Should I have played this hand differently or was I just unlucky

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I was new to the table and just wanted to make a quick buck, B4 sitting down I watched 5 hands and when any of the players hit big they bet hard that is why I shoved when I did, I thought Mark had a pair of 8's only for this to happen.

Stacks: - jQhnnyking with $2.00 - noobsmoke with $1.00 - joxe420 with $2.34 - Spyder_K with $1.41 - Mark223322 with $1.80 - xxxKissMyxxx with $1.68 - SAMTOMAN with $2.56

index.pl

index.pl

Site: pokerstars
* - Dealt to xxxKissMyxxx:
kc.gif
ks.gif

* - Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
* - mark223322 raises $0.04 to $0.06
* - xxxkissmyxxx raises $0.04 to $0.10
* - samtoman calls [$0.10]
* - jqhnnyking calls [$0.08]
* - joxe420 calls [$0.09]
* - spyder_k calls [$0.08]
* - mark223322 calls [$0.04]
* - Folds: 1
* - Potsize: $0.6
Flop:
8s.gif
3c.gif
2d.gif

* - joxe420: checks Spyder K: checks
* - mark223322 bets [$0.08]
* - xxxkissmyxxx raises $0.16 to $0.24
* - spyder_k calls [$0.24]
* - mark223322 calls [$0.16]
* - Folds: 3
* - Potsize: $1.32
Turn:
9s.gif
Spyder K: checks
* - Mark223322: checks
* - xxxkissmyxxx bets [$1.34] [ all-in ]
* - mark223322 calls [$1.34]
* - Folds: 1
* - Potsize: $4
River:
as.gif

Results:
* - Mark223322 shows two pair, Aces and Eights:
8c.gif
ah.gif

* - xxxKissMyxxx shows a pair of Kings:
kc.gif
ks.gif

* - Mark223322 collected $3.85 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had the perfect read on him. You did nothing wrong. He just got lucky. Mark him with a note for the next time and play on.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...

There's a few things I would have done differently.

Pre-flop: I raise bigger, I don't want to take Kings up against 6 players.

Post flop: Again, I would bet bigger.

Turn: Nothing wrong with the shove here, but I probably would have done it on the flop.

River: You just got very unlucky there.

I guess my point is I think you made it too cheap for the guy to walk away from his hand.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much. much bigger re-raise on the flop.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had the perfect read on him. You did nothing wrong. He just got lucky. Mark him with a note for the next time and play on.

:confused: preflop 3bet size and flop raise size are both horrible. mark villain for a note on what? correctly calling both times he was getting like 245:1 odds? his turn call is loose/bad even with the 4:1 odds, but it is micros and people show up will all sorts of junk so it's not completely ridiculous. villain played the hand better than hero tbh

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:confused: preflop 3bet size and flop raise size are both horrible. mark villain for a note on what? correctly calling both times he was getting like 245:1 odds? his turn call is loose/bad even with the 4:1 odds, but it is micros and people show up will all sorts of junk so it's not completely ridiculous. villain played the hand better than hero tbh

:dito:

You pretty much priced him in every step of the way - the min. raise pf makes me feel nauseous - with so many peeps acting behind you and as you're playing microstakes (uberloose) I raise to 0.20-0.25 easily here. Obviously as others have said push MUCH harder on the flop MUCHMUCHMUCH harder - but I guess at the end of the day the outcome would have been the same as at these stakes he probs figured flopping that eight was hitting the gold mine :cool:

Ooo et aussi can I refer you to sticky on thread titles:

Examples of 'bad' thread titles include:

"Was this play okay?"
"Should I have folded here?"

"OMG WHAT A DONK"
"Do I go allin here?"

Examples of 'good' thread titles include:

"$20 MTT mid stages - KQ hits 2pair on turn, villain shoves. My move?"
"$100NL - QQ vs preflop rereraise"
"$50PLO8 - Second nut low and nut flush draw vs crazy 3-way action on flop"
"$20 SNG - fold AA on this co-ordinated board?
"

I'm a very weird boy and inprecise things annoy me :eek:

Last edited:
E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a fing cruel game man, move on, and pray you can win, cause thats what it comes down to: luck. Skillfull players cant win.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

My original post was going to be on the perils of playing your cards textbook style in micro limits. But I decided against it. There is too much territory on how to play micros correctly to go into a quick reply on this post.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I know I play big hands to timidly which is something I am in the process of removing from my game
I have posted this on the bad beats forum also, and this is the reply I gave there which fits here also.

Points Taken, I had just sat down on this table and didnt want to look like one of those all in Dicks that goes all in all the time, what upset me is Why would you call the all in holding a pair of 8's.
(BTW I only wanted to make a quick $3.00 to bring my poker stars balance up to $33.00 for the CCOP main Event Now I have to make $5.00 or deposit $10.00, More like deposit...Lol)

Last edited:
I

intlplaya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your pre-flpo raise should have been much bigger-forcing him out of the
hand, once the flop hit make it expensive for him to see the turn.

but remember you are playing at a low-low low table so people call
everything anyway,how much did he have to lose? by calling-pennies.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands