KQs facing over bet OTF

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is unknown. Super weird line by villain otf. I thought it was some sort of exploitative play with something like A2s or AA. How would you play here and what range of hands can villain have when he over bets?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 5 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $7.97 (80 bb)
CO: $8.59 (86 bb)
BU: $10.00 (100 bb)
SB (Hero): $10.63 (106 bb)
BB: $10.15 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with K Q
1 fold, CO raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) K 2 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($4.70) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $8.33 (all-in), CO calls $6.29 (all-in)

River: ($17.28) 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $17.28 (Rake: $0.86)

Showdown:
SB (Hero) shows K Q (two pair, Kings and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 75%, Flop: 92%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

CO shows J Q (two pair, Queens and Twos)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 25%, Flop: 8%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

SB (Hero) wins $16.42

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont question what the Fish is doing, hes allowed to do everything.
Just take a note and if you see him again in like 1 month once hes decided to gamble again, you know hes capable of doing that.

From a logical point of view, if villain ever had a 2 here would he overbet? Most likely no, because he wants value. And a 3x Overbet on the flop looks pretty scary if you ask me^^

Also, are you shotting nl10? you were playing Nl2 last week. Mind that BR management Sir :p

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id question the CO shove by Hero your allowing exactly what we dont want to happen. And that's the opportunity for villain to fold worse hands like QJ. Uour better off checking the turn now and allowing villain to shove the turn and keep all the in villains range. Villain could easily have random air here like A9 or something that we want to shove and not to fold.

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a big fan of preflop calling from SB vs late positions, but that's rather a minor point here.

OTF you have the best hand in your range, and villain is doing some crazy shit, so calling is obviously the best option here (gj for not getting scared like "I'm always beat here").

On the turn, however, while you improved to KKQQ, you only moved ahead of his AK, his AA/2x still have you crushed. So your best chance here is to check and to allow your opponent bet whatever they had there (be it an airball, random Kx, Qx or actually something nutted).

I mean, the guy bet $2 on the flop with a backdoor straight draw, clearly he doesn't care too much about how to choose bluffs and bet sizes. Just let him put another barrel in with his JT, J9, T9, AT, AJ, flush draws or whatever nonsense he could have there.
Luckily for you, he ended up having a hand that he might've checked the turn with, and you got the value this time (though you could also get it on the river in case it goes check/check).

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And btw, exploitative 3x overbets on dry boards aren't really a thing. As someone said, don't try to figure out what the fish thinks, just let them hang themselves in one way or the other.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, I guess I am a huge fish because I probably would have folded to that flop bet. How often should we call there?

Turn I think is a check most of the time. If he bet that large you'd want him to continue, hard to imagine he'd call your bet with his bluffs. :p

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, I guess I am a huge fish because I probably would have folded to that flop bet. How often should we call there?

Turn I think is a check most of the time. If he bet that large you'd want him to continue, hard to imagine he'd call your bet with his bluffs. :p

As said, 3x overbet looks very scary... But what can he realisticly have here? Would villain ever do that with KK or A2? there is 2 combos of A2s, 1 combo of KK and 8 combos of AK, also 1 combo of duces. Makes 12 Combos vs his entire 3bet-callingrange, wich should be pretty wide cosidering hes playing IP.
Also if he had any of those why would he 3x overbet? That screams "please fold" to me...
So id call here 100%. Unless ure playing vs a huge nit. But vs unkwon allways call.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id question the CO shove by Hero your allowing exactly what we dont want to happen. And that's the opportunity for villain to fold worse hands like QJ. Uour better off checking the turn now and allowing villain to shove the turn and keep all the in villains range. Villain could easily have random air here like A9 or something that we want to shove and not to fold.

Totally agree a check here on the turn was the best play. You got paid off so it worked but you are still getting beat to some hands also. You gave him a chance to get away and you want to give him the chance to hang himself

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he was tilted a lot.
If you saw his tilt so big overbet means totally air or some pockets <K, tilted ppl love slowplaying with big hands.
If you didn't know about his tilt you just guessed with the call but that was bad call because his betsize showed us 2x or AA. Also there is always the chance of bluff and KK/22 in any ops condition.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, are you shotting nl10? you were playing Nl2 last week. Mind that BR management Sir :p
I do still grind at nl2 and occasionally at nl5. There were no nl2 or nl5 tables available at that time so I thought maybe I should take a $10 shot at a full ring. I shipped a freebuy MTT few days ago for $82 so I got about $360 atm. But yeah it was a one time shot for the time being :D

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I prefer 3-betting rather than calling out of position. When you get to the point, where you are ready to expand your 3-betting range, KQs is one of the hands, that should often be 3-bet rather than flat called

Flop
This is a tough one. Without a read, I kind of prefer to just let it go. But as someone has said, it seem like, the Villain was on tilts, which you should be able to have an idea about, since you were the one playing with him. And in that case, then I am also calling with a good top pair.

Turn
I am not a fan of donk betting here. You still lose to AA and 2X, and the worse he is, the more 2X, he can have. Even a good player can have A2 from CO, so he have at least 14 combos, that still have you crushed. And if he is bluffing, as we are sort of hoping, then he is just going to fold. You got very lucky, that his bluff improved on this card, which allowed him to make a tilted bad call.