Who played the hand worse?

• Total voters
hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FD, he made one bad play, calling the flop. However, you only bet half the pot there, and at this level, people with decent PP has a strange willingness to call those type of bets with those type of hands. And your 4xBB raise preflop could have been made with a PP less than a JJ, so he may have been calling putting you on nothing. Yes, it was probably still a mistake on his part, and that was one mistake on his part. You could even say he played a bit badly preflop as well.

However, I can't still possibly how you're saying that you played better than him--or to use the lesser of two evils, I don't see how you can possibly say you played less worse than him. You bet out into 1 person here, with 2 people who did check to you, but could easily be checking monsters to you (you seem to think that checks always signify weakness, but they don't). Also, afterwards, you have to realize on the turn there, you know he's calling or raising a bet of $2 there when the pot itself is already $3.60 before your action. You made a mistake in making yourself pot committed before, so that both of you were basically pot committed. You played horribly on the turn there, even if you were trying to represent AK or AQ or something along those lines, its not the right play here.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Four dogs, you shouldnt get all defensive about the hand. Weve all done bad things and posted them here for reviewing and help. Just slow down and try 2 see if theres some good advice here that you could take.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I said you bet into a 4 way pot. Which is what you did. 4 Players on flop(including you) =bet into a 4 way pot.

Dude Wtf, its obv 100% clear you played it worse. Why did you even post this? I posted one as a joke where i lucksacked out on playing a hand horrible. But this OBV isnt a joke and you dont want to hear anything that isnt for you. This is a physcological(sp?) thing where you want to know you played it better than villian and thus deserved to win. This is stupid because this is a $10 pot and i could see how if you were Jamie Gold at the wsop ME that you would want to lnow you werent a fluke and deserved to win.....wtf is all i have to say.

About your comment,
When i read that i thought of 2 teengagers going 'dude go punch that kid' 'no dude i dont want, you go do it' 'i dared you first.' You gave everyone a horrible story where you were banned for no reason, wouldnt show e-mails wouldnt show anything. Your now avoiding my question and attacking me cause im not stroking you. Congrats on breaking TOS and having a mulriple account. Care to tell us why your first one was really banned now?

Edit: ok, i went and read Hh again. Your right, you bet into 3 oppen. and were only out of pos. by one. Congrats, i bow to you. After noticing that, you know played the hand perfect! not a flaw in it!

Last edited:
Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't see how you could possibly have played it better than your opponent when you find yourself all-in with Queen-high versus a set, and a very narrow redraw.

Your opponent played it pretty damn well, making an excellent call on the flop (probably read-dependent play on his behalf) and letting you hang yourself on the turn.

BTW it's not true that you're pot-committed on the turn. You don't have odds but you make a terrible call.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm extremely hesitant to say opponent "played it pretty damn well". I doubt his flop call was read-dependent. I think his flop call was "zomg i have TWO JAX, I CALL". And he's out of position so not re-raising preflop is pretty lame too.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me play devils advocate here and try to represent Villians mindset.

Holecards:
Dealt to DeaDinaDitch [
heart8.gif
heartQ.gif
]
CALL sapman3883, $0.10
RAISE DeaDinaDitch , $0.30 to $0.40
CALL Bade81, $0.40
CALL dwtrvlr, $0.35
CALL sapman3883, $0.30

Flop: (Pot: $1.8)
[
club5.gif
spadeK.gif
diamA.gif
]
CHECK dwtrvlr:
CHECK sapman3883:
BET DeaDinaDitch , $0.90
CALL dwtrvlr, $0.90 That bet didn't represent much, lets check it out

Turn: (Pot: $3.6)
[
club5.gif
spadeK.gif
diamA.gif
] [
diamJ.gif
]
CHECK dwtrvlr: Got that SOB!
BET DeaDinaDitch , $2
RAISE dwtrvlr, $2 to $4
CALL DeaDinaDitch , $1.40 and is all-in

River: (Pot: $11)
[
club5.gif
spadeK.gif
diamA.gif
diamJ.gif
] [
club10.gif
]

Showdown:
dwtrvlr: shows [
clubJ.gif
spadeJ.gif
] (three of a kind Jacks)

Damn donkey !!!!!

DeaDinaDitch : shows [
heart8.gif
heartQ.gif
] (a straight Ten to Ace)
DeaDinaDitch collected $9 .90 from pot

IMO he had this coming. I can't imagine a worse way to play pocket jacks. Yes I realize that Q8s isn't a power house, but I raised a limped pot hoping to steal if possible or represent top pair if I missed the flop and the table checked around to me which is exactly what happend. By the time he showed any strength at all I was completly pot committed. He really should have raised PF and either led out on the flop or better yet, folded OP to 2 overcards in the face of a preflop raiser. I did however get the obligatory "Lucky River" comment.

BTW, I'm Deadinaditch.

BTW2 I'm still there if anyone cares to join me.

I'm with Dorkus here. Perhaps this would be a star in a SUck Out thread. Reasoning here is just a denial that you made a bad decision and got paid of for it.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm extremely hesitant to say opponent "played it pretty damn well". I doubt his flop call was read-dependent. I think his flop call was "zomg i have TWO JAX, I CALL". And he's out of position so not re-raising preflop is pretty lame too.
OK, he's either really bad or really really good. I don't think it's possible to tell from one hand. But objectively it's a "good" call from the point of view that he didn't fold when he was ahead. He could just have been on a Scandinavian-style OOP float, who knows... :)

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not looking good for me folks. 2:1 against. So far I like Estelles and Misch's replies the best. Estelles 'cause she actually read the hand and put some thought into her reply, and Mischmans for it's shear, unintended humor. I've re-read it 3 times and it still sounds like caveman grunts.

For those of you who think I'm being overly defensive I apologize, and I welcome any constructive critique. I do get a little steamed though when someone replies without reading the hand correctly. The number of opponents, bet sizes and position might seem like little things to some of you, but they were all part of my decision making.

One more thing. I'm not looking for anyone to say that I played the hand perfectly, I didn't. But I do feel like some of the criticism is disproportionate with whatever mistake I made. A bluff is a bluff. We all attempt them from time to time, (or we should) and they never look good or clever when they fail, but how many of you really think you would be more likely to have played the hand like my opponent than as I did? Think about it before you vote. I'll only bitch and moan about it if you get the facts wrong.

See you at the tables.

-FD (DeaDinaDitch)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bluff is a bluff. We all attempt them from time to time...
Yes, but effective bluffing has some kind of rationale behind it. In your example I know exactly what happened - you raised preflop, thought "To hell with it I'm bluffing whatever happens in this hand", and thus ended up bluffing despite the fact that the situation had become (with 3 callers and an AKXr flop) very highly unfavourable.

The number of opponents, bet sizes and position might seem like little things to some of you, but they were all part of my decision making.
I think if you'd actually analyzed the situation pertaining to the above you wouldn't have made the play you did. Again, you had your mind made up at the very start of the hand, for some reason are continuing to defend it now and effective poker quite simply doesn't work like that.

Incidentally, I bet you wouldn't feel nearly as happy with your play had a blank hit the river, too. ;)

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the back handed compliment, your so nice, jackass.

Obv mine sounded like cave man grunts to you because it was all right and wasnt donk talk, which is the only thing you understand.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the back handed compliment, your so nice, jackass.

Obv mine sounded like cave man grunts to you because it was all right and wasnt donk talk, which is the only thing you understand.
Nice to have you back Misch.;)

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
328 views, 38 replies and only 18 people have an opinion on this? No wonder the president of the United States is chosen by less than 20% of the population. Just click on one.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
328 views, 38 replies and only 18 people have an opinion on this? No wonder the president of the United States is chosen by less than 20% of the population. Just click on Four Dogs.

sorry >_>

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars Game #9449785135: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2007/04/16 - 08:53:06 (ET)
Table 'Huenna' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: DeaDinaDitch ($4.70 in chips) FD mistake #1: buyin for full amount
Seat 2: fimm57 ($6 in chips)
Seat 3: Bade81 ($3.75 in chips)
Seat 4: dwtrvlr ($9.65 in chips)
Seat 5: edwin1511 ($14.20 in chips)
Seat 6: sapman3883 ($32.35 in chips)
dwtrvlr: posts small blind $0.05
edwin1511: posts big blind $0.10
fimm57: posts big blind $0.10

Holecards:
Dealt to DeaDinaDitch [
heart8.gif
heartQ.gif
]
CALL sapman3883, $0.10
RAISE DeaDinaDitch , $0.30 to $0.40FD mistake #2 for obvious reasons, but not terrible if you think you can outplay postflop. Though with stack size and # of players sitting behind you, I really don't like it.
FOLD fimm57
CALL Bade81, $0.40
CALL dwtrvlr, $0.35 villain mistake #1: reraise PF
FOLD edwin1511
CALL sapman3883, $0.30

Flop: (Pot: $1.8)
[
club5.gif
spadeK.gif
diamA.gif
]
CHECK dwtrvlr:
CHECK sapman3883:
BET DeaDinaDitch , $0.90 FD mistake #3: If PF wasn't terrible, this is. Too many opponents to c-bet, too likely of a board to have hit them. Your hand also has next to no draws.
FOLD Bade81
CALL dwtrvlr, $0.90 Villain mistake #2: Terrible for obvious reasons.
FOLD sapman3883

Turn: (Pot: $3.6)
[
club5.gif
spadeK.gif
diamA.gif
] [
diamJ.gif
]
CHECK dwtrvlr:
BET DeaDinaDitch , $2 Mistake #4: I check for the free card here. If we bet, I think wwe should push as we can maybe get JT/QJ to fold.
RAISE dwtrvlr, $2 to $4
CALL DeaDinaDitch , $1.40 and is all-in Committed, but with crap :/

River: (Pot: $11)
[
club5.gif
spadeK.gif
diamA.gif
diamJ.gif
] [
club10.gif
]

Showdown:
dwtrvlr: shows [
clubJ.gif
spadeJ.gif
] (three of a kind Jacks)
DeaDinaDitch : shows [
heart8.gif
heartQ.gif
] (a straight Ten to Ace)
DeaDinaDitch collected $9 .90 from pot

I love ya FD, but IMO (and clearly others') this was played badly left right and centre. I really don't think we can justify this oddity of a hand.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are we really committed after the turn? Don't feel like doing the math, but are we getting odds to call when we virtually know for a fact we're 9% to maybe win the hand (we only split if he has a Q of his own). It's probably a fold when he puts us in, tbh, which shows how gross our turn bet is.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was close, and probably barely unjustified. Of course I knew I was beat but I did feel like I had to make that last call for $1.40. If it was a mistake, it was only a small EV one and I wanted to see his cards. I think determining that he would make a call like that with only 2 outs in the face of 2 overcards was worth the 7:1 odds the pot was laying me.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Four dogs, i understand you decided to bluff the hand. I sometimes pick a random hand and play it like that and yes it goes horribly wrong at a lot of times.

But that doesnt mean you shouldnt stop to reevaluate at any step of the way.

OK preflop + flop bets, i can understand, despite those not being the ideal circumstances for either.

But once you get a caller on flop, what dyou put him on that you think will fold that turn?

I mean if he has an ace, then you know hes not going anywhere. If he has a K, then he most likely not picked a gutshot with KQ or KT on turn if not 2 pairs. So if he didnt fold flop hes not folding now with you being shortstacked.

You should have let it go after flop bet. You made a big bet that totally committed you against an opponent who wasnt going anywhere. And btw he doesnt have 2 raise you 2 show strength.

If i had up to AK here idnt reraise your flop, for example. getting called on a flop of AK while u have q high shouldve been strength enough for you 2 stop and let it go.

If he had

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the comments alan. Nice post. You're right, but the one hand I wouldn't have put him on is a 2 outer. Still, some people here think that my 1/2 pot turn bet is more donkish than his preflop and flop play. I find that a bit insincere.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personnally like i said i dont mind his preflop play but thats just me. Others said it was bad too.

What i do find wrong is his flop call. But the thing is, he made the 0.90$ mistake of calling imo, since i dont think he didnt put u on ace, i think he couldnt let go of his jacks. But you made a 4$ mistake all on ur own by committing yourself to the pot.

thats why i voted for you in the poll personnally. It just seemed like you couldve most likely cost yourself 2 much on a hand not worth it.

Its often hands like these that ruin my stack when id spend an hour winning tons of small hands, then this one hand comes by where u never stop 2 think and after it u wonder why on earth u got into it lol

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the comments alan. Nice post. You're right, but the one hand I wouldn't have put him on is a 2 outer. Still, some people here think that my 1/2 pot turn bet is more donkish than his preflop and flop play. I find that a bit insincere.

Insincere?? Do you understand what that word means?? How can you find any of us stating our opinions in a thread where you ask for our opinions, to be insincere, dishonest, not genuine in any possible way?? Yes, I belive that your play on the flop and on the turn were definitely more "donkish" to use your word than the villains play. I'm not being insincere in any possibly way when I'm telling you that you played worse in this hand, I've already posted on why I find it this way.

No, I'm not being insincere when I'm posting my opinion. I'm telling my own, true opinion.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think i;ve ever been accused of being disingenuous on here before. haha.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"insincere" just has to be bad word selection, right? :eek:

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the comments alan. Nice post. You're right, but the one hand I wouldn't have put him on is a 2 outer.
It wasn't a 2-outer - he was ahead the whole way!

Why assume that someone has to have top pair or better to win a hand? I've made calls for my stack many a time with Ace-high when I've thought my opponent is on air, as your opponent did here.

And you're the one being insincere by making out you thought you were ahead in the hand. And if he'd turned out to have AJ or something similar, I don't see how that would make your play any better or worse.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wasn't a 2-outer - he was ahead the whole way!

Why assume that someone has to have top pair or better to win a hand? I've made calls for my stack many a time with Ace-high when I've thought my opponent is on air, as your opponent did here.

And you're the one being insincere by making out you thought you were ahead in the hand. And if he'd turned out to have AJ or something similar, I don't see how that would make your play any better or worse.

BJ, I don't think anything we say right now is going to get him to change his opinion. Just has an idea stuck in his head, it's not going to change.