Pocket 8s... bad move?

P

PompeyKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing in a local home tournment. $40 buy in with 22 players and top 5 paid. I had made it to the final table and 7 people remained. I had 4,700 in chips and was UTG, first to act. The blinds were 800 & 1600 and had just gone up. I am considered a very tight player and knew 4 out of the other 6 players.

I picked up pocket 8s, and thought about it for a minute. I decided to go all-in hoping that my super tight image would allow me to take down the pot there. I had one caller, a women who was playing there for the first time. She was second in chips with over 22,000 in chips. She turned over K-10 spades.

The flop brought a K and I did not improve.

My question is should I have just folded the pocket 8s? If I did so, I would have 2,300 left after I went through the blinds and could have lasted at least on more orbit.

What would you have done? :confused:

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without knowing other players stack sizes and postions relative to the blinds, I'm going to say that this is an easy push with a pocket pair and M = 1.9

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played fine, with the blinds so high you absolutely have to push there. Probably shouldve been pushing before that

P

PompeyKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
played fine, with the blinds so high you absolutely have to push there. Probably shouldve been pushing before that

I had thought about pushing in before, but to be honest.. I had about 10 hands where my two cards did not add up to 10..... it was sick....

Strong Dollar1

Strong Dollar1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you had to make a move you were short stacked, and were a favorite to win to her K 10s, so I believe you made the right call...

Afterlife000

Afterlife000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you had to go all in with 8's. You cant just keep waiting for something like AA OR KK because your stack will just keep going down from the blinds. And say you do get AA and all you have is 800 chips, if you double up, you still done have much at all. So you had to do it at that point to have a chance at winning the tourny.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had less than 3 Big Blinds, had to do it.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket 8s are more than enough to push there. You're so short that you have to push any two to keep up with the blinds.

P

PompeyKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks....

Thanks for the responses...
Everyone thinks I did the right thing by pushin in. I felt it was the move I had to make at the time.... but you hate to have to get up from the table and watch the others play... oh well.... there is always next week..
thanks again...!!:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good push. Poker is about making the right decisions and forcing your opponents make the wrong ones. You did both here, but just got unlucky.

I cant believe villian called off over 20% of her stack with a K10 suited. What possible hand she have beat/dominated? She probably wasnt paying attention to your tight image, was feeling very lucky, or she over values hands.

Hopefully next time you play with her, you'll be holding a monster and she can call with her K10s.

Good Luck.

S

shark vs fish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did the right thing, but if you had just passed blinds with free rounds to come, you COULD consider folding. But yeah push is right here.

Disagree with philthy above about how she made the wrong move calling. 7 left, top 5 paying, 20% of her stack KT suited, definitely call. Doesn't hurt her position much but reward is busting you and taking big lead into money. She's a good player to call, fish would've folded.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya good push...u got in with the best hand and u got unlucky and thats part of poker and i guess beginners luck for that lady lol.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pushing here is a no brainer. Think of it this way: If you had waited 7 hands and paid the blinds once, (taking you down to 2300), picked up pocket Aces and doubled up, you'd still have less chips than you do at the moment.

You absolutely can not fold this.

amygrantfan

amygrantfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have done the same thing. with blinds that big, you gotta make a move sometime. that has often been my weakness. i play tight and get blinded out. no risk is no reward.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldnt have been in that position in the first place. But once you are this is an easy push.

What you should have done is, regardless of your cards, pick a few orbits when youre on button, or SB or cutoff, and everyone folds, and raise to steal the Big blind to keep your stack healthy.

Doesnt matter if your cards were bad, its not like the Big blind knows it, and he will need very good cards to play back at you specially since you say youre known as very tight.

G

guazza

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing to say 'bout your decision, but there were others players in your conditions?

P

PompeyKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing to say 'bout your decision, but there were others players in your conditions?

When I pushed, I was second lowest in chips. There were 2 big stacks at the table, the woman who called me and the guy just before her. He knew me and knows that I am a very tight player so he folded. It was my first time playing with the woman who called me.

I think the advise about trying to win some blinds makes good sence. I realize that if I had more of a stack, perhaps I would have just won that pot. I realize that I must use my table image to my advantage, but I have tha fear of busting out. It is that fear that is keeping me from going to the next level!!

Fighting Mike

Fighting Mike

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a good move from you, because when you were staying out and waiting on the blinds to catch you, you'll probably sixth, because everyone is folding with his stacksizes.
Well played and you were unlucky on that coinflip.