£200 NLHE 6-max: bluffed off a flush

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played some live poker recently and got bluffed off my hand on the river, In hindsight i think it was brilliant bluff by villian. Would anyone else have looked this guy up, im going to have to recreate this hand from memory so bare with me.

Im in the big blind with 72 of spades.

everyone limps, SB completes.
Hero checks.
Flop: (12BB) K82 all spades.
I decide to lead this flop as i figure im going to get alot of calls from spades, and perhaps Kx and 8x hands and im happy to continue if i get raised. I bet on the smaller side perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 pot
Everyone folds except SB who calls my bet.
I cant remember the turn card but i think it was brick like, (it wasnt a spade nor did it pair the board, nor was it an Ace)
SB checks
I continue betting this time around 2/3 pot. SB calls
River is the Ace of spades. Gross.
SB leads into me for Just over a Pot sized bet.
Hero!!??
Im ashamed to say i went all phil helmuth at this point and stood up out of my chair cursing.
Haha. I reluctantly folded as I just didnt think many players would pull a bluff here. Hats of to villian he showed Kc3s.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
can't see what else there was to do. I would have made a 1/2 pot to 2/3s bet to make Villain pay for the privilege of drawing, Doesn't look like it would have made much difference.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to play with your top 33%, the 7s protects you 38% of the time, so you could call instantly if you want to defend your entire blind range. With 6s you are below 31% and with 9s you have more than 50% in your favor. It all depends on how wide you think the small blind is.
But before that, we find ourselves in a multi-way boat. Supposedly your donk bet represents a king without sufficient connection and vulnerable for the texture. While the hands that pay your bet almost always have better implied odds given your playing position. So you can bet bigger on the flop, to compensate for your range disadvantage compared to the rest of the active positions in the hand. 1/2 pot can get more protection. Since the idea is to make the villains believe that we want to knock them out now and deep down, we hope to cash from their best draws.
Another reason to exert more pressure from the flop is to avoid a showdown with an unpleasant hand to show the villains. Our preflop limp is good, but now the luck we had on the flop must be well hidden. Because pure luck is synonymous of weakness, and it is not good to reach the river without having bet big on all the streets and having our opponents see 7 high that he hit from the flop.
So as you played before, It is acceptable your game on the river and yes, it was a good action of villain.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have 72 of spades, that flop can't be all spades, as you already have the 2s

T

tokentalk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How come you have 72s and flop is K82 all s?

Nevertheless, bet bigger on flop and especially turn. You are giving nice odds to A or Ks.

River is marginal. You have a bluff catcher at best. But I would fold.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry (typo) it was a 4s on the flop,

Ah...that makes sense now.

I always play small flushes aggressively. And when that 4th flush card arrives, you will *usually* be dead.

If your villain had the hand that he showed up with, it is highly unlikely that he held on to his stack for very long.

Full Flush Poker