Flopped Trips...slow played too much?

Deathwish238

Deathwish238

Rock Star
Total posts
Should I have bet $1 on the turn? I represented trips by betting the second 7 which I didn't intend to do...

MP's first hand at this table.

***** Game number #16531826579 *****
Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2008/04/06 - 13:55:35 (ET)
Table 'Feronia II' 6-max
Seat 5 (BTN) has the button.
SB posts small blind [$0.02]
Hero posts big blind [$0.05]
MP posts big blind [$0.05]
Seat 1 : Hero with $5.03.
Seat 2 : UTG with $6.78.
Seat 3 : MP with $10.00.
Seat 4 : CO with $4.07.
Seat 5 : BTN with $10.21.
Seat 6 : SB with $9.36.
hand.pl

** Dealing hole cards **
Dealt to Hero :
ts.gif
td.gif

Sklansky group: 2
UTG: folds
MP raises $0.25 to $0.30
CO: folds
BTN: folds
SB: folds
Hero calls [$0.25]
** Dealing Flop ** [Potsize: $0.62]
:ac4:
th.gif
:5d4:
Hero: checks
MP bets [$0.45]
Hero calls [$0.45]
** Dealing Turn ** [Potsize: $1.52]
:7d4:
Hero: checks
MP: checks
** Dealing River ** [Potsize: $1.52]
:7s4:
Hero bets [$1]
MP: folds
Hero collected $1.47 from pot
Hero: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.52 | Rake $0.05
Board [Ac Th 5d 7d 7s]
Seat 3: MP folded on the River
Seat 6: SB (small blind) folded before Flop

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
shrug, he didnt have anything. you could just donk turn because check/raising looks so strong... if he doesn't have an A you can't expect to get much more anyway. you could even c/r the flop for the same reason, although i don't hate c/c-ing because it's quite dry

river bet is standard as played.. he's calling any A he checked behind on turn and often calling some big pairs that he'd check behind to showdown.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Total posts
I'd probably have led out on the flop or turn with a small bet, trying to make it look like I'm making a defensive bet with something like KQ or QJ or if on the turn something like a flush draw you want to see, he's not likely to think that 7 helped you so you might get a bluff raise out of it.

Deathwish238

Deathwish238

Rock Star
Total posts
See that's what I figured, that he'ld think that 7 didn't help me or gave me trips. Most don't think I'ld have trips so I was hoping he'ld call or shove.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Again, at these stakes DON'T SLOWPLAY, bet your hands when you get them. Bet $.60 on the flop. The check/call just screams 2P or trips and then the check on the turn just reinforces it.

G

GoodWoodRR

Enthusiast
Total posts
You should never check a flopped set. I learned this the hard way in a live tourney. I slow played JJJ and let a guy catch a straight I would min bet it and see what comes on the turn. U will usually get at least a couple of callers on the flop.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
You should never check a flopped set. I learned this the hard way in a live tourney. I slow played JJJ and let a guy catch a straight I would min bet it and see what comes on the turn. U will usually get at least a couple of callers on the flop.

no, what you should never do is say "never" in poker

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Total posts
Awards

Actually, this is a good flop to slowplay a set. There are no flush draws and at best longshot straight draw. Even with the seven on the turn you could probably slowplay. a $1 was probably a bit too much on the river but I think he would have folded on a smaller bet anyway.