Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you do on the river and why?

SB is 25/5 But I've only seen 1 SB showdown w/ AKs on Arag/rainbow flop. SB did push the action in that hand.

Stacks:
- SB with $72.80 - BB with $53.85 - UTG with $10.00 - MP1 with $100.05 - MP2 with $12.70 - CO with $33.95 - BTN with $49.25

index.pl

Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
Site: full tilt poker
* - Dealt to Hero:
8s.gif
7s.gif

Preflop:
* - UTG calls [$0.50]
* - MP1 calls [$0.50]
* - MP2 calls [$0.50]
**- 2 players fold.
* - SB calls [$0.25]
* - Hero checks
* - Total folds this street: 2
* - Potsize: $2.5
Flop:
* -
6d.gif
9s.gif
5d.gif

* - SB bets [$1]
* - Hero raises to $5.50
**- 3 players fold.
* - SB calls [$4.50]
* - Total folds this street: 3
* - Potsize: $13.5
Turn:
* -
tc.gif

* - SB checks
* - Hero bets [$13.50]
* - SB calls [$13.50]
* - Potsize: $40.5
River:
* -
9d.gif

* - SB checks
* - Hero ???

NuRelic

NuRelic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check it.

His Bet on the Flop was him Betting the Come on the Diamond draw (then unable to get away from it when he made the call) and his check/call on the Turn seems to confirm that. He was grossly calling against the odds and appears to have hit. He doesn't bet the River because he's afraid you were betting a set rather than a Str8 and if he's willing to throw out $20 on a 25/5 table chasing a FD he's prolly ready to call you down for $20 now that he's made a Flush so bluffing doesn't look like it would work either.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a scary river card. I think I find a check behind here, since you don't want to be check-raised by a full-house or made flush. If you bet/shove here, you will almost never be called unless you're beat. A poorly played A9 or J9 is about the only hand that has a prayer to call a river bet that isn't beating you.

/me checks behind to save money against a flush or boat

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have to check the river as well. In this situation, the only hand that's going to call your bet has you beat, unless of course they're a total donk.

As NuRelic said, they were probably chasing, with the pot odds against them, and they got lucky and hit. You did your job, you flopped a straight with a flush draw board and didn't offer them the odds to chase, they did. If they got lucky, that's poker, it's what keeps them coming back and giving you their money later.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough decision I'm not sure checking is the best idea though. There's two reasons I don't think he has a flush, first he wasn't getting nearly the right pot odds on the flop or turn, and second he checked on the river. If he had a flush he would probably bet on the river. What if he has king 9 or ace 9 or queen 9? These hands make more sense than a flush draw, and a reasonable bet on the river might make him call. He might also have 6 5, this makes perfect sense as well given his betting (but I doubt he'll call a big bet). You want to get as much value as you can, for example the other day I was at the river and had position on player in a big big pot. I had one pair with a strong kicker, and he checked on the river. I could have played it safe and checked it down, I didn't have close to the nuts, but I felt I had the best hand, I put him on the same pair with a weaker kicker. So I thought for a long time then put him all in (about 2/3 pot bet), and he called and he had just what I thought. Had I checked behind him I would have lost a lot of value. And this might be the case here.

On a side note though, even though this time playing fast worked out (didn't it? Did you win?), I think you played this hand too fast. You had the nuts on the flop and he bet $1, you raised to almost $6, smooth calling or raising to like $3 or $4 is a better play IMO. If you smooth called you might have lured the other limpers in as well.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I checked behind and he showed the 3d4d for the baby flush. I didn't think that he would fold to a pot bet. Being a PL table I felt I needed to pot-raise it on the flop to properly charge any flush draw to see the turn and to set up a proper bet on the turn if the flush didn't hit there.