An NL Hand

P

PokerBonuses

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to NL, having played mostly limit until lately.

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
10 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $32.25
UTG+1: $94
UTG+2: $46.39
MP1: $100.75
MP2: $124.48
MP3: $48
Hero: $27.12
Button: $126.25
SB: $60.50
BB: $112

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is CO with :qd4: :jd4:
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $2, 2 folds, Hero calls $2 (pot was $4.5), 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: :8d4: :kc4: :5d4: ($8.5, 4 players)
BB bets $6, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls $6 (pot was $20.5).

Turn: :10h4: ($26.5, 3 players)
BB bets $10, MP1 calls, Hero calls $10 (pot was $46.5).

River: :as4: ($56.5, 3 players)
BB checks, MP1 bets $10, Hero calls all-in $9.12, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: $0.88 returned to MP1.

Results:
Final pot: $74.74

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise the flop and i bet the BB would have checked to you (notice the river weakness)

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it perfect. Nothing you could have done to get any more from the pot. I think you played it better than you was meant to play it!

You have outs on the flop, so a call is good. You dont wanna take down the pot yet, as you are probably favourite to win, so you wanna build the pot

On the turn, you have so many outs. Again, you wanna be flat calling, and the other players will almost certainly call the river due to your stack size

Nice play

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still a noob with odds, but isn't his flop call a bad one in terms of odds?

$6 to call in a $20.5 pot ($8.5 in the middle +$6 +$6)
20.5/6 = 3.41

so pot odds are 3.41:1

odds to hit a flush from flop--->turn are 4.88:1 so he is calling against the odds (right?)

or are we taking pot odds into account?

(i understand once the turn brought the straight draw on top of the flush, he had odds to call)

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ChuckTs said:

$6 to call in a $20.5 pot ($8.5 in the middle +$6 +$6)
20.5/6 = 3.41

so pot odds are 3.41:1

odds to hit a flush from flop--->turn are 4.88:1 so he is calling against the odds (right?)

or are we taking pot odds into account?

(i understand once the turn brought the straight draw on top of the flush, he had odds to call)

He has 9 outs to the flush on the flop, giving him a 34% chance of hitting (roughly 3/1) so pot odds are about right for a call

As you said, the turn actually gives him more outs

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ChuckTs said:
If the turn was the last card dealt, then yes. But it isn't - in fact, because he's almost 35% to hit his flush by the river, he will make money if more than two people come with him on the flop. This is a clear call.

Joose, I don't like a flop raise, because I want to keep the implied odds up. If you raise here and hit your flush you don't want them to check to you. You have perfect position, because of the aggressor and the caller in between. If you hit your flush you will be able to trap them both.

Well played, by all accounts. The turn did you bring you another 6 outs, so no doubt about the call there.

One thing, though: This is a $100 NL table. May I ask why your stack was so small? It's okay to play small stacked now and then, but you could have made a lot more money off of this hand if you had had a bigger stack. I generally don't recommend intentionally playing shortstacked since it hurts your implied odds a lot.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands