KK, A flops, what to do on river?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet out, check/call or even try for a check/raise on the river here? I can't really find a fold here unless I bet out and am raised. Also feel free to comment on the flop/turn play. Main villain is typical loose/passive party donk.

***** Hand History for Game 3223168746 *****
$0.50/$1 Texas Hold'em - Sunday, December 18, 16:25:44 EDT 2005
Table Table 64818 (real money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 8: vegas7930 ( $15.75 )
Seat 10: Qhr1s0 ( $40.08 )
Seat 4: MT_PBRking ( $46.69 )
Seat 6: The_Breezer ( $18.12 )
Seat 2: BabyWiss ( $44.75 )
Seat 9: Jameflame ( $40.87 )
Seat 5: stormtalker ( $15.25 )
Seat 7: scottishpie ( $30.88 )
Seat 3: BornFighter ( $24.25 )
Seat 1: jaquarius28 ( $18.75 )
scottishpie posts small blind [$0.25].
vegas7930 posts big blind [$0.50].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Qhr1s0 [ Kd Ks ]
Jameflame folds.
Qhr1s0 raises [$1].
jaquarius28 folds.
BabyWiss calls [$1].
BornFighter folds.
MT_PBRking raises [$1.50].
The_Breezer folds.
scottishpie folds.
vegas7930 folds.
Qhr1s0 raises [$1].
BabyWiss calls [$1].
MT_PBRking calls [$0.50].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, 2c, Ad ]
Qhr1s0 bets [$0.50].
BabyWiss calls [$0.50].
MT_PBRking folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5h ]
MT_PBRking: sigh
Qhr1s0 checks.
BabyWiss checks.
** Dealing River ** [ Ts ]
Qhr1s0 ???

Last edited:
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop bet looks good to me.

I'd bet the turn, too. Checking here tells him that you don't have the ace, and I wouldn't want him to smell weakness and scare me off on a bluff. I presume you'd have folded the turn if he bet after you checked?

Anyway, I bet the turn also, and check/call the river.

In this case, I'd check/call the river. He might have had only a pair of nines on the flop, but he could have improved to two pair with the 10 that fell.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flop looks ok, i would bet a test bet, if he calls then on the turn i would lead out with a higher bet, if he calls again i`d probally check the river, if he bets then, if its a small bet i would call, but if its a big bet i would fold.
What was the outcome,did he have the Ace??? buck

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like limit poker?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, dont understand not betting the turn here, youve given him a free oppurtunity here to hit his hand. Id say donk has a pocket pair here and is afraid of the Ace. Id say 10 10 (ouch) JJ :)) ) QQ ( :) ) or at an outsider KK.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with TenBob. I don't think he has an ace (no flop raise) and I would definately keep firing bets into the pot on the turn and the river.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That min. bet from EP told you nothing about the other hands at the table. Doesn't mean it was wrong, but it's an invitation for marginal hands in LP to try their luck. Nice payoff when things go your way, but when they don't...?
Standard Continuation bet and then done. That .50 flop bet was clumsy. Dan Harrington would call this "entering the dark tunnel." What was your plan? Not slow playing for sure. Was it going to drive off Ace Rag? 22? 99? Nope. Checked the turn? Why? Do you want him to improve his hand? All-in-all a weak performance Chris. I can't even give it a gentlemans "C" for effort.
I have no idea how you should bet the river. Check and then call I guess.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what? I agree with your check on the turn since you were out of position. A check does 2 things: 1) You can gain some info. 2) It lowers your loss if he does have an Ace. (His turn check likely means either he's got something low/nothing & is chasing OR he's got Ace-rag & is afraid you've out-kicked him.) Now bet the river. If he calls & you lose, you only spent one small & one large bet after the flop. If he calls & you win, you only missed one large bet. If he raises, you can either call it knowing you saved that turn bet and can spend it now or fold if you're sure he's got an Ace (based on his previous hands).

Bottom line: Your position hurts you here more than the Ace by itself. Gives him more chances to bluff.

Last edited:
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Four Dogs said:
That min. bet from EP told you nothing about the other hands at the table. Doesn't mean it was wrong, but it's an invitation for marginal hands in LP to try their luck. Nice payoff when things go your way, but when they don't...?
Standard Continuation bet and then done. That .50 flop bet was clumsy. Dan Harrington would call this "entering the dark tunnel." What was your plan? Not slow playing for sure. Was it going to drive off Ace Rag? 22? 99? Nope. Checked the turn? Why? Do you want him to improve his hand? All-in-all a weak performance Chris. I can't even give it a gentlemans "C" for effort.
I have no idea how you should bet the river. Check and then call I guess.

I'm not so sure he's allowed to bet more than $.5 before the flop.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
F Paulsson said:
I'm not so sure he's allowed to bet more than $.5 before the flop.
Oh, was that limit? I missed that. That would would explain the betting pattern and pretty much make my last post useless dribble. Sorry.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ooh, I'd forgotten about this. Here's my train of thought...

- Raise/Cap preflop is obvious.
- Bet on the flop is for cheap information. If MT_Pbthing (standard player) has AK/AQ, he will raise and I will fold. The calling station (BabyWiss) hasn't really entered my mind yet.
- On the turn, having been called by the calling station, I have no idea where I am. I just want to see a cheap showdown now, as if I bet I am gaining no information - he could be calling me down with 44 or Ax.

- I checked the river, he bet, I called, he showed 88 and I was a happy bunny, but there is still a nagging feeling that I missed a bet on the turn. Bleh.