I've had 3-4 BI downswings very occasionally, and once a 14BI downswing at 25NL which made me almost want to quit. I did work myself out of that downswing pretty quickly. Maybe 3-5 sessions, and after that I never had anymore than 2-4BI downswings over 200k+ hands total at 25NL/50NL/100NL (excluding my downswing right now of course). Now I'm starting to feel like quitting again somewhat.

I'm just really frustrated. It took me months and months to build my roll, and I've been a consistent winner for over 300-400k hands at 25/50/100NL. It just seems crazy that I could go on a 19BI downswing within 20-30k hands. My downswings were usually within 1-4, and they were not often. Most of my sessions are winning/slightly above BE/BE, which I'm very happy about. Months and months of work gone in 3 days. I'm just feeling a lot of shock. Going on that downswing at 25NL felt like a lot at the time, but now here it's almost $2000. I feel pretty sick.

I'm running way below EV that it's ridiculous, and keep getting coolered and set-up. I got my KK vs AA 5+ times this week, never sucked out. AA vs KK only once and lost (obviously). And obviously lost 2 KK vs AK; never won. And when I got AK vs KK, which was about 3 times, I always lost. Straight over straight. I had a flush draw to go with it and obviously missed. KK all-in 4-way (had the best hand) and flopped dead on the flop. Constantly getting 2/3-outered for a full stack or almost full stack over and over. I remember I got 2-outered twice in a row back-to-back in 10 minutes on the river for a full stack... Coolered over and over again, etc. I'd say I ran worse than I did on my 14BI downswing at 25NL, which was pretty bad.

I'm feeling kind of sad and demoralized, and I think if I drop below 15BI for 100NL, I might just end up withdrawing and quitting :( . Buy myself a really good new laptop. That gives me a 5BI shot at 100NL. I could always grind again at 50NL, but I think after such a huge hit psychologically and to my bankroll, I'm not sure if I will have the motivation anymore. Anyone have stories of redemption? I don't really want to quit, but I just feel so demoralized and feel like shit. And if I drop to 15BI, I don't know if I can grind it out anymore, knowing that 3 sessions pretty much erased months of my work.
That's very sad. It's better to review your hands to check what caused the downswing.

I oftenly lose 6 - 7 Buyins playing my A Game, but then go on a tilt and set the money on fire. And I guess we all have our thresholds. Mine is 6 - 7 Buyins.