How would u guys have played this hand???

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here we go!!!

Anything wrong with the way I played this? OK, after the event it is easy to say yes, but do you think I should have pushed earlier?

PokerStars Game #8452632426: Hold'em Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2007/02/15 - 11:34:27 (ET) Table 'Nephele' 10-max Seat #4 is the button Seat 1: ronaldadio ($49.60 in chips) Seat 2: mhoweller ($24.40 in chips) Seat 3: Fefaifb ($19.25 in chips) Seat 4: tripperd ($2.85 in chips) Seat 5: TempeGambler ($20.65 in chips) Seat 6: niff30 ($21 in chips) Seat 7: DavidLion ($15.30 in chips) Seat 8: ululu ($26.50 in chips) Seat 9: SkatmanVI ($15.95 in chips) Seat 10: Brodart ($8.50 in chips)
TempeGambler: posts small blind $0.25
niff30: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ronaldadio [Ad Kd]
DavidLion: folds
ululu: folds
SkatmanVI: folds
Brodart: folds
ronaldadio: raises $0.50 to $1
mhoweller: folds
Fefaifb: folds
tripperd: folds
TempeGambler: folds
niff30: calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [Ks 3h Jh]
niff30: checks
ronaldadio: checks
*** TURN *** [Ks 3h Jh] [8s]
niff30: checks
ronaldadio: checks
*** RIVER *** [Ks 3h Jh 8s] [9s]
niff30: bets $1
ronaldadio: raises $1 to $2
niff30: calls $1
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ronaldadio: shows [Ad Kd] (a pair of Kings)
niff30: shows [8c 9h] (two pair, Nines and Eights) niff30 collected $5.95 from pot ronaldadio said, "nh"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $6.25 | Rake $0.30
Board [Ks 3h Jh 8s 9s]
Seat 1: ronaldadio showed [Ad Kd] and lost with a pair of Kings Seat 2: mhoweller folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 3: Fefaifb folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 4: tripperd (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: TempeGambler (small blind) folded before Flop Seat 6: niff30 (big blind) showed [8c 9h] and won ($5.95) with two pair, Nines and Eights Seat 7: DavidLion folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 8: ululu folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 9: SkatmanVI folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 10: Brodart folded before Flop (didn't

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
err why in gods name did you let him hit his 2 pr should hve bet flop turn and river

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id have bet flop. Or at the very least turn, if you were waiting for bets to grow.

Its not like you had a monster and slowplaying it! Why didnt you bet! What were you waiting for? to raise him?

There were 2 flush draws!

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BET!!! This isn't NL where if you don't bet the flop you can make up for it on later streets. You need to bet each street for value. Also, you can not allow free cards for someone to outdraw you when you have hit your hand.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow this is terrible. please bet the flop

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow this is terrible. please bet the flop

I take all of your points. I`m new to fixed.

I thought with top pair/ top kicker slow playing may have induced a bet.

Having looked at the hand I don`t think the check on the flop was a bad one - if I`d raised he would have folded.

The check on the river was bad IMO because I gave him a needless free card. However, if I had bet the turn I think he would have called - he had hit a pair.

As it turned out, two hands later I was in the SB with K10o. The button called and the SB checked. The flop came down K94 rainbow. I bet, the SB called, the button folded. Flop 7. I bet, SB called. River Q. I bet, SB reraised. I called. He showed K7 - 2 pair beats my Pair K`s. So I did bet out but the other guy caught on the turn.

U guys are not suggesting that if you hit a flop in limit with top pair you will always bet? Or should I?

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can not slow play TPTK. Again, this is not NL where you can make up for missed bets on later streets. Get money in while you are ahead. If you are just starting to play Limit, I HIGHLY suggest picking up Small Stes Hold 'em. This book will really get you thinking on the right lines.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop is REALLY draw heavy; lead it and the turn.
Maybe if the flop was K62 rainbow then you could check it and lead the turn, but bet out at the flop. Too many ways someone could catch up to you and you'd be stuck with TPTK.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having looked at the hand I don`t think the check on the flop was a bad one - if I`d raised he would have folded.

You don't know he's got 89 during the hand. For all you know he could have JT, QT, AQ, heart draw etc etc and you've just given him a free card - a cardinal sin in poker :)

The check on the river was bad IMO because I gave him a needless free card. However, if I had bet the turn I think he would have called - he had hit a pair.

That's great! You get a bet out of him when he's got he second best hand. Just because he 'would have' hit 2 pair on the river doesn't make betting a bad play. That of course would be results oriented.

As it turned out, two hands later I was in the SB with K10o. The button called and the SB checked. The flop came down K94 rainbow. I bet, the SB called, the button folded. Flop 7. I bet, SB called. River Q. I bet, SB reraised. I called. He showed K7 - 2 pair beats my Pair K`s. So I did bet out but the other guy caught on the turn.

Again being results-oriented. So betting TP is bad because they'll suck out on you?

U guys are not suggesting that if you hit a flop in limit with top pair you will always bet? Or should I?

I'm not a FLHE player, but know that there are times for giving your opponent a free card if you're sure you're ahead, and the board isn't draw-heavy. Like in my previous post, if the flop is K62 rainbow and you're holding TPTK then maybe a check isn't such a bad play to let him hopefully hit a smaller pair and call a turn bet by you, but with a flop like KJx and a flush draw on board, you need to bet to protect your hand.

See bold.

C

camelio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
by not betting the flop and the turn you gave away a pot you should have won. he can't call a bet on the flop with 9 high (unless he's a total donkey) so you would have won a small pot on the flop more than likely with a bet there. top pair top kicker is a strong hand but is by no means invincible. especially a busy flop like that with a lot of cards that can make a str8 or flush on the turn. also, on the off chance your opponent has a hand like KQ or K10, you might win a big pot with him thinking his top pair good kicker was best. bottom line... bet the flop! you can't count on your opponent betting your hand for you.

good luck!

-c

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone else said, bet, bet bet. Lots of draws will call you anyway but you have to make them pay to draw out. Also hands like bottom pair and 2 overs to the board will also call which is another reason to bet, make them pay to chase. Unless you have an absolute lock that can't be run down and you opponent is an aggresive player that will try to steal the pot or somone that over values hands, you must bet when you are ahead.

Also if you bet while having a strong hand and show it down it will help you later if you try to bluff the pot like if you have ace-king and miss the flop.

Please, bet, bet, bet when you are ahead.

T

texaspokeher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
should have bet the flop dude, no reason to let him stay in for free. It was a good hand but not real strong.

I

infestus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
umm yes just bet preflop,flop turn,then check river if scared.Shoulda really bet here

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just in case it needs reiterating ;)

pf fine

bet flop

bet turn

call river

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands