River:
* * 8♣
* * UTG bets [$16.25]
* * 1 players fold.
* * Uncalled bet of $16.25 returned to UTG
* * UTG wins the pot ($23.55)
* * Total folds this street: 1

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

How would you guys have played this hand? Raise on the flop? Raise on the turn? Was this a good laydown on the river?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any stats or reads on the UTG?

I would have raised on the flop to about the size of the pot, after that I'm done with the hand most likely if I meet resistance. The problem always with calling down is that you have no idea where you stand or the strength of the hand you are against.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stats or reads would be nice on UTG. Im not a big fan of flat calling AQ to a raise, Im usually either reraising it or folding it. If UTG is a tight player Im inclined to fold, but if he is loose then I like repopping him here to ~5 dollars.

As played, this is a wa/wb scenario and raising the flop is not really a good idea as you will fold out all the hands you are ahead of and keep in all the hands that beat you. Readless, Im probably giving this hand up on the turn. If I had stats/reads on villain I might call him down here. Really, I think you got yourself in trouble by flat calling the raise preflop.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this NL25??

If the UTG raiser is tight I'll throw AQ away preflop, if he's loose I'll often reraise. As played you should have raised after the flop and gave up then to resistance. I hate calling both the flop and turn only to fold on the river.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re-raise preflop. Here you have no clue what kind of hand he has. He could have raised AA or suited connectors. I come over the top and be prepared to fold if he comes over the top again. Here you're in a sticky spot, and reads are definitely important, but I lean towards a fold here. I don't see what he does here that you have beat. If the club didn't hit I'd probably say call but he could have hit the flush draw and if he didn't it certainly didn't scare him (you've been playing it just as a flush draw would, but then again that'd have to be Ax because I really don't see how you'd call without odds with first off just the flush draw and a lowish one at that). It's very possible that 8 filled him up and he has a set, and since we just flat called his preflop raise we really have no read on if he could have AA or KK.

I really can't put this villain on a hand here, but I think it has you. You'd think hands like AJ and AT would check/call that river rather than bet out, and other than that the only thing you really beat is a flat out bluff. The flush came so even if he was on that it hit. I think this was a good fold.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"re-raise preflop. Here you have no clue what kind of hand he has. He could have raised AA or suited connectors. I come over the top and be prepared to fold if he comes over the top again. Here you're in a sticky spot, and reads are definitely important, but I lean towards a fold here. I don't see what he does here that you have beat. If the club didn't hit I'd probably say call but he could have hit the flush draw and if he didn't it certainly didn't scare him (you've been playing it just as a flush draw would, but then again that'd have to be Ax because I really don't see how you'd call without odds with first off just the flush draw and a lowish one at that). It's very possible that 8 filled him up and he has a set, and since we just flat called his preflop raise we really have no read on if he could have AA or KK.

I really can't put this villain on a hand here, but I think it has you. You'd think hands like AJ and AT would check/call that river rather than bet out, and other than that the only thing you really beat is a flat out bluff. The flush came so even if he was on that it hit. I think this was a good fold."

Putting in another raise preflop against an UTG raiser seems a bit too loose, what's wrong with calling? And I didn't really have a read on this guy, he seemed tight aggressive from what I saw though. Looking back I think the best way to handle this was to call preflop and put in a big raise on the flop like billy said. After his bet on the turn I put him on AK-A10, KK or 99, or Jack ten suited. So I called since there were still hands I was beating, but once he bet on the river you're right zach, AJ or Ace10 (the two hands I was hoping he had and the reason I called on the flop and turn) probably wouldn't have bet almost pot on the river.

M

mafalda34

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u played that poorly. I would have either reraise preflop or raise the flop to know where im at. I dont think flat calling all the way to the river is the best way to play it.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Putting in another raise preflop against an UTG raiser seems a bit too loose
Why do you use the word loose? What possible purpose does that serve? We're playing to maximize the money we win (which includes minimizing our losses), does "too loose" or "too tight" matter?

what's wrong with calling?
I explained this and you experienced it on this hand. You don't have enough information and the flop+turn bet was way more than simply a re-pop preflop. This way you can know exactly where you are paying less than you did in this situation.