Hand analysis

A

aspokerfun1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I was today playing in 0.1/0.2. I was on the button and LJ raises to 45bb pre-flop. It folds to me and I have AKo. This guy had been playing very aggressively, and folded to a few of my 3-bets on previous hands. I put him on a tight range for this bet sizing, and debated just folding because my cards were not suited.

In the end, I decide to call and so does the SB. Flop comes 10,Q,K rainbow. The pre-flop aggressor shoves, and because I see straight draws and based on his bet sizing I assume he has a set, I don't put him on a straight because I can't see anybody betting 45bb with AJ. I decide to fold. SB actually calls, aggressor shoves on turn and SB calls. Turns out the pre-flop aggressor has AKs, so we would have split the pot.

Was I right to fold here? I have been having a bad downswing recently and trying to take more time to think through my calls.

Thanks

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The villain was overplaying his hand. And you were right to fold post flop. From what you said, he's an action junkie.

I think the pre-flop call was valid with the hand you had. Just because he scared you out of a pot doesn't mean you played wrongly. I think you made the right move.

Confused though about the turn... If the villian already shoved on the flop, how could he bet on the turn? Does not, 'shove' mean to push all-in?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode I: The Aggro Donkey Menace

Hi,

I was today playing in 0.1/0.2. I was on the button and LJ raises to 45bb pre-flop. It folds to me and I have AKo. This guy had been playing very aggressively, and folded to a few of my 3-bets on previous hands. I put him on a tight range for this bet sizing, and debated just folding because my cards were not suited.

In the end, I decide to call and so does the SB. Flop comes 10,Q,K rainbow. The pre-flop aggressor shoves, and because I see straight draws and based on his bet sizing I assume he has a set, I don't put him on a straight because I can't see anybody betting 45bb with AJ. I decide to fold. SB actually calls, aggressor shoves on turn and SB calls. Turns out the pre-flop aggressor has AKs, so we would have split the pot.

Was I right to fold here? I have been having a bad downswing recently and trying to take more time to think through my calls.

Thanks

Hi aspokerfun1, very welcome to the CardsChat community and thank you for sharing it. Well, we are never calling such non-sense preflop raises like this.
Here we do have only two options, since once Villain invested 50% of its stack into a preflop raise, it would never be folding to anything.
So our options are either folding preflop, which seems more reasonable to avoid huge variance spots or either jamming.
Calling here it doesn't make any sense, since we are already commited to any flop texture postflop.
You should not have folded on the flop, since you described Villain as a very aggressive type you should not be worried of this guy to be holding a set or a straight and your TPTK has plenty of showdown value+equity to hit the nut straight.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
A

aspokerfun1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Apologies for incorrectly describing the hand. He bet 45bb pre-flop, 145bb flop and shoved his last 25bb on turn (I had folded on flop, one other called him).

Thanks for your feedback. In hindsight, it was silly to call him if I wasn't going to continue with TPTK.

Thanks

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands