Omaha newbie question

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont have much experience in Omaha, should i have milked this more or play it that strong? It just gets a bit random at times, so if King-Ace_queen comes on turn you dont know if your jacks are good. Is top set strong enough to wait for turn?

pokerstars Game #9348408621: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2007/04/10 - 08:48:11 (ET)
Table 'Oberon III' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: jnash76 ($32.50 in chips)
Seat 3: Whammie22 ($14.55 in chips)
Seat 4: OO-Nasty ($8.75 in chips)
Seat 5: kimmii1 ($28.45 in chips)
Seat 6: alan1983 ($16.65 in chips)
kimmii1: posts small blind $0.10
alan1983: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to alan1983 [9s 9h Js Jd]
jnash76: raises $0.60 to $0.85
geppy777 said, "lol"
geppy777 said, "had u dominated and u sucked out"
Whammie22: folds
OO-Nasty: folds
kimmii1: calls $0.75
alan1983: calls $0.60
*** FLOP *** [Jh 8d 5s]
kimmii1: checks
alan1983: checks
jnash76: bets $2.45
kimmii1: folds
alan1983: raises $7.35 to $9.80
geppy777 leaves the table
jnash76: folds
alan1983 collected $7.10 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $7.45 | Rake $0.35
Board [Jh 8d 5s]
Seat 2: jnash76 folded on the Flop
Seat 3: Whammie22 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: OO-Nasty (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: kimmii1 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 6: alan1983 (big blind) collected ($7.10)

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never give cheap cards in omaha but i am not an expert on the subject:D

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine, although I too am no expert on the subject...

Your problem in this hand is that jnash probably has AA/KK/QQ, and you're out of position. While he'll probably fold this if you check/raise the flop, it's also unlikely he'll bet the turn, and unlikely he'll call another bet unless another 8 or 5 comes on the turn giving him a big 2 pair, or he picks up a draw. I suppose you could call then bet pot on the turn, and hope he's picked up a flush draw.

There are also two possible open-ended straight draws out there, which supports raising, because pretty much any card will put a possible straight on the board, which may kill your action or make his hand.

I think the best bet is to raise fairly small which has the advantage of getting more money in while you have the nuts, and if he has a lower set you can get all the money in now.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never slowplay trips in omaha since there are many ways to lose. The only exception is when I have trip A and I'm against only 1 opponent and the flop looks favorable, but that's me and I'm probably not right doing so. BJ pretty much explained the dangers of that flop so no sense in going back to it. You hear all the time and from all authorities to never give free cards in holdem. While that is probably true, it especially is in omaha.

IMO, you played that right. Don't be disappointed that he folded.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did fine. In Omaha anything that can happen, probably will happen. As it is, you got a bit of luck when they folded to you. Omaha, it has been said, is a game of draws and I see 2 straight draws there. Every card from that point on runs the risk of ruining your set. It is not that often that trips will win a fully dealt Omaha hand unless the field has been drastically narrowed.

Don't worry, be happy!

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check raising is really risky in Omaha. However, with the rainbow board you had and your two 9s in the hole what you did is not a bad play. There are 3 big scare cards such as an ace, king, or queen but that is all. In omaha having only 3 scare cards is actually a great situation. If you bet out however in a cash game you are most likely going to get a call. I think half the pot is a great method to gain increase the size of the pot without announcing you have the nuts.