Scared to play

C

chump39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I'm fairly new to poker and I'm playing a low stake because this keeps happening to me.
I'm playing super tight aggressive because I'm so sick of fish getting lucky on the river.
In the previous hand, I'd had AKo UTG and lead 20c everyone folded.
Then this:

Dealt to Hero: A A

UTG Folds, EP Calls $0.05, HERO Raises To $0.20, MP2 Calls $0.20, HJ Calls $0.20, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, EP Calls $0.15

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.61 effective]
Flop ($0.87): 8 J K
EP Checks, HERO Bets $0.62 (Rem. Stack: $8.85), MP2 Folds, HJ Folds, EP Raises To $1.66 (Rem. Stack: $2.35), HERO Calls $1.04 (Rem. Stack: $7.81)

Turn ($4.19): 8 J K Q
EP Bets $2.35 (allin), HERO Calls $2.35 (Rem. Stack: $5.46)

River ($8.89): 8 J K Q 2

EP shows: J J

EP wins: $8.45

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you got coolered. dont worry about it.

since you're new, getting coolered basically means you lost a hand but neither you or villain made an error. ask yourself, if you were in villains shoes, would you play exactly the same?

Last edited:
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
If you intend to play poker regularly you will need to get used to that. AA isn't a guaranteed win.

:bandit:

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that's going to happen from time to time. Try not to be discouraged. Good luck out there on the felt.

C

chump39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't limp from UTG with JJ

you got coolered. dont worry about it.

since you're new, getting coolered basically means you lost a hand but neither you or villain made an error. ask yourself, if you were in villains shoes, would you play exactly the same?

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be afraid to play premium hands, just be ready to lose lots of them.

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear does not belong in this card game..

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go through swings of winning and losing so never seem to get very far. It's clear that some players get deep in many games regularly so it's clearly something that you can improve on. I'm not one of those players though. It's easy to say take a step back for a while if you feel you're on a downswing but it's harder when we're stuck at home more with little to do.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi

I'm fairly new to poker and I'm playing a low stake because this keeps happening to me.
I'm playing super tight aggressive because I'm so sick of fish getting lucky on the river.
Then this:

Dealt to Hero: A A

UTG Folds, EP Calls $0.05, HERO Raises To $0.20, MP2 Calls $0.20, HJ Calls $0.20, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, EP Calls $0.15

Flop ($0.87): 8 J K
EP Checks, HERO Bets $0.62 (Rem. Stack: $8.85), MP2 Folds, HJ Folds, EP Raises To $1.66 (Rem. Stack: $2.35), HERO Calls $1.04 (Rem. Stack: $7.81)

Turn ($4.19): 8 J K Q

River ($8.89): 8 J K Q 2

EP shows: J J

Hi chump39, as I read before, this is never a cooler! You are overplaying AA quite a bit.
There is a great difference when we are holding AA, KK, QQ, AKs, etc, and we raise preflop and get only one caller from when we raise the Top Premium preflop and we get called for 3 other players.
The first thing to observe here is that you raised 4x because of the limper behind. So, even if the pot was going to be played heads-up (only 2 players involved) the pot would be bigger than usual when we raise 3x and get one caller, which means we must apply a different strategy postflop.
Now when 3 other players call, pheeew, the pot is preposterous, absurd, very big.
Then you bet 2/3 pot and I doubt you are raising limpers from UTG+1 or MP+1, 4x with 88 or KJ for example: it is clear that you don't have range advantage anymore.
The only hands that you could go betting for protection like this are 88, JJ and KK, because you will not have many KJ on your range and never J8 and K8, so, easy to see you don't have the nuts here.
Plus, the flop is way too connected, many players now can present KJ, J8, K8, 88, JJ, hands that we don't own, and for this particular reason we are not going for 2/3 pot when we have a 4-handed pot! For God's sake is not the fish getting lucky on rivers, it is simply ourselves overplaying and trying to do crazy things because "We have Pocket Rockets".
Now when the EP players re-raises OTF, it can have a couple of bluffs such as SDs and FDs and even Open Ended types, so we cannot be folding.
However, we are calling here to give up in a ton of bad turns, our AA lost a lot of potential in the face of this very strong check-raise Flop from Villain/EP.
If we really had the guts, that our hand is the best OTF and that EP is bluffing its draws, we would not be calling, but jamming.
Why? Because we are not calling with 88, JJ or KK, we can be way to ahead of TPTK, Two Pair and draws, so we shove right off the bat, however AA is not so good for doing it, this is why you called, to fold a ton of turns.
The point is: if you make a decent bet on the flop, at maximum of 1/2 pot, the check-raise of EP would not be so great and we could think about leaving AA on a Turn like this where completes a Straight.
Besides, weak regulars are only playing values, as we can clearly observe in this hand, EP should not be jamming here under the risk of getting paid by Straights and OEFSD.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has also happened to me with AA! ALWAYS we have the error sometimes when there are many players, making low increases, I consider that it is not, it is one of the errors that as poker players we make, as a player I want to win the hand but I increase a high value, because that way , no villain of chips that goes with anything will be scored, and seen losing many times with horrible cards, but well one sometimes does not know that it will come out on the flop, they are unpredictable things, much gives a statistic of 30% you win with AA, in my case but that's why I shot them once on the call without seeing the flop. !!!

PatValShark

PatValShark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every failure is a learning experience towards future success. Dont get discouraged in a loss, remember the only unbeatable hand is an unbeatable hand and if you aint got it then you play the percentages as you go and learn. Aggression comes with experience and that comes with losses.

Adrian2809

Adrian2809

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've lost a lot of money lately, but that made me believe that I'm an amateur player and that I have more to learn, so I'm not afraid and I don't fight, I want to play more and more often, for that I like poker

C

chump39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for taking the time to give such an excellent reply.
I actually had UTG on AK because most micro stake players never fold AK no matter what, especially with top pair and top and kicker. I also had a negative mindset thinking "I'm not going to let him get a lucky straight!"
I was put off by him limping into the pot.
You are dead right though it wasn't a cooler - when he checked-raised that was a dead giveaway that he had 2 pair or trips. The check-raise is almost never used in micro stakes.
Cheers

Hi chump39, as I read before, this is never a cooler! You are overplaying AA quite a bit.
There is a great difference when we are holding AA, KK, QQ, AKs, etc, and we raise preflop and get only one caller from when we raise the Top Premium preflop and we get called for 3 other players.
The first thing to observe here is that you raised 4x because of the limper behind. So, even if the pot was going to be played heads-up (only 2 players involved) the pot would be bigger than usual when we raise 3x and get one caller, which means we must apply a different strategy postflop.
Now when 3 other players call, pheeew, the pot is preposterous, absurd, very big.
Then you bet 2/3 pot and I doubt you are raising limpers from UTG+1 or MP+1, 4x with 88 or KJ for example: it is clear that you don't have range advantage anymore.
The only hands that you could go betting for protection like this are 88, JJ and KK, because you will not have many KJ on your range and never J8 and K8, so, easy to see you don't have the nuts here.
Plus, the flop is way too connected, many players now can present KJ, J8, K8, 88, JJ, hands that we don't own, and for this particular reason we are not going for 2/3 pot when we have a 4-handed pot! For God's sake is not the fish getting lucky on rivers, it is simply ourselves overplaying and trying to do crazy things because "We have Pocket Rockets".
Now when the EP players re-raises OTF, it can have a couple of bluffs such as SDs and FDs and even Open Ended types, so we cannot be folding.
However, we are calling here to give up in a ton of bad turns, our AA lost a lot of potential in the face of this very strong check-raise Flop from Villain/EP.
If we really had the guts, that our hand is the best OTF and that EP is bluffing its draws, we would not be calling, but jamming.
Why? Because we are not calling with 88, JJ or KK, we can be way to ahead of TPTK, Two Pair and draws, so we shove right off the bat, however AA is not so good for doing it, this is why you called, to fold a ton of turns.
The point is: if you make a decent bet on the flop, at maximum of 1/2 pot, the check-raise of EP would not be so great and we could think about leaving AA on a Turn like this where completes a Straight.
Besides, weak regulars are only playing values, as we can clearly observe in this hand, EP should not be jamming here under the risk of getting paid by Straights and OEFSD.

Regards;

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just Ugly !

Hi

Then this:

Dealt to Hero: A¢¼ A

Flop ($0.87): 8¢¾ J K

Turn ($4.19): 8¢¾ J K Q¢¼

River ($8.89): 8¢¾ J K Q¢¼ 2¢¼

EP shows: J¢À J¢¼

Ich - that is all just ugly.

JJ is getting my money too.

Although I like a fold to his check raise. He either has you beat on the flop or he has a monster draw. It's very hard to put him on a set of JJJ because of his limp call preflop. But it is microstakes and you will see play like that occasionally.

If you didn't fold to his check raise on the flop then his shove on the turn has got to be setting off alarm bells - lots of hands beat one pair - even though you have AA.

What range of hands did you put EP on preflop, on the flop and then on the turn?? This is important analysis.

Otherwise I'm trying to get my stack in with AA. But you had 3 callers preflop - that is too many - and with that flop one of them really really liked it. Maybe he had you beat?

I think you had to be willing to fold your one pair early in this hand to be successful. It is tough.
Good luck !

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thank you for taking the time to give such an excellent reply.
I actually had UTG on AK because most micro stake players never fold AK no matter what, especially with top pair and top and kicker. I also had a negative mindset thinking "I'm not going to let him get a lucky straight!"
I was put off by him limping into the pot.
You are dead right though it wasn't a cooler - when he checked-raised that was a dead giveaway that he had 2 pair or trips. The check-raise is almost never used in micro stakes.
Cheers

Thanks it is very kind of you mate, I loved it. You are right, and not only the micro-stakes, but the mid-stakes in general til 100 NLHE and even 200 NLHE you won't see many check-raises flop for bluff.
My HUD tracker says that after 1 million hands I check-raised the flop only 4% of times...
Check-raises, in general, at the micro-stakes, are the stone cold nuts, or the famous OESD, which is the best draw possible. Thank you again.

Regards;