Rivered Set and value bet.

P

ph_il

Total posts
Awards
Value betting is something I have a problem with because I can never figure out how much I should bet out or raise to extract as much as I can from my opponent(s).

Also, was my overall play bad and did I get lucky on the river? I broke down my thought process. Also, am I over analyzing my hands and possibly giving my opponent too much credit for a .01/.02 table?

pokerstars Game #15781417222: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2008/03/06 - 12:22:51 (ET)
Table 'Hildburg' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: duchu14 ($2.13 in chips)
Seat 2: j0nNy_CaSh ($2.86 in chips)
Seat 3: TRM_SHRiMP ($1.88 in chips)
Seat 4: redman0308 ($1.80 in chips)
Seat 5: M.Matthéy ($4.88 in chips)
Seat 6: perlitsystem ($2.68 in chips)
j0nNy_CaSh: posts small blind $0.01
TRM_SHRiMP: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TRM_SHRiMP [7h 7s]
redman0308: calls $0.02
M.Matthéy: folds
perlitsystem: folds
duchu14: folds
j0nNy_CaSh: raises $0.04 to $0.06
[Ive seen him raise in the SB with A10, K10, K9s, mid suited connectors, etc. Raises a lot PF, but not too loose of a player and is capable of folding to a PFRR.]
TRM_SHRiMP: raises $0.10 to $0.16
[Had option to set mine, but I put J_C on a buy with his SB raise and tried to take it down here while representing a big hand. I dont do this often, but I'll mix it up against a player like J_C who tends to raise a lot PF.]
redman0308: folds
j0nNy_CaSh: calls $0.10
[Had he reraisd, I might've just called or folded depending. I dont put him on a big hand with his call here.]
*** FLOP *** [Qd 6s 4c]
j0nNy_CaSh: bets $0.20
[About 3/4s pot bet, I notice he likes to c-bet a lot if he did or didnt hit. I dont put J_C on much; AK-A10s reraises PF. He might reraise with KQ and def. does with big pairs AA-JJ, so its safe to eliminate those. He might have Q10 type hand, 88-99 is possible, 1010 might just call or reraise, or he could be holding smaller pair. I dont think he has much.]
TRM_SHRiMP: calls $0.20
[Im almost confident I have him beat, but not 100% I could raise here if I think I have the best hand, but Im if he reraises me, Im in a predicament. I call to see what he does on the turn and to try and take it down on a later street.]
*** TURN *** [Qd 6s 4c] 2♦
j0nNy_CaSh: bets $0.24
[Very small bet. Now, Im sure he doesnt hold a Q or if he does, its with a weak kicker. Maybe 88-99. I def. dont see 35 here or 2 pair. Small bet scares me a bit. Is it for value? Possible he is sitting on a set here and looking for a reraise if he puts me on a big hand?]
TRM_SHRiMP: calls $0.24
[I just opt to call here and hope to go to showdown.]
*** RIVER *** [Qd 6s 4c 2d] 7♣
j0nNy_CaSh: bets $0.30
[Another small bet. Im confident J_C isnt sitting on a straight or 2 pair. Either pair over 77, set, or a weak Q is what I put him on at this point. Not getting a lot of value on his river bet if is holding a set, so weak Q or PP is most likely.]
TRM_SHRiMP: ???

Last edited:
pantin007

pantin007

Total posts
if he has been bluffing he is certainly not going to call any raise u make, if u push ur giving him about 3 to 1 odds on his money to call and this is probably good enuff odds for him to call with pair of Q or something like that
i elect to push

P

ph_il

Total posts
Awards
LOL. I forgot to add the possibility of him bluffing...

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Total posts
If he's bluffing you can't raise small enough to get him to call, so you might as well go all-in and hope he has a hand worth looking you up with.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Total posts
Awards
So there's close to $1.50 in the pot, and you have $1.28 left?

So basically you can re-raise him less than $1 for a $2.78 pot.
Yeah, I'd shove. He'll most likely fold, but he might thing you're just trying to buy it at the end as the 7 isn't likely to have helped you.

I wouldn't be surprised if he called and showed pocket 8's or something like that.