What am I doing wrong Part 1

B

BoonDockPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes these are beats... But there has to be something I am doing wrong. Sizing, Bet or Check, ect. I am lost in this mess and do not know if I am doing something wrong or not.

Live Cash Game... ($1/$2) My stack is $165

I am in BB with AQs (Diamonds) there is a $5 UTG Straddle

MP Button and SB Caller

I Raise to $25

Straddle, MP, and Button fold SB Call

Flop Comes As Tc Jd

SB Checks I bet about 1/2 pot of $30

SB Calls

Turn comes 4d

SB Checks I bet $50

SB Pushed So I called my remaining $45

He shows Ac4h

River is Ah

Now should I have just slowed down after the flop call?
Should I have changed my sizing?
I Bet and called the turn with top pair good kicker, Gut shot and nut flush draw.

SB is an action player... They have called down and pushed on draws and mid pairs that I have seen to this point.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i think you play ok........he just him he is luckywith the river........you dont do nothing wrong

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play was fine, stacks were shallow enough that calling was reasonable since he needed to be bluffing or value betting worse such a small percentage.

The concepts of importance are pot odds and stack pot ratio (SPR).

You have a very short stack preflop, and your raise makes the pot 58 or so, with 125$ behind - giving an SPR of 125/58 or about 2. With an SPR of 2 you are pot committed with TP2K, so all of the money was supposed to go in, and his hitting 2 pair is a cooler.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you did fine, especially knowing opponent is a chaser, he got lucky but knowing he plays hands like that you will get money back from him;)

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Yes these are beats... But there has to be something I am doing wrong. Sizing, Bet or Check, ect. I am lost in this mess and do not know if I am doing something wrong or not.

MP Button and SB Caller

I Raise to $25

Flop Comes As Tc Jd

SB Calls

Turn comes 4d

SB Checks I bet $50

He shows Ac4h

River is Ah

I Bet and called the turn with top pair good kicker, Gut shot and nut flush draw.

SB is an action player... They have called down and pushed on draws and mid pairs that I have seen to this point.

You may be better off, if you ask here.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-game-hand-analysis-50/

But read this first
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...0/cash-game-hand-analysis-read-before-174514/

Hope this helps and good luck with your cash games.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that the 5 dollar straddle means that you only have 33BB in front of you. We are never getting away here off a 33BB stack, especially with your reads.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

MP Button and SB Caller

I Raise to $25

Flop Comes As Tc Jd

SB Calls

Turn comes 4d

SB Checks I bet $50

He shows Ac4h

River is Ah

Oh man ! That is the problem with low stakes. With a little over 2 to 1, the guy does not hesitate calling with A rag out of position and the flop bet with no kicker ! But don't forget that poker is a long term game and don't let this kind of suck outs put you on tilt. The important is to be satisfied with the decisions you've made.
And BTW, is there a part 2 coming up ?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Always play with a full stack.
2) Your flop bet sizing is bad considering your stack sizing. Your better off betting slightly less and checking the turn or betting slightly more and shoving the turn depending on your read. It sounds like betting more and shoving the turn is better considering the player you're against.

M

Millar316

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow down

Not sure why that much money is getting in with those hands.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Always play with a full stack.
2) Your flop bet sizing is bad considering your stack sizing. Your better off betting slightly less and checking the turn or betting slightly more and shoving the turn depending on your read. It sounds like betting more and shoving the turn is better considering the player you're against.

I'm pretty shoving the turn would still result in the same outcome since villian turned 2 pair.

I don't think the OP played badly, villain called with Ace rag, it is pure luck that he hit his 4 on the turn. If he keeps going like that you should be able to make it back from him on a later game. It's not everyday A4o will hold up against AQs

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your pre-flop raise was a mistake. You have a drawing hand, and you are in the second worst position. You should have called. The straddle has good odds to call; $60 to $20. So, he only has to win the hand 33.3% of the time, to break even.

Your bet on the flop was too big. His only outs are the 3 Queens left in the deck. A $10 bet makes a call from him unprofitable. Your hand is relatively small; top pair-second kicker. Keep the pot small.

Shove on the turn. 39.1% of the time, the river will give you a Flush, a Straight, Trip Aces, or Top-Two. Your pot odds are $340 to $110. So, you need to win at least 32.4% of the time to break even, giving you a 6.7% edge.

Last edited: