Did I play this hand correctly?

R

Reffgt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in middle position with AQo with two limps in front. I raise to eight, then the button, BB and the two limpers all call.

The flop comes As 7d 4d ... It is checked to me and I bet 25. The button calls, and then the BB shoved his short stack for 45 more. Here is where things got ackward for me. The big blind had been playing wide range and was very agressive. So I was happy to get it in against him... The problem was the guy behind me was grabbing his chips in a way where I knew he wanted to call. We both were 100 bb effective.

Now the guy on button really wasnt getting out of line. He hardly bluffed and usually called/bet top pair good kicker
or better and good draws. I had only played with him for a few hours so I still wasnt totally conclusive with how he played.

Anyways, I ended up folding. He had AJo and the maniac had A8o.... The turn and river bricked out and I would have won..

Now this hand is really bothering me because I think I made a nitty fold.. But I was also considering that he could have possibly made me play for my whole stack with a short stack all in.

What do you guys think? What was the best move here?

By the way this was 1-2 no limit

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your description of the situation is very vague. Is this cash or MTT? There were 4 callers? So 5-handed on the flop? Then you make a bet and action comes to BB who shoves after BTN calls. Are there still another 2 left to act? Is it 45 over the 25 .. so a shove for 70? Or just a shove for 45? Whatever it is, you're rarely out kickered here and sometimes dominated by 2p or a low set. I think most of the time you're ahead and it's a matter of whether you are in cash or tourney mode. In cash I think this is a call and likely a stack-off on the river if the other player doesn't shove before then.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you happen to consider what the BB was holding? Hate to say it, but this sounds like scared poker on your be half.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i feel you

I would have called the all in and then see how the other guy reacted if he shoved then I would call but you need to make up your mind and commit to the hand or fold and forget. I have folded qq and kk preflop just by who raised and when. let it go and don't 2nd guess it. read some of frustrating posts and good luck

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the SPR. If it's around 4 you shouldn't be folding top pair on the flop.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in middle position with AQo with two limps in front. I raise to eight, then the button, BB and the two limpers all call.

The flop comes As 7d 4d ... It is checked to me and I bet 25. The button calls, and then the BB shoved his short stack for 45 more. Here is where things got ackward for me. The big blind had been playing wide range and was very agressive. So I was happy to get it in against him... The problem was the guy behind me was grabbing his chips in a way where I knew he wanted to call. We both were 100 bb effective.

Now the guy on button really wasnt getting out of line. He hardly bluffed and usually called/bet top pair good kicker
or better and good draws. I had only played with him for a few hours so I still wasnt totally conclusive with how he played.

Anyways, I ended up folding. He had AJo and the maniac had A8o.... The turn and river bricked out and I would have won..

Now this hand is really bothering me because I think I made a nitty fold.. But I was also considering that he could have possibly made me play for my whole stack with a short stack all in.

Your preflop raise size was way too low, just inviting callers after 2 limpers. I would have made it at least 12 and it would probably made the whole rest of the hand easier to play.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have jammed, but its a thin choice. You have some blockers to scary hands like AA, AK, QQ, and KQ; and even some equity against hands like KK.

If the same betting took place preflop I think you can get away, but on that flop, in that spot, at 100bb eff., I think you jam.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand Ranges not Hand Strength

Thank you for posting

Yes you played incorrectly. You tried to make a river decision on the flop. We have to play each street with the data that is available to us at the time. Sometimes we will call the 20 and fold to a shove by the BTN it happens. Losing a $135 pot because you made a bad guess is way worse than losing $20 when villain on BTN shoves and we have to fold.

Think of it this way you are getting 7.5-1 on a bet that the button will not raise. I would take a 7.5-1 bet for $20 every time in that situation.

Player reads:
You stated the BTN was gathering chips to make a call. A CALL not a raise. If the BTN was going to jam would they not just sit still and wait for you to call? Maybe even too still or look uninterested in the pot?

Ok how to range a villain?
We see villain is interested in calling the As7d4d. what hands could villain have to still call getting 7.5 -1 or if you call 8.5-1 odds. AA 77 44 A7 A4 true AK-A2 off suit and suited.
KQd-K2d QJd-Q2d J10d-J2d etc etc etc...56 suited-not suited.

This is potentially a loose BTN call in a Loose 5 to a flop game. Even if we can eliminate half that range the $20 is still a call.

The key for you is to never fold easy calls. Make the BTN who plays straight forward non tricky poker raise you out of the pot.

Below is an excellent article on learning about hand ranges.

http://jonathanlittlepoker.com/handrangeanalysis/

Hope this helps

:):)

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you happen to consider what the BB was holding? Hate to say it, but this sounds like scared poker on your be half.
Agree this is scared poker but most of us have been there before at some point.

Your preflop raise size was way too low, just inviting callers after 2 limpers. I would have made it at least 12 and it would probably made the whole rest of the hand easier to play.
Also agree. Every game is different but at a live 1/2 game I have yet to find a table where raising to 8 after 2 limpers is going to do anything other than create a bloated multi way pot. It's still better than calling but unfortunately at this level the fish force you to size up to punish limpers and thin the field.

You had to reshove
Disagree with re-shoving here. This is also scared poker in my opinion. If we shove to chase out the guy who appears to only be calling behind us and not raising we are letting him off the hook. He can play perfectly and fold his smaller Ace or his flush draw.

I think the correct play here is to call and see what develops. If he just calls behind chances are he has a smaller Ace or a diamond draw. When the river bricks out we can value bet and get calls from smaller Aces and mostly folds from missed diamonds.

The threat of a call from a matching stack should be incentive to stay in the hand rather than fold.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haaaaa maaan.. a smalll mistake.. preflop.. too small raise... a bit higher and it was a complete different hand in which you wouldn't have been afraid of shoving all-in postflop then got called by AJ and win!

With AQ, I usually try to isolate instead of inviting people. If I hit top on the flop, I go for the big bet quickly and try a jam.

-TRP-

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands