10k post: micro stakes full ring guide [long]

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just awesome Chuck!

This will be printed off and stuck next to my monitor while I play.

TY sir and congrats on 10K.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again Chuck, I'll definitely be getting PT. I don't feel like I'll need it for now, I don't have time to play a lot, but it looks like a very good investment when my Summer break comes.

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Chuck just wanted to say congratulations on the 10k and what a valued member you are around here. A superstar amongst superstars IMO :)

Anyway, amazing thread which I'm sure tons of members will find useful, and thanks again for your huge contribution to CC.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
didnt see this till now,,Congrats on the 10,000 chuck,,, it will take me 3 hrs. to read all that,, Great job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, buck:cool:

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck quick question on the basis of pot control.

Say you 3 bet a 30/25 lag with a,j on the button and are checked to on a jack high rag flop, would you bet than?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
General question so I'll give you a general answer: if I think he's a lag who was on a steal or something, I'll happily go broke there. Remember hand strength is relative - against a nit stacking would be terrible.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TAG (15/11/4, ATS of %40, 100bbs) opens utg for 4bbs
Folds to Hero
Hero folds A♠Q♠ in the BB

It might seem strange noting his attempt to steal stat here, but it has an indirect and crucial affect on his range. ATS is effectively a preflop raise percentage for the last three positions (CO, BTN and SB). If the stat is relatively high (read: %40), then that means that his early position raising ranges must be inversely proportional, ie very tight, in order to average out to the PFR% we see. I'll omit the maths behind it for the sake of simplicity, but in general if a player's ATS is much higher than his PFR, then not only will his late position range be wide, but his early position range should be proportionally smaller.

So in our example hand, considering the fact that his range is much tighter than the perceived %11, and that we'll be out of position against a very aggressive player for the rest of the hand, our A♠Q♠ isn't looking so hot anymore, and we pitch it.
I found this to be especially enlightening. I never would have thought to look at steal attempts this way. I don't pitch the AQs here because, well, they're suited, and I'm in position, but the rest of this is solid gold. Thanks Chuck:) .

PS. Printed this and read it at work today.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found this to be especially enlightening. I never would have thought to look at steal attempts this way.

PS. Printed this and read it at work today.

Same here on both counts. Using an opponent's ATS combined with their total PFR% to narrow their EP range is pure gold. Again maybe you could have mentioned this earlier!

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fantastic post.

The part about nits paying you off the most is specially true, I estimate more than half my winnings are from these people.

I'm glad you are a member here, I've personally learned tons from you.

tnt72

tnt72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome post Chuck.This may be the most indepth and useful post that I've read on CC.Thank you and congrats on the 10k.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing. Absolutely amazing post, Chuck.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again everyone, really very flattering. I'm happy this was useful to some people.

TWiTCHaH

TWiTCHaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great info.. I always take the time to read the post if I see that little "gangsta" avatar. :)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I wanna know is: Why does Chuck have an Easy E avatar instead of a Chuck D avatar? And Chuck Taylor's have nothing to do with rap.... this avatar mess is all so confuzzling!

/hijack

M

Michelle5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea thanks a million chuck. Its just what i've been looking for and congratulations on reaching 10k. I'm just started playing again at the dizzying heights of 1c/2c and multi tabling for the first time. Well i have 10k of hands already and i'm going to stay at 1/2c and look to experiment with your hand ranges for more +EV. Which i hope will increase it :)

Currently on PT i'm a TPA with stats of Vpip 11%, PFR% 5 and TAF at 3.90 - with a BB/100 of 14 which is reasonable. However, i'm assuming its more down to the super micro stakes and i might struggle for a bb/100 of 4 at much higher limits - mostly down to my predictability. I'm certainly going to start set mining and open pots with KQ, AJ etc in middle position and limp with small pockets( i lost confidence with these - however, what is the likelyhood of having a set over set).

Thankyou - cuts and pastes his starting hands :) personally, that is the most valuable information for me. Set mining and a better starting hand range - i've almost become so weak that i'll soon be scared to cross the road. Oh, if i call a raise with 44 and he has QQ - I don't want to stack off to an over set on a board of 49Q haha.

Last edited:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kick to the archives.