Did I make the right decision?

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was playing some NL Holdem earlier today and had built a stack up to around 6 dollars in micro limits, bought in for a dollar. Anyway I was dealt Ah,Qh, and limped in for 2 cents. Two other people call, board comes As,Ad,Qc, I check to see if anyone will bet, 1 guy folds, the other bets 6 and I go all in for 6 because I think he's bluffing. So pot is at about 12 dollars, turn comes with Ks, program does a dramatic pause and the River comes 2s and turns out he had Ac,Kd and took the pot.

Edit: Was a cash ring game by the way. The other guy who made the bet had been bluffing at a few pots before I got this hand since most people were playing pretty passively.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were always gonna lose on this pot. Just bad luck.

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep in mind that we always want to get our money in the pot when we have the best hand. You did this.

alexanderwoo1

alexanderwoo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could have lost more, and also you got unlucky in the hand.

iamXnl

iamXnl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you bet he'd reraise an you had to go all in aswell.
He had trips on the flop with AK. pretty solid hand.
since you went All in on the flop, there isn't more you could do to sit and wait.

Just unlucky the turn brought a K...

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your bankroll? If your buying in and only playing micro-limits there might be a reason to play this slower. If you've turned in the original buy-in of 1 dollar into 6 dollars that's a good profit. (Proportionally)

Let's say you bouight into a higher limt game starting at 100.00 and built it to 600.00, would you have gone all-in, calling this guys raise?

You played the hand wrong by limping, your opponent don't have a range of premium hands to put you on so he thinks his A/high kicker Q/Q is golden. Since you've limped pre-flop and slowplayed checked the flop, your passiveness is what put you in jeopardy.

It's okay to slowplay once in a while, but In my experiance slowplaying KILLS. Playing passive is losing poker.

If I were playing this hand under the 100/600 scenario I would seriously consider folding due to my bad play, (assuming I knew I was playing badly), or call and lose it the same as you did in the 1/6 micro.

If you had raised pre-flop your opponent could put you on A/A or Q/Q, A/Q, a post flop bet of pot size may have him folding, if he calls and the K fallson the turn, you again bet a pot sized bet and he comes over the top of you then you can consider HIS range of hands, he called ther pre-flop, he called the post flop and goes over the top once the K hits. He has K/K or A/K, if he has A/K he knows you don't have A/A ... he's got A/K,A/Q or he's bluffing. I might fold this especially for 400 to 500 of my remaining stack.

But you playing MICRO ,,, it's a common attitude in micro, it's only 6 bucks .. ehh call! In a higher limit it's not that common, it's frikken 600 bucks! OMG .. uh, uh , uh fold!

If you were pushing pre-flop and post flop and got your chips in before the K hit the board, it would be a donk bad beat if this guy called. But by examining your play "proportionally", slowplaying/passive play kills!

Take this post as positve criticisim please, these are just my thoughts on the play you gave in the scenario, I don't know you and have no reason to attack you or anyone personally. It's just an honest perspective, my comments often help me define and think through my game as well. I may of very well done the same as you in the micro but this is food for thought none the less.

Good Luck!

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was playing some NL Holdem earlier today and had built a stack up to around 6 dollars in micro limits, bought in for a dollar. Anyway I was dealt Ah,Qh, and limped in for 2 cents. Two other people call, board comes As,Ad,Qc, I check to see if anyone will bet, 1 guy folds, the other bets 6 and I go all in for 6 because I think he's bluffing. So pot is at about 12 dollars, turn comes with Ks, program does a dramatic pause and the River comes 2s and turns out he had Ac,Kd and took the pot.

lol. You go all-in because you thought he was bluffing huh? Not because you had the nut full house?
Your decision was fine. I might have been tempted to let him catch up a bit before I jumped in, (just in case he was bluffing). The turn card was a tough break.

LuckyShark777

LuckyShark777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had the nuts and got unlucky, doesent matter how much was bet or how much wasnt bet u could have gone all in pre flop and the outcome would have been the same