Suited connectors vs large 3-bet

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sat down at a low stakes full table cash game the other night. Didn't know any of the players. After a few hands found myself in UTG+1 with 76s. UTG folds and I min-raise figuring I'll go to flop and see what happens. Low jack calls. High jack folds. Cutoff 3-bets almost 2 times the pot. I'm like, huh?? I mucked but not after thinking hard about calling. How would you have played in such a situation?

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That raise is fine in a 6 handed game, but full ring it's far too likely you'll run into a hand and get pushed off without seeing a flop. You definitely can't continue with that type of hand to such a big raise.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
76s is not a hand to open from that position, if someone does 3bet it is difficult to pay.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would only open suited connectors in late position, like cutoff or button

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like you can say something about his range and you can say a bit about if he hits the flop or not so you can play it sometimes out of position but shouldnt too often. If you hit the flop you might make a lot of chips.

T

TheShark77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless really deep, that's an easy fold preflop even before the 3bet

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with others, at a 9 handed table where we don't have good reads ("Didn't know any pof the players", "After a few hands...") just fold pre UTG+1. If we have this hand in the CO we can open with it. Insta muck to the call, call, 3 bet action OOP with 7 high. We have no blockers and very poor play ability OOP with this hand. There are so many better spots.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would put 5 bet
If we raise it would be a 4 bet. We don't know effective stacks so CO may already be committed with his large 2.5x pot 3 bet. Why do we want to play for stacks with 7 high out of position? Further, we don't have reads yet and CO is raising large over an EP open and a few cold callers, his range is strong and uncapped, we have no idea how often he is 3 bet folding. Most players don't have much of a 3 bet fold range in this configuration in my experience.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple fold preflop. 76s from UTG+1 at full ring is a massively negative EV open. Also not a fan of mini-raising in cash games. This is more of a tournament strategy, when stacks get short.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, but if your gonna play speculative hands early, you need to open the same amount as you works AA. Min raise is generally a pretty bad idea.