Did I over play AK

C

codybennett14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Game is 1-2 with 9 players I’m 160 effective stack size. Previous hand I correctly folded AK diamonds under the gun +1 with top pare drawing dead on turn against a set of 7’s. Now I’m UTG with ace of spades king of hearts. I open to 20 large raise but I’m out of position and don’t want a bunch of calls. UTG +1 calls Lowjack calls. SB makes it 115. Back to me and I think there’s 60 in the middle of dead money and opt to jam the rest of my 160 stack. Lowjack backjams over the top? After cold calling my 20 open and seeing a 6x 3-bet. And 4-bet all in. Strangest play I’ve seen with that player being 400 effective. SB tank calls. Both players give indication they don’t have a pair. Board runs out J6754 rainbow. LowJack has jack-3 of spades for a straight. I muck without showing.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
jack-3 of spades
Calling a 4-bet with J3o is completely maniac fishy. 🤣

I'd have guessed you were against some QQ+ but I also play AK aggressively. It's a great hand post flop.

Danaire72

Danaire72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Those cards can lead to ruin. You have to know how to play that type of cards, I always try to see the flop, if it favors me I keep betting, if I don't fold, many times I have folded in an all-in bet, among several players, and I have decided not to call, and thanks to I have not lost that decision and I have managed to collect many times, fledging with AsK. But I say it's up to each person.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well the question is if it was correct to push all in against the SBs reraise or not

it is hard to say . because AKo will often be beaten or maybe in a coinflip against a strong SB raise

of course it is always easier to say what one would have done after the hand is over but me personally i would probably have preferred to muck the hand preflop after the big raise of the SB . especially since there are other players left to action

C

codybennett14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well the question is if it was correct to push all in against the SBs reraise or not

it is hard to say . because AKo will often be beaten or maybe in a coinflip against a strong SB raise

of course it is always easier to say what one would have done after the hand is over but me personally i would probably have preferred to muck the hand preflop after the big raise of the SB . especially since there are other players left to action
SB had AQ suited. Seeing the cards we take that all day.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems you judged these players well, given the action. I think you played it solid, of course better would be some pocket pair for this, though I would play in similar manner.
With 1/2 you would need to spend around $37 waiting for pocket aces or kings. With such callers I would consider going in this direction.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It seems fine to shove v the 3bet given stack sizes, but why open 10x in the first place? I know it's more normal in live poker but just seems odd to me. On the other hand if people will call with J3s it's not too bad!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, its an overplay to get AK all-in preflop for 80BB effective, and especially not against opponents, who stack off this wide. By opening so large you have almost decided already to play for stacks.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a table with aggressive tendencies I don't see anything wrong with call/jam after opening with a strong range. If it's a table, where players play very few hands per hour, it's probably best to just give up preflop (from your description the latter seems unlikely). However, when it comes to a player, who has never seen a move as strange as the one you describes, could be better to observe how he acts in similar situations. Which is the same as saying that you will most likely be faced with stronger range than yours, at least preflop, when you don't have enough information.
Greetings.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I dont think, its an overplay to get AK all-in preflop for 80BB effective, and especially not against opponents, who stack off this wide. By opening so large you have almost decided already to play for stacks.
live cash game 1/2 it's pretty common for open raises = 7bb+

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
SB had AQ suited. Seeing the cards we take that all day.
reading your response here, I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your initial post. To me this seems more like a badbeat post.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Based on that, it is difficult to reach a final table, and the big problem is that the room favors these crazy people.:ROFLMAO:

A player opens a thread and posts a HH question. You respond one-upping what happened to you in a CC freeroll, then post again, turning the thread into a 'rigged' post. sigh... :(

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

a) there's a ton of dead money in the middle
b) 'if' we're flipping, we'd be wanting to take this flip all day long.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People for some reason often forget, that Poker is only a card Game: this means is a Game with big dispersion and not full information...
Therefore in her is possibly ALL!.. That's all!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
today is fish day who is happy and thinks he's the winner and plays the pot right against AK and wins and he'll think he did it right cool poker love him:)

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game is 1-2 with 9 players I’m 160 effective stack size. Previous hand I correctly folded AK diamonds under the gun +1 with top pare drawing dead on turn against a set of 7’s. Now I’m UTG with ace of spades king of hearts. I open to 20 large raise but I’m out of position and don’t want a bunch of calls. UTG +1 calls Lowjack calls. SB makes it 115. Back to me and I think there’s 60 in the middle of dead money and opt to jam the rest of my 160 stack.

So at that point the rest of this post is irrevelant as your decision making is complete at that point. So looking at it a bit differently:

UTG (HERO - AKo) - Raise to 20
UTG+1 - Calls 20
UTG+2 - Folds
MP(LJ) - Calls 20
MP(HJ) - Folds
CO - Folds
BTN - Folds
SB - Raises to 115
BB - Folds
UTG (HERO) - Raises to 160 and is all in

One can debate the size of your UTG raise but it's a 1/2 cash game and that is really dependent on the table. When it comes back to you there's 177 in the middle and you have 140 behind you. Clearly calling makes no sense as your SPR is less than 1 (leaving 45 behind at this point I'm not sure why you would ever just call) so it's shove or fold.

You're getting better than 2 to 1 to call so the question in my mind comes down to...if you call will you be heads-up? If you get heads up this is a call every time. You're flipping QQ and worse; dominating AQ and worst, and in bad against KK and AA.

But...is your equity better than 33% if the LJ comes along? If they call you're getting 3 to 1 but your AK may not be 33% against multiple hands. Again, because it's a cash game I'm more inclined to call as I can just rebuy if you lose. Really getting your money is good is the key and I really don't think you overplayed your hand personally.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... jack-3 of spades for a straight...
That J,3 game is a freeroll level for me, although I wasn't there in the games before it, so this J,3 play by your opponent may have been justified, but it is a manic game.
I feel for you.