nl 2 zoom 6 max good or bad preflop fold

P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Zoom Hand #202193035054: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2019/07/10 22:43:13 CET [2019/07/10 16:43:13 ET]
Table 'McNaught' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Robso88_n ($6.23 in chips)
Seat 2: MaCTeP2107 ($2.04 in chips)
Seat 3: superjod218 ($2.23 in chips)
Seat 4: Fr3dST ($3.02 in chips)
Seat 5: Vseslav85 ($4.30 in chips)
Seat 6: STAIRUS1989 ($3.86 in chips)
Seat 7: sasha1960ss ($1.33 in chips)
Seat 8: Bugiel ($2 in chips)
Seat 9: Ups I Do It ($1.97 in chips)
MaCTeP2107: posts small blind $0.01
superjod218: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ups I Do It [9d 9c]
Fr3dST: folds
Vseslav85: folds
STAIRUS1989: folds
sasha1960ss: raises $0.04 to $0.06
Bugiel: folds
Ups I Do It: calls $0.06
Robso88_n: folds
MaCTeP2107: folds
superjod218: raises $0.20 to $0.26
sasha1960ss: calls $0.20
Ups I Do It: folds
*** FLOP *** [9s 4d 5h]
superjod218: bets $0.29
sasha1960ss: folds
Uncalled bet ($0.29) returned to superjod218
superjod218 collected $0.57 from pot
superjod218: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $0.59 | Rake $0.02
Board [9s 4d 5h]
Seat 1: Robso88_n (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: MaCTeP2107 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: superjod218 (big blind) collected ($0.57)
Seat 4: Fr3dST folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Vseslav85 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: STAIRUS1989 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: sasha1960ss folded on the Flop
Seat 8: Bugiel folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Ups I Do It folded before Flop

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its pretty close but not a bad fold. More importantly would you have questioned your decision to fold, if the flop had come AK2 or QJ4? Probably not. And then there is also no reason to question it, just because you would have flopped well.

One of the first things, you need to learn in poker, is to separate yourself from the results. Its a long term game, and all decisions are based on mathematical probabilities, not knowing when some "lucky" card is going to come. ;)

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your required equity is around 27%. You are gonna flop a set 12.5%, so if you are gonna rely solely on making a set on the flop, that would be a bad call. If it were 44 or 55 I'd be folding, but 99 has more post flop game, It comes down to villain's 3bet%. 0-5% you are facing a lot of overpairs to your nines, but against somtething like 10+ you are doing better.You also gonna have position postflop, so I'd be inclined to calling most of the time unless, against a really tight range.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your required equity is around 27%. You are gonna flop a set 12.5%, so if you are gonna rely solely on making a set on the flop, that would be a bad call. If it were 44 or 55 I'd be folding, but 99 has more post flop game, It comes down to villain's 3bet%. 0-5% you are facing a lot of overpairs to your nines, but against somtething like 10+ you are doing better.You also gonna have position postflop, so I'd be inclined to calling most of the time unless, against a really tight range.

Its 2NL full ring Zoom, which tend to play insanely nitty. Without HUD-data its reasonable to assume, his overall 3-bet is 3-5% based on the game. He is also in BB seat, so he have a lot of incentive to just call. Typically 3-bet ranges are much wider from SB seat.

P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oponnents was 2 nit regulars so I fold

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oponnents was 2 nit regulars so I fold
The thing here is, if they are really nitty players then it's even better to call these pocket pairs preflop, because they will often have just AA and KK when they 3bet you. This means that when you hit a set, you will be able to stack them more often then if someone was 3betting all kinds of trash that will not connect to the flop as often (AA and KK don't really need to connect to the flop that often).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing here is, if they are really nitty players then it's even better to call these pocket pairs preflop, because they will often have just AA and KK when they 3bet you. This means that when you hit a set, you will be able to stack them more often then if someone was 3betting all kinds of trash that will not connect to the flop as often (AA and KK don't really need to connect to the flop that often).

The problem is those times, you dont flop a set. Are you then going to fold to their flop C-bet on 622, 743 or even T62? That require a lot of discipline, and at least you beat AK and AQs. So you talk yourself into calling, turn is another low card, the nit bets again, and now what?

And then there are those times, where flop comes K94 or A97. YES!!! you think, I flopped my set, and now I am going to stack this nit. All the chips go in, and he flip over a higher set, so its a set over set cooler. Or he hits it on the turn or river.

Typically setmining is not as great, as people think, so if you are going to call a 3-bet with a pocket pair, it need to be at least partly for the showdown value, which the pair has in itself. Which work better against players with a wide 3-betting range.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is those times, you dont flop a set. Are you then going to fold to their flop C-bet on 622, 743 or even T62? That require a lot of discipline, and at least you beat AK and AQs. So you talk yourself into calling, turn is another low card, the nit bets again, and now what?

And then there are those times, where flop comes K94 or A97. YES!!! you think, I flopped my set, and now I am going to stack this nit. All the chips go in, and he flip over a higher set, so its a set over set cooler. Or he hits it on the turn or river.

Typically setmining is not as great, as people think, so if you are going to call a 3-bet with a pocket pair, it need to be at least partly for the showdown value, which the pair has in itself. Which work better against players with a wide 3-betting range.
Of course, I agree with that, all that you mention above is correct. That is where other villains stats come in handy that's when you start looking at their cbet percentages (3bet pots, out of position, in position), what are his double barrel numbers, the exact board textures to see what even are his bluff combinations if any... Combine that with the positions and stack depths and you have a good formula for setmining profitability I think.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not a pure set mine so i would call,the squeezer can have a wider range than usual and you get better implied odds with the other caller.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. Read less stack size to little to set mine vs such big bet.

Folding in Poker