Queens facing a 3-bet pre-flop

T

trebor1993

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently playing 1-3 cash full ring 300 buy in.
I had a stack of 270.
UTG calls (stack of 900)
I am UTG+1 and raise to 18 with pocket queens.
Played on the button flats.
Back to UTG player who three bets to 95.
I shoved over the top for 270 total and he had pocket kings and called.
Would anyone have played this differently ?
He was a strong player but did not have a tight image.

L

Lisavandervelden12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First your 6x BB raise pre is to much. I mighta went for 12-14. But thats besides the point.

His limp 3 bet screams aces to me. Thats a very tough hand man. You cant just call the 95. Its either all in or fold. Im not saying I woulda folded. Because I probably would have thought, "man he has aces"and still called.

With a 3 to 4x bb pre raise instead of 6x, maybe his 3 bet might have been an ammount (say $60) that allows you to call and see the flop and maybe get away from it on flop.
Your larger preflop raise though makes it so his 3 bet is a third of your stack basically and just flatting isnt really a good option...idk man. Tough hand.

Just a sick cooker bro.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His bet says fold to me. Now depending on what hes shown down but even still with my luck i dont want to race against AK. Im not much of a flipper. If im him and someone raises 6xbb im thinking J's on down and him betting 95 is basically putting you all in cause whos just gonna call with stack of 250 on a 95 bet?
Since when in poker did the norm stop being the norm. You see all kinds of odd betting sizes these days. What happened to 3 to 4xbb being the norm? His 3bet over you must have been the pot 3bet cause 3x 18 isnt 95
So he is thinking since you WAY over bet 1-3 to begin with that you arent going to fold your J's on down to any bet which you didnt and his K's are gold!!
Me i would have Min raised or 3x at most. The skill part of poker is limiting your losses. Not seeing a pocket pair and thinking of a double up.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot man. QQ can be a really difficult hand to play when another player is showing a lot of aggression to you. As others have said, limp + big raise is a move that is frequently done with AA. Still, a player could easily be making a move with a range like AK/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA. I agree with others that your raise could have been sized better so that you wouldn't be forced into a push/fold decision on a 3-bet. That's probably the best lesson you could take away from this hand.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
You should have played a little more passive watching the community cards if you managed to fit a trio when aggravated the increase, as several times I said in different comments not always a strong hand is winning and more if it is not the strongest and sometimes it is better to throw the cards even if you have a strong pair in case the opponent paid you is because he has a good project or the hand won.
but be positive about these things you learn and improve in the game

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given you knew villain’s a strong player tells me I fold. 900 stack isn’t all luck. I experienced this scenario multiple times when playing in Vegas. First 2-3x bb is my raise and then call. I want to see the flip but you’d also be at risk of all lower cards and now you’re thinking shove. Did you notice him limping any time or does he always limp with strong hands? If he had a nit or weak image, I’m shoving all day but biggest difference is that you knew he was a strong player so right off the bat I’m auto thinking aces maybe kk knowing I’m holding qq. He’d never shove with jj or ak in that spot

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently playing 1-3 cash full ring 300 buy in.
I had a stack of 270.
UTG calls (stack of 900)
I am UTG+1 and raise to 18 with pocket queens.
Played on the button flats.
Back to UTG player who three bets to 95.
I shoved over the top for 270 total and he had pocket kings and called.
Would anyone have played this differently ?
He was a strong player but did not have a tight image.

For UTG+1 to open, you shouldn't go that big, furthermore there's a limber before you.
I always watch out for UTG limber, they are as dangerous as BTN 2x opener.
Take me for example, the only position i will limb my Aces is UTG, nothing else.

For your case, you went in too fierce to back out when UTG shove on you.
Maybe try 2.5x or 3x bet next time, leave some room for yourself to back out.

M

Maksimus71087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.
So if i see 3bet after my raise with pocket QQ from earlier position i should mind, that his hands are AA, KK or AK. SO I Don,'t push all in, but call and play forward on flop. Check fold i think is the Best way if you dont get queens set.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The call UTG usually shows a lot of strength, and once you get 3-bet so big, you have to put your opponent on AA or KK. It's a fold, but a tough one.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion it is too risky to go all in with QQ after that 3bet.I should have just called and see,at least, the flop.You were unlucky ,anyway