pocket 10's in live game

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tonight I was playing in a 0,50/1 NL live game, buying in for only 20€. At the end of the night I'd build my stack to around €65, which is about a days work for me. The game was incredibly wild and people were raising 5x bb all the time. At the last hand of the night I got pocket 10's dealt UTG (6 handed). I limped, hoping to see a cheapish flop and bust someone if I made my set. The guy behind me who was running extremely well raised it to €10 (so 10x BB) and got called by the ultimate calling station behind him (seriously, you could bet bottom pair for value against this guy). After some consideration I decided to cash out my winnings and laid my pocket 10's down.

Could someone please tell me that this was not an insanely bad laydown? :D

*Spoiler*

The pot for around €200 with the calling station calling off 100 bucks for a gutshot while the board came: K-10-9-10-4

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep. Definitely a bad laydown since you would have made quads. ;)

What were your reads on the PF raiser? If this is something he's been doing regularly, I might reraise, if he's a TAG, then folding is fine.

Reads are very important here.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was raising like 60-75% of the hands, but only 3 times the BB, this was the first hand of the night that he made it 10 times the BB, which made me think he did have a big hand. I knew I had the calling station beat, but I really wasn't too sure about the raiser. He turned out to have pocket 9's.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tonight I was playing in a 0,50/1 NL live game, buying in for only 20€. At the end of the night I'd build my stack to around €65, which is about a days work for me. The game was incredibly wild and people were raising 5x bb all the time. At the last hand of the night I got pocket 10's dealt UTG (6 handed). I limped, hoping to see a cheapish flop and bust someone if I made my set. The guy behind me who was running extremely well raised it to €10 (so 10x BB) and got called by the ultimate calling station behind him (seriously, you could bet bottom pair for value against this guy). After some consideration I decided to cash out my winnings and laid my pocket 10's down.

Could someone please tell me that this was not an insanely bad laydown? :D

*Spoiler*

The pot for around €200 with the calling station calling off 100 bucks for a gutshot while the board came: K-10-9-10-4
The sentence in purple I don't like very much, (also buying-in very short) but I can understand wanting to get into a game even if it means you're underolled. Not ideal, but if you just play for fun, then so be it.

Concerning the hand, if you weren't playing with scared money and you really put him on a bigger pp, hand is fine. If you were scared of getting all your money preflop because he might have something like AK and negate all your winnings, hand is atrocious. As it stands, since we are a shortstack, I'd push all day here unless I had a very, very, VERY good read on villain (only raises 10BB JJ and up): he seemed very LAG by your comments and there was dead money in the pot already (calling station's chips).

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I did chicken out and should have pushed there. Playing a €200 pot is way out of my comfort zone. About the buyin: they made it a rule that everyone could only buy in for 20, so that everyone would be shoving like madmans at the start.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand now, but why would you want to play in this game (apart from the fun factor). Everyone playing shortstacks makes preflop play the most important part of play and you end up losing the postflop edge decent to good players have on complete donks.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A friend invited me to play this game, so that's why i joined. I agree that this setting is far from ideal for someone like me (the rest of the table were just horrible horrible players, while I'm just below decent :D). I also got the worst seat available, to my left was the guy who raised 5 times the BB on almost every hand and i'd been carddead for most of the time. The two times i did get a hand it was an easy double up (limp, he raised, calling station called, i move in, aggressor folds and calling station called €20-40 with hands like 6-2/A-3 offsuit, I'm not kidding :D).

But I did make a weak laydown because I was just afraid to lose a nice amount of money, I just hope i learned from it and will be able to pull the trigger next time. It's not like losing 60 bucks is the end of the world and I was the favorite against his range.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've called here simply for the implied odds of having a calling station and maniac in the pot. Big payoff if your tens hit and easy fold if they didnt and you were afraid of an overpair. Seneku we should play together on bodog sometime. :)

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that was one of the options I was considering, but the problem was with my short stack, I had only 65 or so left and had to call 10. Now if I'm purely playing for set value I have to get at least 1 of the others allin and preferably both of them to have +EV, which I wasn't sure about.

I'm not playing on Bodog anymore (sorry, haven't updated my profile in months). I'm playing on stars now.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games