Feedback on how this hand was played please.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 37.8 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 28.57, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 14)
SB: 121.7 BB (VPIP: 17.65, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
Hero (BB): 93.6 BB
UTG: 146.4 BB (VPIP: 57.14, PFR: 42.86, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
MP: 118.7 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
CO: 291 BB (VPIP: 44.44, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:heart: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 2.5 BB

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 5:heart: 4:spade: 9:club:
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (7.5 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
Hero checks, BTN bets 7.5 BB, Hero raises to 90.1 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 26.8 BB and is all-in

[spoil]BTN shows 9:spade: 9:heart: (Full House, Nines full of Fives)
(Pre 55%, Flop 98%, Turn 100%)
Hero shows K:heart: A:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Fives)
(Pre 45%, Flop 2%, Turn 0%)
BTN wins 72.3 BB

1.2 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

[/spoil]

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet pre. As played, flop is good. Turn is good. Lead river, call any reasonable raise. Your check raise all in is very spewy. Any decent player should fold any hand that you can beat. You're only getting called by trips or better, probably only a full house or better. Had you x/r to 30 BB (which I still don't like because a lot of hands that may have called a small lead will check behind) you could fold to the 3 bet but you put the whole stack in and fell victim to the slow play. No way you should ever lose your whole stack in this hand.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am not an expert, but your all-in raise was rather risky. The opponent's range in the button is extremely wide (even any two), so a five or even 95 is not excluded.
On the other hand, your opponent played smart and concealed his strenght waiting for you to make a mistake and bet into his monster hand. Medium or low pocket pairs rarely hit the board, but when they do they usually are a good moneymaker!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand is just hilarious. He did the Phil Helmuth by slowplaying until the river and then potted it, when you improved to catch up. Pretty gross but also very funny.

As played I actually like your river line. If he had a 9 or a 5 or an overpair, we would surely have heard about it, so his range is pretty much AX, air and then very occationally a slowplayed monster like this.

By checking you give him a chance to finally bet his air, and he is surely going to bet AX for value, which allow you to check-raise. And if he has the slowplay whatever. If you lead, its not like, you are going to fold to a raise anyway, when he is this short, so this is pretty much just a cooler.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not an expert, but your all-in raise was rather risky. The opponent's range in the button is extremely wide (even any two), so a five or even 95 is not excluded.

Except that a five should always have bet the turn, and 95 should always have bet the flop. Even 99 should also have bet. It does not matter to much, that you block top pair on a low board, because there are plenty of other hands, your opponent can continue with. So Villain played his hand like a moron and just got lucky, that it turned out to be the perfect line against Heros exact holding on this exact runout. In the long run this slowplay is missing Villain a ton of value.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your check raise all in is very spewy. Any decent player should fold any hand that you can beat.

I dont agree with that. The hand was checked to the river, so the pot is very small, and Villain started with less than 40BB. Its less than a pot sized bet for him to call, and people can certainly make that call with a worse AX.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't see any value in jamming on the river. What is going to call? Sometimes a bad player with Ax, but usually better hands. So you either risk losing 93 big blinds or you gain 15.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the pre-flop it was necessary to make the 3 bet (the truth I have never understood why being so passive with AK), then in the flop making a cbet although the board does not seem the best, but for no reason should you have done all-in in the river only with the overpair, there were many combinations that could beat you and if in the pre-flop you didn't make a 3 bet, why in the river go all-in with only one pair? This is my point of view of the hand does not mean that it is correct, I only express what I would have done in that situation

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see any value in jamming on the river. What is going to call? Sometimes a bad player with Ax, but usually better hands. So you either risk losing 93 big blinds or you gain 15.

Villain was the effective stack, so the jam was not for 93 big blinds, ir was for 34,3 big blinds. And I certainly think Ax is going to call the extra 26,8 big blinds getting a little better than 2:1. I also think, Ax is the majority of his range apart from bluffs, which does not matter, because they are just going to fold. What hands does he slowplay other than exactly 99? I dont see any, and even 99 is not a good slowplay. I feel, a lot of people are being very results oriented here.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Villain was the effective stack, so the jam was not for 93 big blinds, ir was for 34,3 big blinds. And I certainly think Ax is going to call the extra 26,8 big blinds getting a little better than 2:1. I also think, Ax is the majority of his range apart from bluffs, which does not matter, because they are just going to fold. What hands does he slowplay other than exactly 99? I dont see any, and even 99 is not a good slowplay. I feel, a lot of people are being very results oriented here.
Am I missing something or did hero not raise some 90 big blinds on the river? Edit: ok, I see button's smaller stack size.

For the villain's range, it's a fishy looking player on the button playing a wide range. Any pair, any suited hand, any connector or gapped connector... I think you're applying a reg style of play to this player in order to identify their range, which may not be correct.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the villain's range, it's a fishy looking player on the button playing a wide range. Any pair, any suited hand, any connector or gapped connector... I think you're applying a reg style of play to this player in order to identify their range, which may not be correct.

I agree. But even so the point is, that we only lose to something, that he slowplayed. So its a question of, how often does he slowplay vs. how often does he have another AX, that we have outkicked? And being a fishy player he can have almost any AX, and he is not going to fold it, when he just improved to top pair. In fact the check-jam from Hero can look bluffy, so a fish is going to find an excuse to call with anything showdownable.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Indeed, this villain can have any hand in his range, but from experience I know that recreational players love pot bet when they have a strong hand. So in this spot I almost always place it in a 5x line. But in this particular case, when something more than 20bb behind the effective stack remains behind, I find the push profitable in case I am wrong. Villain has good odds that he will pay most of the time with its open range.
Greetings.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont agree with that. The hand was checked to the river, so the pot is very small, and Villain started with less than 40BB. Its less than a pot sized bet for him to call, and people can certainly make that call with a worse AX.
Thanks for the correction. Caught me slipping. I was focusing on the Hero 90 BB and not the V short stack. My apologies OP. Disregard my initial post.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Indeed, this villain can have any hand in his range, but from experience I know that recreational players love pot bet when they have a strong hand.

I agree with that, and I do think, his sizing is somewhat polarizing. But even so this hand was checked to the river. So would he not feel, that AQ or AJ is a monster and press the "pot" button with those hands as well? I think, he would.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with that, and I do think, his sizing is somewhat polarizing. But even so this hand was checked to the river. So would he not feel, that AQ or AJ is a monster and press the "pot" button with those hands as well? I think, he would.

If I could do it. But for my decision now it also depends on other factors, such as the hand sequence. In this case there was no action and the boat was small. But what if V drives us from the beginning with pot bet? The scenario varies a lot according to how the hand comes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I could do it. But for my decision now it also depends on other factors, such as the hand sequence. In this case there was no action and the boat was small. But what if V drives us from the beginning with pot bet? The scenario varies a lot according to how the hand comes.

Sure. But at the end of the day we were playing against someone, who started with less than 40BB, no straight or flush was possible, trips was very unlikely, and we rivered TPTK. To me its completely fine and standard to get it in here, and if he has us beat, its just a cooler.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure. But at the end of the day we were playing against someone, who started with less than 40BB, no straight or flush was possible, trips was very unlikely, and we rivered TPTK. To me its completely fine and standard to get it in here, and if he has us beat, its just a cooler.

If in this case the sequence could have been different from the beginning. Nor would I retire with tptk with 40bb.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If in this case the sequence could have been different from the beginning. Nor would I retire with tptk with 40bb.

In my opinion its a waste of time to analyse the river, when we should have played an earlier street different. There is zero reason to slowplay preflop out of position with AK, and even less when Villain is short. So this should have been a 3-bet preflop 100% of the time. If Villain then jam on us, we are very happy to call it off, and then we just play a coinflip. If he call, there is a little over a pot sized bet left. Probably we just jam the flop and get the bad news, that we are drawing dead.

If you look at all the posts in this forum, people tend to worry way to much about getting away from big hands. But its ok to lose a stack or in this case 40% of a stack. We are going to lose and win a lot of stacks in this game, so its not something to worry about, as long as we made the right decisions.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion its a waste of time to analyse the river, when we should have played an earlier street different. There is zero reason to slowplay preflop out of position with AK, and even less when Villain is short. So this should have been a 3-bet preflop 100% of the time. If Villain then jam on us, we are very happy to call it off, and then we just play a coinflip. If he call, there is a little over a pot sized bet left. Probably we just jam the flop and get the bad news, that we are drawing dead.

If you look at all the posts in this forum, people tend to worry way to much about getting away from big hands. But its ok to lose a stack or in this case 40% of a stack. We are going to lose and win a lot of stacks in this game, so its not something to worry about, as long as we made the right decisions.

So is. In fact, in this hand we still have a profitable opportunity out of position, to get ahead of stealing the V stack. In this case, we could make push on a bluff line and get profitable calls. Btn will be tempted to pay many times with worse hands. Then we will be exploiting profitable folds, which this player will not likely achieve.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands