NL2 | AQ correct call on river?

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you have played this hand differently?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.28 (114 bb)
MP: $2.67 (134 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $1.88 (94 bb)
SB: $3.46 (173 bb)
BB: $1.81 (91 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q A
3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.07, SB calls $0.06, BB calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.21) K 3 3 (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.12, SB calls $0.12, BB calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.57) A (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.28, SB calls $0.28, BB raises to $0.56, Hero calls $0.28, SB calls $0.28

River: ($2.25) Q (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets $0.56, Hero calls $0.56, SB folds

Total pot: $3.37 (Rake: $0.16)

Showdown:
BB shows 7 3 (three of a kind, Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 38%, Flop: 94%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) mucks Q A (two pair, Aces and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 62%, Flop: 6%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

BB wins $3.21

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VPIPs on these players + AF would be useful.

PRE:
All fine and good. you should be assuming the blinds are calling you a little looser than normal players b/c they are getting a better price. Plus your range on the BTN is looser than all positions anyway.

FLOP: Check, check...
My gut feeling is that a C-bet to take it down is fine. They could have a lot of crap here and a lot of heat draws. You don't want to give then a free card, but there are a lot of hands that will stick around.

I gave both villains a 20-24 VPIP here.. against 2 players you have 20% equity. Even with that, I think your bet is for value... you will get a lot of calls, mostly from worse hands.

When they both call, I'm putting them on K8+, (Q9s+ would be here, but you have the queen of hearts), Axs+,J9s+, 44-88, A3o (and A3o is very unlikely, because it probably would check raise)

TURN: With the Ace you now beat a lot of the better hands that were calling. (The Kx and the pocket pairs). You are only losing to trip threes which is highly unlikely.

My instinct would be to bet 1/3 pot... you bet half pot and got called, so your line is more profitable.

When you get min check-raised, you have to think that this is really weird... I'm putting him on Ax of hearts. I don't think you ever fold here.

RIVER:
He bet's out less than 1/4 pot. Easy call. This looks like a weak ace. You could arguably min raise him back... this would only come back to bite you against his exact hand, A3 (unlikely) or JT of hearts (literally two hands), and you would get value out of some of his smaller aces.

So would I have played it differently? Only slightly. I think you played it well. Sometimes this dude has a bs hand... the rest of the time you take his money on the flop... and you make quite a bit of the SB who had a draw or a ten.

Well played.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet bigger on turn and shove on river

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your preflop raise was no where near enough to push out the BB. Once you get the blinds in the hand and see that flop, it's hard to think you have a winning hand.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In preflop you chose a good size to open the boat, the blinds paid you. Do you remember how they played in the previous hands?
In flop your cbet is standard, and I think we have to see where we stand.
Generally at micro levels, the gene usually pays when they have a hand.
Combos that defeat you:
AK (6 combos)
The combos Kx of all the sticks, which will not hesitate to call.
KJ; KT; K9; K8; K7; K6; K5; K4; K2 (27 combos in total) + 6 combos KQ.
Keep in mind, that at this level, many combos that are waiting for their scale, will also pay you:
Ah-Jh; Ah-Th; Ah-9h; Ah-8h; Ah-7h; Ah-6h; Ah-5h; Jh-Th; Jh-9h; Jh-8h; Jh-7h. (11 combos)
This is for you to see, that mostly at this point, you have more combinations that are above you, than below.
On the turn you take the initiative again, with another bet. But BB chooses to double up and SB calls. What is happening?
At this time, we must see how the situation is.
Now they appear on the scene, many combos that would give you a draw:
AJ; AT; A9; A8; A7; A6; A5; A4; A2. Of which, 18 combos are pure draws and 9 combos of hearts, have implicit odds against you, which would give victory to any of the villains, if the third street appears at heart.
Also, you have 6 AK combos that defeat your doubles. And also 2 combos that include 3 and you lose with them.
With your hand you beat all the combos K: 33 combos, calculated above.
Then on the turn, you have 33 combos that defeat, 18 combos draws, 6 combos that beat you and at least 9 combos that could defeat you on the river, if the color line is completed.
That is, on the turn you are 50% favorite against all possibilities.
Now on the river, the color lines failed for the villains. However, new lines were opened with J-T that would give BB the victory. (16 combos defeat you)
On the other hand, now you beat new KQ doubles (6 combos in your favor)
In your same line, you lose with the 6 combos of AK.
Also against you 5 sets combos, which are full house, with which you lose.
A 3-3 combo that defeats you.
And you beat all the Kx: 33 combos. But at that time, it is likely that a lot of amount has been filtered, given the texture of this board. It is more likely at this point, to find combinations of ties with Ax, than wins with Kx.
That is, on the river, the combos that now defeat you have greater weight than the draws.
In addition to the size of the bet being of such a small amount, the villain is probably inducing some bluff from you. Maybe I am thinking of a very strong 3bet. I think that size is a trap. I would do a fold in that place.
Greetings.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q[emoji813] A[emoji814]

Flop: ($0.21) K[emoji813] 3[emoji814] 3[emoji813] (3 players)

Turn: ($0.57) A[emoji812] (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.28, SB calls $0.28, BB raises to $0.56, Hero calls $0.28, SB calls $0.28

River: ($2.25) Q[emoji815] (3 players)

Showdown:
BB shows 7[emoji812] 3[emoji812] (three of a kind, Threes)

BU (Hero) mucks Q[emoji813] A[emoji814] (two pair, Aces and Queens)

BB wins $3.21
I think I'm saving a little money here.... I think you played it right on the turn and river. I just like betting like .07 on the flop....

I would ask yourself, "what am I doing with A3 here?" We are either betting small, or checking right? Or "what am I doing with a Kx?" We are probably betting small, but I see an arguement for a big bet. Or "what am I doing with AA?" Always betting small to get value from a K. Or "what am I doing with QQ-44?" Probably betting big for protection, but if we get called we are probably giving up.

There arent meny situations where we are betting big for value, and continuing with the hand. So if we cant be balanced with our bluffs, why are we gonna bet big?

With that said I'm playing the rest of the hand the same way.... just chalk this up to "playing the micros".... this will happen from time to time against these players that get lucky with garbage.... just put a note on the player and move on.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it's fine. In general, a check min raise on the turn is a monster, especially if it's a MW pot. But still, with your hand strength, you need to call and call the river.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As it is played, I'd agree with all of your decisions. Villain's bet sizes appeared to be on the small size on both the turn and river, and even if it looks like villain has a monster, it'd be hard not to call given the pot odds and the possibilities.

My question to OP is if villain decided to raise larger (like a pot-sized raise) on the turn and shoved on the river, how would you have handled that? I think that would have been a harder call to make...

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question to OP is if villain decided to raise larger (like a pot-sized raise) on the turn and shoved on the river, how would you have handled that? I think that would have been a harder call to make...

Honestly when I saw the min raise on the turn I instantly put him on a 3. I knew he had it for some reason but then again I'd just hit my top pair, and the river made it even harder to fold my hand. I might've folded to a bigger bet size on the turn tho.

T

tuckfrump69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
check flop IP vs 2 villains

betting turn is fine, you can call the min check raise but already I'm thinking I'm beat most of the time

as played fold river, turn check raise+river c-bet is 2 pair and better 90% of the time at 2NL

If you have HUD stats and the guy has a high agro stat call but this defaults to fold

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop its one of those spots, where its kind of difficult to figure out, why we are betting. All better hands will call, so we are not bluffing, and we are not happy when called, so we are not betting for value either. But I guess, we are buying the option to check back the turn and see a free river card, and we are denying some equity as well. So overall I think, the CB is ok, but it would be just as fine to check back and keep the pot smaller.

On the turn we made top pair, which is awesome, but its actually not a slam dunk value spot. The reason is, a lot of made hands will now fold to a big bet, and we still lose to 3X. I can be onboard with a small bet, but even half pot is maybe taking it to far, especially since we are against two opponents. We want them to at least continue with KX here, and not just when they floated out of position with A high, or are drawing to a flush.

And then that min-raise happened, after one player already called. This is a womit spot, and at 2NL I think, this is literally always trips or better. So crazy as it sound, I prefer to just fold even getting these insane pot odds. Hopefully SB will then give action and go to showdown, so we get to see, if he bluffed us or not.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that small a bet, I think you have to call. But hey...villain plays 73 to a raise preflop, so stick around and get his money.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q A

Flop: ($0.21) K 3 3 (3 players)

Turn: ($0.57) A (3 players)

River: ($2.25) Q (3 players)

Showdown:
BB shows 7 3 (three of a kind, Threes)

BU (Hero) mucks Q A (two pair, Aces and Queens)

BB wins $3.21

I think you played this hand absolutely terrible, no reason to double up a guy with aq here, terrible poker, rethink your moves

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
1248/5000

I saw the hand where you lost in your way of acting it was a little passive and inpatient to see that two 3 came out you should be more cautious since when they raise or pay it is a strategy to take advantage of the hand it is easy to guess if that person is doing bluff or is making ganasias of this hand.
Now on your first bet you did call to see how the community cards were formed since you have to keep in mind that your QA
they are of a different suit, to form a color it is very difficult but not impossible, in this one almost in pre flop only towards call and when seeing the pair of three towards check and not towards rice, but you gave him the opportunity to take percentage of that trios three times in relation to the community cards you must have said that there was a possible ladder since when a player pays you a raise, be sure that he has a good project, something that you did not take into account when checking and paying to see how it develops the game tried to gain strength the pair of AA thing that led you to lose a good amount of your bank.
Finally, the advice I can give you is to be sometimes more cautious and not to get carried away by the possibility of getting a good grip just for a couple or double pair thing that happened to you in this hand.