NL10 6Max Hand Review

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone! I have no one in my life who plays poker so I was looking around online and found this website. I have a hand I was hoping someone would look at and give me advice on. I'm 24 and have been playing poker since I was a kid, but I've only started studying and learning about the game in the last year. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

NL10 6Max
I am in the CO with KcJc

LJ 30bb
HJ 132bb
CO 342bb
BTN 102bb
SB 67bb
BB 188bb

Action
LJ Folds
HJ Raises to 2.5bb
CO Calls
BTN Folds
SB Folds
BB 3bets to 15bb (6x)
HJ Folds
CO Calls

So my main question today is did I make a bad call here? Let me explain why I made it. In the previous hand I 3bet the HJ with KJs (same hand) and won half his stack 130bb the previous hand on a rivered king. But since the hand showed down, they will know I 3bet light sometimes. Thats why I decided to flat the initial raise in this hand. Now when the BB 3bets 6x the initial raise, I thought it seemed like a squeeze play to me. The HJ could be tilted and raised light. I am a LAG type player and very rarely just call unless I'm on the BTN or in the BB. So my hand feels slightly under represented, I'll be in position post flop, I close out the action preflop, the BB is 188bb deep and I have him covered.

Now I stopped you here because the rest of the hand could have influenced some opinions, you know! Like when you flop trip jacks...

Pot 31bb
Flop
3c Js Jh
BB bets 20bb
CO calls
Not much to say here

Pot 68bb
Turn
3c Js Jh 6s
BB bets 50bb
CO calls
Here maybe I should have reraised him allin but I thought that was a bad move because any bluff, flush draw or overpair he had could even fold to a shove. The only hand I thought would call was AJd which beats me so that makes it a silly play to make in my mind.

Pot 163bb
River
3c Js Jh 6s 3s
BB shoves 104bb
CO calls
Before I tell you what he had I want to say something. Until I typed this up I did not realize the 3 gave me a boat and pretty much the nuts. (he never would 3bet 33 preflop, he would just call and take a multiway flop and try to hit a set) I thought I had trip jacks with a king high kicker... I haven't misread a board in a long time, this was pretty bad. So I tanked for about 15 seconds counting his possible flushdraws... AKs, AQs, maybe A10s and AJd... I lose to those 4 hands. Now hands I beat are QQ KK AA hands with a spade in them and AKo with a spade possibly AQo with a spade. So I thought in the moment it was 4 hands I lost to and 5 I beat. Now since the shove was less then the pot I could profitably call math wise...or something. Which now having more time to count it was 19 combos I beat and 4 I lose to. COMBOS not hands! I'll learn someday. I did actually think of those hands during the actual hand but the math stuff happened after the hand ended to be honest. I should start learning to do it during the hand so it can help...

OF COURSE I actually had the nuts and chopped with AJd and beat everything else because I had a boat lol.

BB shows AsKh
"I got his bluff I called with trip jacks"

CO shows KcJc....a full house.......the nuts besides quad 3's..........which he can't have because he 3bet preflop...................................after tanking..............................................................................
Anyways I won 358bb and the Rake came in second with 18bb lol I hate rake
In my defence the 3 of clubs and 3 of spades were super far away from each other on the board!

Also I now understand why the other player insulted me (In spanish, had to google what it meant)

I hope it made you laugh just a little bit lol. Thanks for reading. If you have any advice I'd love to hear it. Never had someone review a hand I played so I figured I'd start with this one and see how it goes!

-Jamalex

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo, I'm likely to 3bet against HJ in this spot. There's nothing wrong with having an image of 3betting light, it might actually be advantageous to you because either your opponent will tighten up or will call lighter/4bet lighter.

Calling pre puts us in a ton of awkward spots later. For example, what happens if the BTN calls and the flop is QJx rainbow? Are we willing to call HJ's cbet with the BTN still to act? Are we willing to call a turn bet if we don't improve? What if the flop comes Jxx rainbow? Are we willing to call 3 streets with TPGK against HJ's bets?

Calling let's the other players behind us know our range kind of sucks and makes us a target for a squeeze too. You're in position against a blind 3bet but what happens next time when the BTN 3bets you? Are you going to call OOP with a weakish suited broadway in a similar situation? Again, if the flop comes Jxx rainbow, how many streets are you willing to go in a situation where you're 3bet by the blinds?

Because of this, I don't really like calling ever in the CO in general

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once you flop trips, the hand pretty much plays itself.

However...I think cold calling the initial raise, and then calling the 3 bet is bad. For exactly the reasons shown by this hand. You were then in a 3 bet pot with a dominated hand. Yes, you got very lucky, but that won't happen very often, and more often you'll end up losing a lot with a dominated K.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands