Nightmare hand In Hold Em

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a Nightmare hand I ran into on party poker.
Limit 20/40 Hold em
I get AK of clubs in middle position.

Someone raises before me. I reraise. Then I get reraised. So I cap it before the flop. Five way action.

Flop: A (s), J (clubs), T (c)

early position bets, I reraise, I get reraised, My reraised gets reraised. (capped). My thoughts on this were great some idiot has just flopped the nut straight and maybe a set, but I have outs I am drawing at the nut flush and If I catch a Q (c), I make the royal.

Turn 3 (c)

early position checks, I bet, I get reraised and my reraiser gets raised and the early position caps it. Now I am like WTF is going on. I have the nuts. My thoughts now are the straight draw is dreaming and maybe a set is out there and maybe someone has a dinky flush. (capped again)

River t (h)

Early position bets, I am pissed now but i call, then I get reraised, and then a fold, and the first position calls and I call.

I have ak (c)
early position has jj
late position has aa

do you think I should have called the last bet?
What a Nightmare hand for me, to lose such a big pot

Tell me what you think?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people may disagree with me but personally, I would have folded after the turn. It seems to me you can't invest so much to chase a flush. Of course, that's me. I'm not a "river chaser" especially when it costs me a good hunk of my stack. Even so, I would have folded after the river if I did decide to chase. Usually, players don't raise that much with one pair. Well, good ones anyway. Tough break.:(

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i had the nuts on turn not one pair

hey i had the nuts on the turn, not one pair, I would have folded one pair no problem

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t1riel said:
Some people may disagree with me but personally, I would have folded after the turn. It seems to me you can't invest so much to chase a flush.

Errr...

Anyway, nothing you can do. Opponents drawing to 6 shared outs and 1 other out each on the turn, and the pot is so big I can't really find a fold on the river, though there are two other people in and you're only ahead of a hideously overplayed straight/AQ or the world's most stupid bluff, so ditching the hand does make sense as long as you don't read the players for complete idiots. Not even like anyone could be drawing to the Ac or Kc on the turn as you had them both.

Just one of those things.

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree

Pot was too big and I could not muck it, but geez what a concidence on that hand. I was playing over my normal limits too. I am usually a 5/10 limit player. SO the swelling really got me. Maybe next time I can muck and Save the extra money, but I bet I dont. The players at the higher limits will keep pushing their hands. I have been in hands that they have 22 out there and keep raising and reraising. Ive called down guys that have played decent the hour ive been at the table and poof they show 22 with three face cards on flop. and they raise the whole way.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have reads indicating that they'll stupidly play random crap hands that way then it's well worth calling down the river, as you only need to have the better hand a small percentage of the time for it to be a positive move in the long run because of the pot size.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like a nightmare hand to me. You made your flush and had it not been for the pairing of the board on the river it would have been a dream, not a nightmare. i think it's hard to get away from it at that point and if you can do it, your a better player then i am

-n

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough hand, especially with the nut flush.

You said in your first post that you put one of your guys on a set. Surely when the board paired you must have been a bit suspicious. I think a bit more on the read of the guys you were up against would be needed to make a judgement on this one.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very true hands like that don't come along very often! Well you were behind on the flop but you didn't know it. Just for shits and giggles lets run the numbers and see if you played correctly! Looks like 5 way to the river "I think!"
OK PREFLOP 5way cap so 20 or 21.5 bets. We'll go with 20 for arguements sake. You are behind on the flop so you are drawing. 4 bets to win 40 good to go!
Turn you have the best possible hand 8 bets to win 80. now your opponents are behind they were geting 10:1 from the pot with what they THINK, actually worse but they don't know that, are 10 outs apiece 10/46 so 1/4.6. So the odds here justify their plays The immediate odds say they played correctly. When the river hit it is simply a matter of judgement save the bets or not? with 2 opponents still in pretty safe to say one of them has a boat but with a huge pot like that and only 2 big bets to call I would have also called. OK my brain hurts feel free to check my math my forum mates! Probaly missed something!

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ever think of folding preflop? it might be a bit hard to laydown AK suited, but with a raise, then a re-reraise, then it gets capped...AK is looking pretty, but not very strong. i think a fold here wouldve been a decent decision, though very tough.

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should have folded but it sure is hard to fold AK suited, because in the bigger games, players tend to play small pp and suited connectors extremely hard. I have seen 5 way action capped by 45 suited and they end up taking the pot. It is just hard for me to fold, but the hand would have paid off should the river not paired the board.... I dont know, I believe if you dont gamble a little you will never win big. That thinking got me on this hand...

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of no guts no glory. Hard to fold the nut flush though but you made the correct call. If you folded and indeed have the winning hand would you have thought you made the wrong call?? You lost because you played a pretty darn good hand that only lost to a better darn good hand. Better to lose to a great hand then to some donkey who chased and chased that beat you.

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya im a gambler (when i have big cards), and if i would have just made top pair i would have folded, but that hand was just too big, I mean I was Drawing at the REAL NUTS (Royal Flush) with a pair of aces and king kicker. I was in call mode when i made top pair and nut flush draw. Anyone know how to fold that hand after the flop.... I am usaully a very patient player but I am ultra aggressive and that gets me into trouble sometimes, but on the other hand when i try to down play my hands, I get super sucked out on. Anyone got any ideas....

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say tax em while you can, cause they would tax you....

D

drugsarebad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have called for sure with the size of the pot

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands