N

Neek4555

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So it is a 1/2 NL hold em game.
There are 2 5$ straddle rocks.
So the blinds are very often like a. 1/2/5 game although the stacks may not coincide with 2/5 stacks.

So blinds are 1/2/5. This hand im.on button.

Utg plus 1 limps calls 5 and the hi jack limps calls 5. I'm on button. I see Ace Queen. I make it 21 total.

Small blind folds
Big blind folds
5$ straddle folds

HI jack calls 16$ more.

Flop comes Ace 3 7 rainbow

I bet 30$ . He calls

Turn 9 rainbow

I bet 80.

He goes all in for 145 total .

He's a. Tight player.

I realize that my ace queen is almost never good here. I called 65 more. He had set of threes ..I mucked on turn.

BAD CALL FOR 65. DOLLARS.
I ADMIT THAT.

ACE QUEEN ONE PAIR 2ND KICKER
IS NEVER GOOD HERE.
RAINBOW. NO STRONG STRAIGHT DRAWS. Etc

THE ONE HAND I'M BEATING IS ACE JACK

DOES HE CALL 16$ MORE PREFL.OP W Ace JACK. I doubt it.

I REALIZE I SHOULDN'T OF CALLED 65 MORE WHEN. HE WENT ALL IN

But

MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH HOW I PLAYED PREFLOP? ON FLOP? BETTING 80 ON TURN IN POSITION AFTER HE CHECKED? SHOULD I HAVE SLOWED DOWN ON TURN BECAUSE WHATS HE CALLING 30$ ON FLOP WITH?

ANY AND ALL OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED. BOTHERING ME.

Last edited:
N

Neek4555

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the blinds are very often like a. 1/2/5 game although the stacks may not coincide with 2/5 stacks.

Utg plus 1 limps calls 5 and the hi jack limps calls 5. I'm on button. I see Ace Queen. I make it 21 total.

Small blind folds
Big blind folds
5$ straddle folds

HI jack calls 16$ more.

I bet 30$ . He calls

Turn 9 rainbow

I bet 80.

He's a. Tight player.

I realize that my ace queen is almost never good here. I called 65 more. He had set of threes ..I mucked on turn.

I ADMIT THAT.

IS NEVER GOOD HERE.

But

MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH HOW I PLAYED PREFLOP? ON FLOP? BETTING 80 ON TURN IN POSITION AFTER HE CHECKED? SHOULD I HAVE SLOWED DOWN ON TURN BECAUSE WHATS HE CALLING 30$ ON FLOP WITH?

PART OF ME FEELS LIKE OH HE SLOW PLAYED A. SET U HIT TOP PAIR AND 2ND KICKER.
TOUGH HAND

PART OF ME FEELS LIKE COULD OF GOTTEN AWAY FROM IT.

NEW ON CARDSCHAT. WOULD LOVE SOME ANALYSIS FROM THE COMMUNITY. TY IN ADVANCE.

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seems like your caps lock key is broken.

N

Neek4555

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sincerely apologize for that. I hope that doesn't deter. People from giving me their opinion . I really would love some opinions from the cardschat.community. cheers

Last edited:
T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could size your isolation bet bigger preflop, maybe $30 or more, depending on your opponents. You want to size it big enough to get only one caller most of the time.
Flop is good.
Turn you should check back since a nit isn't paying you off with any worse hands, except AJ. But if you have a read that he shouldn't have AJ, then check back and see the river, and see how he reacts.

G

GonzalesFg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like the the last player said , only Real option is isolate. Preflop, get him off 33. But you gotta remember the guy flopped a set. At this time you gotta use your experience on the table to determine wether he go all in with only a pair.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He was a Tight player,,,,,you said it.Trust your reads,bro:)

P

pietpikel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Small blind folds
Big blind folds
5$ straddle folds

HI jack calls 16$ more.

I bet 30$ . He calls

Turn 9 rainbow

I bet 80.

He's a. Tight player.

I ADMIT THAT.

IS NEVER GOOD HERE.

But

Look, I am no expert but a couple of things..

Some players will not fold a pair even to a raise preflop. In this case he is calling an extra $16 to possibly win $180, so he is getting 11 to 1 implied odds if he hits his set. Is there any figure (in your head) that would have got him to fold preflop ?

When you make it $21, the pot is already $32 (or $37?), so he is getting 2-1 pot odds to make his call. If he puts you on AK or AQ he is getting reasonable odds. I don't think there is much you can do, he is probably going to call preflop.

But when you bet $30 on the flop and he calls, alarm bells should be going off. You should be asking yourself "WTF has he got ?" . He would reraise you with AK, and it is probably unlikely that he called preflop with A10, so as you say, you are only really beating AJ. A3 and A7 are unlikely, but he may have called preflop with either of those suited . However , in my opinion a decent player would not flat call your flop bet with A3 or A7 because they are vulnerable 2 pair hands. He would reraise you there... So when he calls that $30 bet you know you are trouble, you just have to recognize it ! (hindsight makes it easy). If you go through the possibilities (on this limited drawing board), you will range his hand pretty close to a monster !

So the turn comes a spanner 9, and he checks. I would have checked behind then, with the intention of folding the river to a bet. Your pot control went haywire after that turn blank 9 rainbow.

Last edited:
Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read page 55 of Harrington on cash Games vol 1, he takes you through this exact scenario of overplaying top pair.
But basically against a competent opponent your hand is only good for one maybe two streets of value and one of those streets would normally be the river. You either have to check the flop or check the turn to avoid bloating the pot with a one pair hand. Your turn bet was the mistake here as played, you got too much invested and then felt duty bound to call because of the pot odds.

ShinGraze

ShinGraze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Check the turn for sure. What are you possibly beating? I think even AJ is a stretch for a nit in this situation.

1 pair --> pot control. Check the turn aiming to just call the river.

Small hand, small pot.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you bet 80 though? I am confused... You know he'd only call with 2pair or higher based on your labelling, right?

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sometimes I feel pot control is a concept high stakes players created so they can fry the bad players faster.
-Cole South​

I had to fill in some gaps, but this should be pretty close.
$1/$2/$5 NLHE

Hero has AQo

SB posts $1, BB posts $2, UTG posts $5, UTG+1 calls $5, 3 folds, HJ calls $5, fold, Hero raises to $21, 3 folds, {UTG+1 folds?}, HJ calls $16

Flop: {Pot: $55} Flop A-3-7r
Effective stack sizes $175 for an SPR of 3.2

Yes, top pair hands are generally 2 bet hands at most. Several people pointed that out, but everyone seems to miss the fact that the SPR is <4 on the flop, which means that going all-in is less than two bets. There are only two streets of value of be had. This isn't a spot where the pot is $9 and you have $197 behind. Those are the hands where you want to be careful about committing too easily with only top pair.

The time to make commitment decisions was pre-flop or on the flop at the latest. You put 10% of the stacks in before the flop, and a proper bet on the flop should have made the turn a pot-sized affair. Two streets of value.

The only reason I even consider folding is the Beluga Theorem: “You should strongly re-evaluate the strength of one-pair hands in the face of a raise on the turn.” That would be something that strongly impacts my decision making here. Few players raise when they can't beat top pair / top kicker on the turn, especially tight players. You need 20% equity to call. It's hard to think of a hand that raises where we have even that much. We'd need like 10 outs, which we clearly never have here. Of course, I wouldn't have made this an issue. I would have already been all-in after my bet on the turn, so I'd just go broke here after I decided to continue on the flop.

Anyway, raise slightly bigger pre-flop, slightly more on the flop, shove turn. A player calling with 33 in this spot is making a mistake, especially against a larger raise. They won't hit often enough to have a positive return on the call. Not that it is any consolation to you.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As soon as you raised it pre-flop to 21$ he instantly puts you on AK or AQ or big pocket pair. Just saying in general.

FLOP: A, 3, 7 rainbow

You bet 30 here. If he calls your 30$ he knows you have an Ace obviously. Will he snap call with AJ or A10. Highly doubt it. A3, A7 calling a PF bet of 16 more Not happening. Rainbow board you know he don't have a flush or straight draw yet. Unless he is screwy like that.

This leaves a few other hands he can have: 33, 77, AK, AJ, or 1010 shit like that. You should have checked the turn. If he came out strong on the river it is more then likely your way behind. Especially if the player is a nit.

N

Neek4555

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RESPONSES.

THIS IS WHY I SIGNED UP HERE.

I am going to sit down now and read all the analysis. I quickly skimmed threw it and was happy I got so many responses. But now I will read thoroughly. Thank u.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The advice in this thread is so terrible. The stack to pot ratio was like 3:1. Stack off with top pair all day. Sometimes fish hit, but in the long run they lose money calling $21 bets to setmine with a $200 stack.

This is why you don't post results. Everyone tries to act smart and give you says to get out of this spot. But they're telling you the wrong thing. Well, that and the advice here has gone to cheap recently.

ShinGraze

ShinGraze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your name of c9h13no3 explains the context of why we should avoid your advice of stacking off with 1 pair with >100bb

Hope I'm on your table soon!

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think your name of c9h13no3 explains the context of why we should avoid your advice of stacking off with 1 pair with >100bb

Hope I'm on your table soon!

Except that it was less than 100xbb, even when you consider the BB to be $2 (which is inaccurate with a $5 straddle). It was $196 effective stacks, or 98xbb. With the $5 straddle, it was really closer to 39xbb stacks.

Oh, and except for the fact that stack sizes are relative to the size of the pot and not the size of the blind when considering flop stack off situations. When the pot is $50 and you have $175 left, it is the same spot as when the pot is $10 and you have $35 left. The risk/reward ratio is the same, and what size the blinds happened to be to create that pot isn't really important anymore.

In short, he's right. All the comments about giving up are pretty much wrong, especially in a live $1/$2 game with a common $5 straddle. Those games are so weak and loose, I can't see where folding TP2K is ever correct heads up on the flop with an SPR <4.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands