Was this the right move or did I make a huge mistake.

I

IVEverLow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been losing a lot of $$ lately and my roommate is telling me that it's because I don't know when to fold. So I've been practicing letting go of big hands that I used to put my whole stack on before and thinking a little bit more every step of the way. Now this is a hand that is really bugging me and I need some opinions:

.5/1 Table:

UTG min raises to $2 one MP caller and is folded around to me on the button where I look down and see JJ. I pop it up to $4, both UTG and MP call.

Flop QQ10

UTG and MP both check to me and I bet $6. Both call.

Turn comes J

This is where I think I messed up.

UTG bets $2, MP calls and I felt that a call as opposed to a push here was a good idea. (I'm still kicking myself for this as this question wouldn't even need to be posted had I pushed here like I know I should have.)

River..... Q

UTG bets another $2 and this time MP pushes all in for $32.. he had me covered by maybe $3. I threw my JJ into the muck, and UTG follows suit.

Do you think MP was slowplaying AQ? Or maybe he just sensed weakness in both of us and pushed hard? I'm starting to think that I layed down the best hand. The more I think about it, the more I think UTG was playing with AK and MP just might have been playing with 10 10.

Any tips, comments, criticisms?

lilybo

lilybo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
didnt you see the final play? sometimes hand history shows what they had. personally i would have stayed no matter what

I

IVEverLow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The history only shows if it goes to a showdown.. UTG as well as myself folded on the river.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok you played this hand horrible! let me explain a little.

I've been losing a lot of $$ lately and my roommate is telling me that it's because I don't know when to fold. So I've been practicing letting go of big hands that I used to put my whole stack on before and thinking a little bit more every step of the way. Now this is a hand that is really bugging me and I need some opinions:

.5/1 Table:

UTG min raises to $2 one MP caller and is folded around to me on the button where I look down and see JJ. I pop it up to $4, both UTG and MP call.

wtf is that? why would you mini raise here? I just dont see any way this could be profitable? you can not run JJ like this after a guy calls in the middle. This is perfect hand for a squeeze.

lop QQ10

UTG and MP both check to me and I bet $6. Both call.

there is 12 in the pot and you bet 1/2 pot with 2 players checking to you. You need to bet at least pot here, AQ is not mini raising normally from middle or UTG. QK is possible, AT is more possible.

Turn comes J

This is where I think I messed up.

UTG bets $2, MP calls and I felt that a call as opposed to a push here was a good idea. (I'm still kicking myself for this as this question wouldn't even need to be posted had I pushed here like I know I should have.)

there is no reason not to push, only hand that has you beat would be QT, if he flopped quad queens so be it.

River..... Q

UTG bets another $2 and this time MP pushes all in for $32.. he had me covered by maybe $3. I threw my JJ into the muck, and UTG follows suit.

Do you think MP was slowplaying AQ? Or maybe he just sensed weakness in both of us and pushed hard? I'm starting to think that I layed down the best hand. The more I think about it, the more I think UTG was playing with AK and MP just might have been playing with 10 10.

you missplayed this hand in so many ways I would of folded and forgot about it and moved on.

Any tips, comments, criticisms?

I

IVEverLow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok you played this hand horrible! let me explain a little.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.. I don't know what the hell was going on in my head throughout this hand. I rarely rarely min raise, be it preflop, flop or whenever. I bet half the pot honestly because a pot bet would have pretty much committed me to the hand. Maybe the flop move was timid, but I was half expecting a check raise which I probably would have folded to.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, thank you, thank you.. I don't know what the hell was going on in my head throughout this hand. I rarely rarely min raise, be it preflop, flop or whenever. I bet half the pot honestly because a pot bet would have pretty much committed me to the hand. Maybe the flop move was timid, but I was half expecting a check raise which I probably would have folded to.

its a cash game your never pot commited on made hands, on draws maybe but on made hands I dont think you are ever pot commited.

A well known player once wrote in a article in one of my magazines, if he thinks he is beat he will lay down regardless of being pot commited or not. Of course he was talking about tourney play but it still relates to cash games in my opinion. If you raise to $12 I dont see you pot commited at all, you have only put $16 in pot.

I think you bet $6 because the flop scared you and didnt want to lose too much money, but by betting $6 you will have no idea where you stand in the hand because once you get called by guy #1 then guy #2 has odds to call on his draw if that is what he has.

every street your goal is to aquire information on your players ranges of hands they could have.

Xandit

Xandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, this hand seems very read dependant-how have UTG-MP been playing(TAG,LAG,Passive, ect..) How have you been playing?(LAG,TAG,ect.) How do you think the players think about you have you been Also next time the stack sizes of the players in the hand is very help full.

I think that you need to re raise preflop more than a min re raise. something to 8 or so should get you at least heads up, if not take down the pot right away. I know that we want action with our good hands, but we would rather play JJ heads up than multi-way.

I like the flop c-bet, it's a little less than half the pot, you got 2 callers so it seems that a straight draw/or set/2 pair is possible.

on the turn I would have re-raised the donk bet by Utg to 10-15 (the pot is $30 ) and call a push at this point you can not be afraid to get your money in the middle if you feel you have the best hand.
No matter what you did on the turn, you are not losing someone with a Queen in their hand. So you need to get your money in there,
the rest of the hand is irrevlent.

As played. the river was a terrible card for you, but you need to ask yourself why would someone with 4 Queens bet so heavy. Would you have made such a large raise, wouldn't you make a value raise to get 2 over calls. i think we need to call here, the other players just don't seem to have AA,KK.

if we would have had more aggression, during the hand we would likely have a better idea where the players are at.

I

IVEverLow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a cash game your never pot commited on made hands, on draws maybe but on made hands I dont think you are ever pot commited.

A well known player once wrote in a article in one of my magazines, if he thinks he is beat he will lay down regardless of being pot commited or not. Of course he was talking about tourney play but it still relates to cash games in my opinion. If you raise to $12 I dont see you pot commited at all, you have only put $16 in pot.

I think you bet $6 because the flop scared you and didnt want to lose too much money, but by betting $6 you will have no idea where you stand in the hand because once you get called by guy #1 then guy #2 has odds to call on his draw if that is what he has.

every street your goal is to aquire information on your players ranges of hands they could have.

Dually noted.

First off, this hand seems very read dependant-how have UTG-MP been playing(TAG,LAG,Passive, ect..) How have you been playing?(LAG,TAG,ect.) How do you think the players think about you have you been Also next time the stack sizes of the players in the hand is very help full.

Stack ranges were all the about the same +/-3. And I didn't have any reads as I was multitabling and I had just sat down at the table maybe 3 hands prior.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet half the pot honestly because a pot bet would have pretty much committed me to the hand.
You've restricted your manoeverability because you've got $45 ish on a 0.5/1 table. Did you buy in low or have you been losing a bit? (the max buy-in is $100).

I'd have......

- Bet more pre-flop up to 6 or 7 to try and thin it down to one opponent.

- Bet more post flop - 2/3rds pot. It wasn't a good flop for you, but you're hoping it wasn't good for your opponents too and 2/3rds is enough to get poor draws to fold.

- Bet more on the river - you've got a full house and want to maximise the pot now - try and bet the maximum that you think your remaining opponents will call / re-raise.

- Banged head violently on the desk when the Queen came on the river - i'm either all-in by now or compelled to call my remaining chips to see whether i've won (which I could have done after all), but that was one lousy bit of bad luck.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I didn't have any reads as I was multitabling and I had just sat down at the table maybe 3 hands prior.
So you did buy in low, and you were multitabling - there's the reason you are losing, not the way you play individual hands