I folded AQ preflop

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Edited: AQo

I don't think it was the right thing to do.

.10/.25NL ring game

CO is pretty tight, first to bet and he minraises

BTN is fairly loose and he raises to 10xBB

I'm in the BB and I very reluctantly fold.

I know it doesn't matter as I have already made my mistake, but the flop comes KKA and if my poker odds calculator is right, I would have been a huge dog to any K.

This is on a day when I was trying to continue my efforts to tighten up, but I wonder if this is too tight.

Thoughts?

(Oh, and btw this was during a session that I was dealt A's THREE times in the first hour. No, I didn't fold those).

Last edited:
Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To call a 10bb reraise in the big blind (and therefore out of position) would be horrible. Whatever came on the flop is irrelevant.

I routinely fold AQo to any raise from a player with less than maniac tendancies.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done the same, from late position I raised AQ, but the player on the button whom I knew to be loose calling but very tight with his raising range re-raised me. I couldn't explain his 3bet with anything less than AA or possibly KK and so I folded.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty standard fold. AQ + 3-bet pot + OOP = disaster

I Am Willis

I Am Willis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ/AK/AJ none of these are monster hands.

I dislike players tendincies to rate AK AQ as a massive hand, ur still 60/40 to 2 live cards yes u have an edge but keep to the math....

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please look up the Gap Concept, it takes a much stronger hand to call a raise than to make a raise. AQo shrinks heavily OOP against a 3-bet.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too hard to play OOP to a raise like that.. even if you hit the ace you could still be in a world of trouble.

l Love Beer

l Love Beer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Edited:

I know it doesn't matter as I have already made my mistake, but the flop comes KKA and if my poker odds calculator is right, I would have been a huge dog to any K.

Easy fold... and do you really need an odds calculator to tell you that?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ/AK/AJ none of these are monster hands.

I dislike players tendincies to rate AK AQ as a massive hand, ur still 60/40 to 2 live cards yes u have an edge but keep to the math....

But the point with AK is we get fold equity against all 2 live card hands with a bet and no one other than AA/KK who calls/raises us has us beat by more than 55/45.

Anyway, in the OP though yes that was a good fold. It was said before, but you don't want to be calling AQ to a 3-bet hardly ever, I would probably fold AK there actually, although depending on opponents a 4-bet may be appropriate with AK. Either way though, good fold with AQ, you don't want to commit that much money to a pot where you'll need to hit AQx or QQx to feel good about your hand and not being able to outplay your opponents since you're oop.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very standard..you shouldn't be second-guessing your play when you see the flop anyway.

Folding in Poker