Micro Stakes Help Needed With Leaks in Post Flop Play

neil1603

neil1603

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I've been playing poker for about 10 years as a means of relaxation and fun after a busy days work. I'm not a serious player particularly I don't do massive volumes, maybe about 10,000 hands a month at the moment. I do win, a little :)

Lately I've concentrated on cash games more and I've been working on getting better. I play .01/.02 NLHE Full Ring on FullTilt bankroll is around $40 this is basically money left over and $25 Take Two payout made after I withdrew my main backroll after a horrendous down swing.

I also play .02/.04 NLHE Full Ring at Merge with a bankroll of around $280 and .02/.04 Euro on Victor Chandler on the Entraction Network with a bankroll of around 130 Euros

That's the background, I use PT3 and multi table between 4 and 6 tables depending on site.

My big problem is leaking money post flop, I'll post hands histories as they come up. When I think I've got it wrong or when I need reassurance I did it right. Any comments will be greatly appreciated :)

This one happened this afternoon and I often find myself in this position, Should I have played this differently?

Full Tilt - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $2.22
SB: $2.00
Hero (BB): $3.31
UTG: $2.09
UTG+1: $2.13
MP: $1.22
MP+1: $1.67
CO: $2.39

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K J

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.16, 2 players) 6 T A
SB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.40, 2 players) 3
SB bets $0.30, fold

SB wins $0.38

Last edited:
jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $2.22
SB: $2.00
Hero (BB): $3.31
UTG: $2.09
UTG+1: $2.13
MP: $1.22
MP+1: $1.67
CO: $2.39

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K J

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.16, 2 players) 6 T A
SB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.40, 2 players) 3
SB bets $0.30, fold

SB wins $0.38

Try and plan ahead the streets with what would happen if villian did different things. For example when you call the river what was your plan? Folding to a 2nd barrell? Raising to rep the ace. or bet if he checked to you?
Calling to try and hit the Q isn't great as the odds are poor. If you hit a K or J you still won't know if you're good against villian who might have an ace.
Against an unknown villian with the above hand, i'd just fold the flop. Against a loose and v. aggressive villian who steals 90% of hands and plays agg post flop, you could re-raise pre to build a big pot as he'll likely pay you off if you hit a K or J or re-raise flop to rep the ace.
Basically play the player a lot of the time.

neil1603

neil1603

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, this player I had very little information on, he had just joined the table. Just folding after the flop feels like showing weakness, knowing that often they will be c-betting with a missed hand. I'm sure this is a big leak that I have because I often call like this to fold the next street. I need to park the ego and stop thinking I'm being bluffed all the time perhaps that will help.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks fine to me as long as you're plan was to bink a queen or bet the turn if he checks

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, this player I had very little information on, he had just joined the table. Just folding after the flop feels like showing weakness, knowing that often they will be c-betting with a missed hand. I'm sure this is a big leak that I have because I often call like this to fold the next street. I need to park the ego and stop thinking I'm being bluffed all the time perhaps that will help.

Floating is fine. Just learn when and how to do it.

neil1603

neil1603

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks fine to me as long as you're plan was to bink a queen or bet the turn if he checks

The plan was to bet the turn if he checked, the only problem is in the micros they very rarely seem to want to give up.

Floating is fine. Just learn when and how to do it.

Thanks for the link, I get the principals of floating I think I just need to work out how to identify the right villains to use it on.

My thoughts on this type of hand are, is this truly the correct way to play (as I did) should I really have folded or am I better to raise after his bet say 3x his bet in the hope that he is bluffing and he folds or if he doesn't fold he will maybe check the next street and give me a cheap draw.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO because this guy is new to the table and you have no info I think you are better off letting him have this one on the flop. Flop was not great and you dont have any info on him and he on you (so you have no fold equity against him). Watch him and get info on how he plays.

Good chance he has Ax or a hand like K10-J10 as if he is a good player he would raise pre and value bet with these types of hands in SB. If he is a poor player you will find out soon and can exploit your Position on him in better situations.

If you knew his play and he knew yours then you could make plays accordingly. I personally dont like making moves against unknown players when I have only mid strenght hand. By calling flop what happens if you hit the K? Now you have second pair against an unknown who raised pre and there is the str8 draw on the board. My point is calling pre you only have 4 outs where you can feel confident and a bunch of ways to loose $ and you dont have any info on how he plays.

BTW IMO I dont think a fold on the flop is a weak play but it tells Villan you dont leak chips and gives the next time he c-bets and you call more strenght.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine. bluff-raising is also fine too on the flop, but floating is likely the safest line. Nice hand.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose floating to try to get the opponent off a bluff was really the best way for you to win the pot since you were probably way behind here. For outs on the flop, you had to hit running kings, running jacks, a king and jack, or a queen to beat villain assuming he only had an ace. If he had a set of pocket 6s or 10s, we are even more behind with only 4 outs with the queen. Since this is a new player, I would fold preflop since I dont think folding, especially to a new player always signals weakness.