JJ; set on a flush board

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not arguing that there aren't merits to smooth calling the flop; I just think that raising is a little better.

I do agree that we can induce another bet from a semibluff, but we're also letting the initial bettor in cheap. He could very well be on a flush draw as well, or some other hand that we're losing value to by not raising. Keep in mind either could also have AxKs or AxQs and will definitely stack in that case.

If you're smooth calling to induce further action on the turn, it's not so bad, but if we're doing it to see if a non-spade drops, well that is bad. It reminds me of the player who likes to smooth call kings preflop to 'see if the flop comes safe'.

Oh, and fwiw villain will be getting 1.65:1, approaching the 1.86:1 needed to call profitably with a naked flush draw. I don't see him making a semibluff here without the Qs or Ks, and I see him calling more often than not with both given how aggressive he was with them (especially if he's sitting on a pair + FD).

Our stack size puts us in an awkward spot. At like <$40, a push on the flop looks a little better since there's really no other option. At like >$60, we're sitting deep enough to put in a raise of like half our stack instead of shoving. It seems like $50 is just a little too much to shove the flop, but not quite small enough to put in a standard raise.

I know you know this, but 3-betting that PF will make this a whole lot easier :)

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people say check the flop, but UTG+4 bet allows $treetshark the raise, not hero, who DID only call UTG+4.

Is that dollar sign in the name preventing a CR/LF in the Cardschat program? It makes it hard to see which players are in.

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still say let this hand go/check down cheaply, if you don't have much commited to the pot. A strong hand on a nasty flop, where you don't know if your opponent is doing the drawing, of if you are the one doing the drawing, is something you don't want to get stacked for.

Last edited:
L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain calls raise without reraising, which often signals suited connectors much more than a hand like AA, KK, QQ, or AK/AQ. Pretty rare there is a set over set situation on the flop, or that he would go nuts for bottom set on a board like that. Since he is first to act, if he had 77, he would put in some heavy betting here instead of letting it get checked down. If he had a flush draw, he would definetly not be doing any check raising, since he needs a free/cheap turn card. Since he DID check raise with large size, it means he has it, and it is most likely vulnerable to King or Queen spade.

Last edited:
Full Flush Poker