Did I suck out?

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Joined
May 2, 2008
Total posts
540
There's no need to beat up on me too bad ...... I'm inexperienced and I know I make alot of bad moves. Help me out if you can.

How could I have played this better? Should I have backed off when he made the big raise after the flop?

I was sweating that third club on the turn, so I was glad he checked. I would have bolted if he bet hard there.

But he gave me a card ..............


Full Tilt Poker Game #6352442306: Table Sunray (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:45:47 ET - 2008/05/09
Seat 1: nine_ball6970 ($72.25)
Seat 2: jwmpm ($19.60)
Seat 3: TheNoob ($52.50)
Seat 4: xjenniiiix ($25)
Seat 5: Evening Bobby ($31.75)
Seat 6: DrJAT ($25.35)
Evening Bobby posts the small blind of $0.10
DrJAT posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TheNoob [Tc Kh]
nine_ball6970 raises to $0.85
jwmpm calls $0.85
TheNoob calls $0.85
xjenniiiix folds
Evening Bobby folds
DrJAT folds
*** FLOP *** [Kc Th 2c]
nine_ball6970 bets $1.75
jwmpm calls $1.75
TheNoob raises to $5
nine_ball6970 has 15 seconds left to act
nine_ball6970 raises to $15
jwmpm folds
TheNoob calls $10
*** TURN *** [Kc Th 2c] [3c]
nine_ball6970 checks
TheNoob checks
*** RIVER *** [Kc Th 2c 3c] [Td]
nine_ball6970 has 15 seconds left to act
nine_ball6970 bets $56.40, and is all in
TheNoob calls $36.65, and is all in
Uncalled bet of $19.75 returned to nine_ball6970
*** SHOW DOWN ***
nine_ball6970 shows [2h 2d] a full house, Twos full of Tens
TheNoob shows [Tc Kh] a full house, Tens full of Kings
TheNoob wins the pot ($104.95) with a full house, Tens full of Kings
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $107.95 | Rake $3
Board: [Kc Th 2c 3c Td]
Seat 1: nine_ball6970 showed [2h 2d] and lost with a full house, Twos full of Tens
Seat 2: jwmpm folded on the Flop
Seat 3: TheNoob showed [Tc Kh] and won ($104.95) with a full house, Tens full of Kings
Seat 4: xjenniiiix (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: Evening Bobby (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: DrJAT (big blind) folded before the Flop
 
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Total posts
22,973
Here was your only mistake IMO
TheNoob calls $0.85

 
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Total posts
22,973
I like the raise on the flop (could have been a little bigger). The preflop call was the mistake. Fold K 10 preflop.
 
TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Joined
May 2, 2008
Total posts
540
I like the raise on the flop (could have been a little bigger). The preflop call was the mistake. Fold K 10 preflop.


Oh, got ya. I was going in the wrong direction.

Thanks WV.
 
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Total posts
22,973
No problem.

Oh yeah to answer you're question, of course you sucked out (hit 1 of 4 outs on the river). No shame in it and he let you do it by checking the turn. Of course from his prospective you're likely a flush chasing donk so he checks hoping to control the pot or hit his FH. Unfortunately for him he did.
 
pokerace3454

pokerace3454

Guest
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Total posts
177
you have to fold that your out of postion with king ten off suit
 
Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Joined
May 5, 2008
Total posts
7,583
Awards
34
actually in position but its still KTo after flop hard to think you're beat I'd think aces before deuces
 
TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Joined
May 2, 2008
Total posts
540
you have to fold that your out of postion with king ten off suit


I'm pretty late there, aren't I? Button is to my immediate left.


Anyway, I hear the advice that I should not have played the K 10o to begin with.

Sometimes when you're looking at a raise that is basically loose change, it's not hard to make the same mistakes that one can make playing with fake money ....... I guess good poker is good poker whether it's .10/.25 or 300/600


But this is why I ask if it's considered a suck out. I don't have a bad hand after the flop, but when he came over the top, correct play would dictate that I muck? Does a re-raise here make me assume I'm looking at a set?

Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and advice. I appreciate it.
 
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Total posts
8,819
But this is why I ask if it's considered a suck out. I don't have a bad hand after the flop, but when he came over the top, correct play would dictate that I muck?
Sure, if you could *see his cards* you should muck. But you can't see villain's cards. Villain has a range of hands, not just 1 hand. And generally with top 2 pair, you're ahead of that range. So you need to be raising.

While you sucked out on your opponent, that's a suck out that should happen every time. There's no way you're getting away from Kings up on that flop.
 
F

feitr

Legend
Joined
Feb 8, 2008
Total posts
1,570
Yea unless villain is tightest player in the world you should probably shove flop here. AA is making the same move, AK is probably making the same move, AcQc is probably making the same move with nut FD, gutshot and one overcard. JcQc is absolutely making this move (depends on pfr% whether he could have this tho...since he is raising with 22 from UTG im going to presume he raises almost everything) and so is AcTc etc etc. Probably any FD is actually making this move. And if he is LAG then the range is much wider. 22 is basically all that has you beat since KK/TT isn't realistic since all 4 cards would have to be in play so yea you are way ahead of his range and this is a flop shove imo. It was a suck out but you still have a ~16% chance of going from 2 pair to boat by the river so it isn't like it never happens. If somebody raises from UTG i'm certainly not putting them on 22 so i think it would be correct to go broke 84% of the time in this hand post flop (since you really shouldn't have been in the hand).

But easy fold preflop.
 
rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Total posts
126
Yeah you sucked out, but he let you get there by checking the turn.

K10off probably should have been folded preflop, unless this guy is really loose.. but anyway, a lot of hands in his range could potentially be reraising you on a flop like this (i.e- he's holding the straight and flush draw, something like AQs, AJs, QJs, J9s,... AA, AK, KQ, ATs maybe).

Although with the size of your raise, the follow up size of his reraise should have set alarm bells off.. a large bet followed by a reraise of this size probably narrows his range down to more likely be - AA, AK, 22, 10,10, KK. Depending on what this guys been playing like, he's less likely to be reraising the big drawing hands to $15, maybe a min raise with these hands.. but i doubt very much he'd be pumping the pot on the flop when you've shown such strength, if he's on the draw. The $15 reraise strongly suggests that he has a made hand and he doesn't want you drawing out on him cheaply.

I think you were probably correct in calling the flop reraise, with the intention of being prepared to fold the turn if he fired out another huge bet.

This would have been an unlucky hand for someone no matter how it turned out.. you just hit gold on the river! ;)
 
pokerace3454

pokerace3454

Guest
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Total posts
177
yes your in postion sorry and it suck out anyways nice hand :D
 
arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Joined
May 28, 2007
Total posts
2,378
You did technically suck out, but if the guy lets you suck out that is his own fault.

He never put you in a situation that would make it worth folding that hand. He thought he'd try and slow play, he got a kick in his face for it ^^
 
Top