Weird Spot, Quads vs. House

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, wanted to ask for some help with this hand, which is kind of straightforward but I really want to see if my way of analyzing it was correct. I'm not so much interested in what to do in a typical situation like this as I am in knowing that I used the equity calculator appropriately. (and assigned ranges correctly). I don't have much experience with this stuff.

I used Equilab.

I plugged opponent betting ranges in as being very ABC with no bluffs. Basically I included in villains range any pocket pair, and any 3 or 9 that fits into a typical button opening range. On all 3 streets I had the pot odds to call vs. such a range, except on the river it was maybe like a 2-3% edge.

Did I go about this properly? I kind of feel like opponent might tighten his river continue range after I call a turn pot size bet but I am not sure how. I posted the equilab range and calculation below.

Also, what would you guys have done in this spot?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software (disclaimer, my stats are skewed towards hyper-loose due to playing a lot of heads up fast-fold hands)

NL Holdem $0.02(BB)
HJ ($5.79) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 76.9% | AGG: 36.4% | 3-Bet: 66.7% | Hands: 13]
CO ($2.04) [VPIP: 30.4% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 20% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 24]
HERO ($4.54) [VPIP: 33.2% | PFR: 23.5% | AGG: 32.6% | 3-Bet: 9.3% | Hands: 8367]
HJ ($1.55) [VPIP: 15.3% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 3.6% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 86]
CO ($1.93) [VPIP: 28.3% | PFR: 15.2% | AGG: 13.6% | 3-Bet: 6.3% | Hands: 47]

Dealt to Hero: 7 7

HJ Folds, CO Folds, HJ Raises To $0.08, CO Folds, HERO Calls $0.06

Hero SPR on Flop: [0.5 effective]
Flop ($8.98): 9 3 9
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $0.17 (Rem. Stack: 5.54), HERO Calls $0.17 (Rem. Stack: 4.29)

Turn ($9.32): 9 3 9 9
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $0.51 (Rem. Stack: 5.03), HERO Calls $0.51 (Rem. Stack: 3.78)

River ($10.34): 9 3 9 9 4
HERO Checks

HJ shows: 9 Q

HJ wins: $9.03

Equilab analysis:

The range I assigned villain on river: Probably too wide. How do you think it should actually look? Omit all the hands with 3's? (If I do that my equity drops nearly in half). But I also get that this is NL2 and with that flop/turn, and NL2 population tendencies, ranges on this flop are pretty inelastic and won't change much from street to street.

Villain river quadhouse spot
edit: Forgot some suited 9's but it doesn't change equities much

Equilab quadhouse spot

ps: I have no idea why the hand histories pasted like this... I was in BB and villain was in button. It says HJ...

Message to the drivehud devs, please take a look at this? I've been having a lot of issues that haven't been addressed.

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi guys, wanted to ask for some help with this hand, which is kind of straightforward but I really want to see if my way of analyzing it was correct. I'm not so much interested in what to do in a typical situation like this as I am in knowing that I used the equity calculator appropriately. (and assigned ranges correctly). I don't have much experience with this stuff.

I used Equilab.

I plugged opponent betting ranges in as being very ABC with no bluffs. Basically I included in villains range any pocket pair, and any 3 or 9 that fits into a typical button opening range. On all 3 streets I had the pot odds to call vs. such a range, except on the river it was maybe like a 2-3% edge.

Did I go about this properly? I kind of feel like opponent might tighten his river continue range after I call a turn pot size bet but I am not sure how. I posted the equilab range and calculation below.

Also, what would you guys have done in this spot?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software (disclaimer, my stats are skewed towards hyper-loose due to playing a lot of heads up fast-fold hands)

NL Holdem $0.02(BB)
HJ ($5.79) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 76.9% | AGG: 36.4% | 3-Bet: 66.7% | Hands: 13]
CO ($2.04) [VPIP: 30.4% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 20% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 24]
HERO ($4.54) [VPIP: 33.2% | PFR: 23.5% | AGG: 32.6% | 3-Bet: 9.3% | Hands: 8367]
HJ ($1.55) [VPIP: 15.3% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 3.6% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 86]
CO ($1.93) [VPIP: 28.3% | PFR: 15.2% | AGG: 13.6% | 3-Bet: 6.3% | Hands: 47]

Dealt to Hero: 7 7

HJ Folds, CO Folds, HJ Raises To $0.08, CO Folds, HERO Calls $0.06

Hero SPR on Flop: [0.5 effective]
Flop ($8.98): 9 3 9
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $0.17 (Rem. Stack: 5.54), HERO Calls $0.17 (Rem. Stack: 4.29)

Turn ($9.32): 9 3 9 9
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $0.51 (Rem. Stack: 5.03), HERO Calls $0.51 (Rem. Stack: 3.78)

River ($10.34): 9 3 9 9 4
HERO Checks

HJ shows: 9 Q

HJ wins: $9.03

Equilab analysis:

The range I assigned villain on river: Probably too wide. How do you think it should actually look? Omit all the hands with 3's? (If I do that my equity drops nearly in half). But I also get that this is NL2 and with that flop/turn, and NL2 population tendencies, ranges on this flop are pretty inelastic and won't change much from street to street.

View attachment 267865
edit: Forgot some suited 9's but it doesn't change equities much

View attachment 267866

ps: I have no idea why the hand histories pasted like this... I was in BB and villain was in button. It says HJ...

Message to the drivehud devs, please take a look at this? I've been having a lot of issues that haven't been addressed.

Hi there Nick, you put the example yourself mate! :D
Here you are only winning of some hands like A3, K3, or some A4. Besides which hands your Full-House is really ahead? We are ahead of 66, 55, 44, 33, 22: it is easy to see that Villain's rainge will contain pocket pairs better than ours and Villain has all the 9x on its range, so it has much more value combos than dominated combos. Sorry, 33 and 44 we are not even winning, my mistake.
Nice exercise, congratulations!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that history is a mess. You may just want to try and fix and re-post. Pot size is wring, positions wrong, river action is missing after your check. Lots of assumptions and confusion. I'll do my best with what I think happened here.

Tiny sample of 13 hands but he has played 100% of flops and raised 76%!!! I would much rather 3 bet from the BB when it's heads up vs this guys HJ opening range which is almost any two cards. Set mining is ok as well though. I check / call flop as well. Against this guy turn is tough to get away from. I can get behind either call or fold but mostly calling given his stats. When he jams river though I think I have to let it go. We have a bluff catcher and have already called two pot sized bets. I think there will be better spots to catch him. There are 36 combos of overpairs to our 77 that all could take this line, and even if he thinks he's bluffing with 88 he's ahead in this case. This guy also has waaaaay more 9x in his HJ PFR range that take this line than you have in your Equilab. Let's say is just on a bit of a heater and he's really only raising 50% of hands in the HJ. That still gives him 96s+ and 98o+ and if it's only really top 30% hands he still has 98s+ and T9o+. You are only giving him T9s+ and 98o (which I assume is a mistake and meant to be 98s).

I also would think that he would give up and check back some of his smaller boats on the river as well. I don't think it's fair to say he's bluff shoving 100% of 22, 3x, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88. So put in all that extra 9x and set the underpairs to 50% bluff / 50% check and then see how much equity you have against his HUGE overbet. The river will look like a frustrating but necessary fold with only 13 hands to go on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah this hand history is a complete mess.

Preflop
I would consider 3-betting pre against someone, who is essentially playing the whole deck, but calling is ok as well.

Flop and turn
I am not folding any pocket pair on the flop or turn for this sizing against someone, who is playing any two cards. While we dont have into about postflop tendencies, I have never met a maniac, who just gives up, every time he miss. So I think, you are against random overcards a ton of the time here.

River
No info given about his river action, but presumably he bet again? It will all depend on his sizing then. You can certainly fold a full house, when its a 3-of-a-kind board. You essentially just have an unimproved medium pair, and you lose not only to quads but also to any higher pocket pair.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks so much for the advice guys :). This is super helpful.

The 98o was not a mistake because villain was actually on the button and the hand history got messed up lol.

I should do this equity analysis from villains point of view next time as well to see if it's possibly profitable for him to have some bluffs on that turn with flush draws. I think that way I can start to learn how to construct potential bluffing ranges when reviewing with equilab :)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks so much for the advice guys :). This is super helpful.

The 98o was not a mistake because villain was actually on the button and the hand history got messed up lol.

I should do this equity analysis from villains point of view next time as well to see if it's possibly profitable for him to have some bluffs on that turn with flush draws. I think that way I can start to learn how to construct potential bluffing ranges when reviewing with equilab :)
Why would you give him 98o but not 98s? That's why I thought it was a mistake.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you give him 98o but not 98s? That's why I thought it was a mistake.
Oh ya lol. I mentioned I forgot to fill in all the suited 9's, deinitely a mistake. I thought you meant 98o shouldn't be in his range.

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you tried PMing John A?