Would you consider this a suckout?

Wardo420

Wardo420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fulltiltpoker Game #5768446346: Table Angelica - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:24:23 ET - 2008/03/24
Seat 1: Tick88 ($10)
Seat 2: Gimark ($2.05)
Seat 3: kevwan ($4.25)
Seat 4: Gorbi15 ($11)
Seat 5: Wardo420 ($3.70)
Seat 6: Texadelphiaus ($3)
Seat 7: DonPablo67 ($4.10)
Seat 8: Gerlife ($10)
Seat 9: youneedasuckout ($9.95)
youneedasuckout posts the small blind of $0.05
Tick88 posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Wardo420 [8d Td]
Gimark folds
kevwan folds
Gorbi15 folds
Wardo420 has 15 seconds left to act
Wardo420 raises to $0.30
Texadelphiaus folds
DonPablo67 folds
youneedasuckout calls $0.25
Tick88 folds
*** FLOP *** [2h Qs 9c]
youneedasuckout bets $0.70
Wardo420 calls $0.70
*** TURN *** [2h Qs 9c] [7d]
youneedasuckout checks
Wardo420 checks
*** RIVER *** [2h Qs 9c 7d] [Js]
youneedasuckout has 15 seconds left to act
youneedasuckout bets $3
Wardo420 calls $2.70, and is all in
Uncalled bet of $0.30 returned to youneedasuckout
*** SHOW DOWN ***
youneedasuckout shows [Jh Qh] two pair, Queens and Jacks
Wardo420 shows [8d Td] a straight, Queen high
Wardo420 wins the pot ($6.75) with a straight, Queen high
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $7.50 | Rake $0.75
Board: [2h Qs 9c 7d Js]

Would this be considered a suckout on my part?

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're call post-flop was a little questionable, but after that you didn't suck out. He gave you that straight on a silver platter. I don't consider it a suck out since you played the turn correctly.

Had you called a significant raise on the turn, yeah, I'd say you sucked out.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that was some kinda ugly.

Both of you made fairly large mistakes in the hand. Your only real mistake is the call on the flop, and maybe playing this type of hand preflop. Maybe your move on the flop would be okay if you know your opponent is weak, and you're planning to make a play for the pot on later streets. But from your check on the turn, that doesn't seem to be in your plan.

However, his play was just bizarre, especially on the river. At that point, he is beaten by any T, and that is the only hand that can call his bet. And since you had a ten, you called him down and won the pot. Additionally, when he checked the turn, he gave all the straight draws out there a free card, when he probably could've charged you to see the river.

As played, I generally take offense to this hand. Yes, you technically sucked out on him since you had only a 6:1 draw. But he let you suck out on him by checking the turn, and then he made the situation worse by making a bet on the river that only someone who sucked out on him could call.

tecnogoddess

tecnogoddess

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that was some kinda ugly.

Both of you made fairly large mistakes in the hand. Your only real mistake is the call on the flop, and maybe playing this type of hand preflop. Maybe your move on the flop would be okay if you know your opponent is weak, and you're planning to make a play for the pot on later streets. But from your check on the turn, that doesn't seem to be in your plan.

However, his play was just bizarre, especially on the river. At that point, he is beaten by any T, and that is the only hand that can call his bet. And since you had a ten, you called him down and won the pot. Additionally, when he checked the turn, he gave all the straight draws out there a free card, when he probably could've charged you to see the river.

As played, I generally take offense to this hand. Yes, you technically sucked out on him since you had only a 6:1 draw. But he let you suck out on him by checking the turn, and then he made the situation worse by making a bet on the river that only someone who sucked out on him could call.

Excellent analysis and I fully agree.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However, his play was just bizarre, especially on the river. At that point, he is beaten by any T, and that is the only hand that can call his bet.

you misread the board yo. and.. lol of course then someone totally agrees with an analysis that hinges on having read the board incorrectly

OP, your flop call is pretty bad

his river bet is basically $2.70 into $2.10 which isn't that ridiculous for value with top two if he thinks you'll put him on a bluff. i'd prefer him doing like $1.40 or whatever to make sure JT calls, but he should absolutely think his hand is good so it's just a matter of size. he can't put you on exactly KT or T8 after you call the large flop bet, and severely unlikely you have JJ

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most humourous part of this thread is villians name "youneedasuckout".
Very appropriate considering you indeed did suckout.:)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you misread the board yo.
Wow, apparently going 4 days with about 12 hours of sleep *does* affect your judgement. >_X

I think I'm seeing things... there was an 8 on that board by the river I swear to god...

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- villain played it okay, turn check is debatable given short effective stacks.
- your flop call is questionable.
- who cares if it's a suckout or not?

B

BigStakes101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well everyone pretty much said what was needed about the flop call but he checked it down ... letting you hit it on the river