Did I overbet?

Deathwish238

Deathwish238

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I overbet the river? The SB claimed to have had the King yet he laid it down...

Shorthanded, haven't played many hands with the SB.

***** Game number #16530891126 *****
Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2008/04/06 - 13:16:03 (ET)
Table 'Feronia II' 6-max
Seat 4 (BTN) has the button.
SB posts small blind [$0.02]
BB posts big blind [$0.05]
Seat 1 : Hero with $4.11.
Seat 2 : MP with $8.43.
Seat 3 : CO with $4.20.
Seat 4 : BTN with $5.70.
Seat 5 : SB with $6.80.
Seat 6 : BB with $7.82.
hand.pl

** Dealing hole cards **
Dealt to Hero :
:js4: :as4:
Sklansky group: 2
Hero raises $0.10 to $0.15
MP: folds
CO calls [$0.15]
BTN: folds
SB calls [$0.13]
BB calls [$0.10]
** Dealing Flop ** [Potsize: $0.6]
:3s4: :9s4: :qs4:
SB bets [$0.10]
BB: folds
Hero calls [$0.10]
CO: folds
** Dealing Turn ** [Potsize: $0.8]
:6s4:
SB: checks
Hero bets [$0.10]
SB calls [$0.10]
** Dealing River ** [Potsize: $1]
:kc4:
SB: checks
Hero bets [$2]
[SB] have the king
[SB] sure you have thje ace?
SB: folds
Hero collected $0.95 from pot
Hero: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1 | Rake $0.05
Board [3s 9s Qs 6s Kc]
Seat 3: CO folded on the Flop
Seat 5: SB (small blind) folded on the River
Seat 6: BB (big blind) folded on the Flop

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise the flop, it makes it look less likely that you have the flush and at 5NL, people are ready to stack with any pair a lot of the time so get as much money in as possible on the flop to make your bets bigger on the turn and the river. Also, by flat calling you run the risk of another spade coming which could totally kill your action. The turn bet is awful. You bet 1/8 pot. Bet atleast 60 cents here. Dont mind the river overbet. I probably wouldve just shoved.

Deathwish238

Deathwish238

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose I didn't value bet properly at all...I should have bet more on the flop and turn.

I was afraid of raising the flop as I didn't want to drive him out...

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes you did overbet and I highly doubt he laid down the king of spades. Maybe another king for a pair of kings, and hell maybe he did actually lay down the second nuts, but this was an amazing overbet. You have to raise the flop and turn. You want to build a pot. Look at it this way, you win nothing if he has nothing either way. If you slowplay and he has a hand either you don't get as much money in or he would have gotten it in anyway. Especially at these limits, put money in the pot. You know you have the best hand, you want money in the pot with the best hand.

Deathwish238

Deathwish238

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I guess less trying to trap and/or be "tricky" and more solid value bets. 1/2 the pot or 2/3 the pot?

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go with the 2/3 size bet, gets more money in. Zac makes a good point about if he has nothing you will win nothing either way, so if he does have something you want to make the most of it. The biggest reason that people have trouble beating the microstakes is because they are not value betting thier good hands enough. They get caught up in trying to slowplay and make tricky moves that dont give them good value and they end up usually winning smaller pots on thier big hands, which are not enough to make up for thier bad beats and losses.

brettstix

brettstix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They get caught up in trying to slowplay and make tricky moves that dont give them good value and they end up usually winning smaller pots on thier big hands, which are not enough to make up for thier bad beats and losses.

I have been playing lower limit ring games for a few months now. I agree with the quote above about people flopping a monster hand and their first move is always check. Low limit ring games are full of fish and no-one believes anyone has anything. If you flop the nut flush start getting your chips in the pot.

How often have you seen people call all the way to the showdown with middle pair low kicker only to lose a hand they should never have entered the begin with.

I like your raise pre flop although going from 5 to 15 cents on these tables does not eliminate a lot of players. If you were looking to make a play here a better method would be to bet the flop and check the turn. Looks weak like you were making a play at buying the pot post flop. That is assuming someone calls the bet.

Deathwish238

Deathwish238

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting the flop and checking the turn doesn't sound like a bad idea

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet pot on the flop. zachvac hit the nail on the head. you've got the best hand so you need to build the pot. If you slowplay and he has a hand you don't get as much money as you should. If he has nothing he isn't going to call either way. You'd be hoping the opponent thinks the strong bet on the flop actually means the 3 spades on the board are worrying you... inducing him to chase the four card flush draw if he has it.