One OF My Favorite Hands - Need Advice

C

ColdDeckCity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not really know the player very well but his pre flop raisng was very low, about 7% and he seemed like a very tight solid player. I am UTG+2 witht he worst hand in poker; AA.

Stacks:
SB with $101.38
BB with $47.67
UTG with $18.50
UTG+1 with $18.50
UTG+2 with $150.80
MP1 with $0.00
MP2 with $188.93
MP3 with $99.00
CO with $95.31
BTN with $91.00

hand.pl

Dealt to UTG+2:A♦ A♥
Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
1 players fold.
UTG+2 calls [$1 USD]
4 players fold.
SB raises [$3.50 USD]
1 players fold.
UTG+2 raises [$14 USD]
SB calls [$11 USD]
Total folds this street: 6
Potsize: $29.5
Flop:
5♠ A♣ 9♥
SB checks.
UTG+2 checks.
Turn:
K♠
SB bets [$16 USD]
UTG+2 calls [$16 USD]
Potsize: $61.5
River:
10♣
SB is all-in.
UTG+2 calls [$70.38 USD]
SB shows a straight Ten to Ace:
Q♦ J♣
UTG+2 shows three of a kind, Aces:
A♦ A♥
SB wins $200.76 USD from the main pot with a straight, Ten to Ace.

I put him on a big pocket pair before the flop maybe JJ, QQ, KK this is why i checked to flop as the over card would scare him. I did not re-rasie him on the turn because i wanted to make him fire again on the river and then re-raise him just in case he had QQ or JJ if i reaised on the turn he would fold, but by the river if he makes another bet i could make a value bet becasue of all the money in the pot. What do you think about this hand, how should i have played it, did i play it wrong

Thanks

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can narrow his range that much pre-flop. He could raise ATC to punish a single limper, and then some people just never fold to a reraise.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice limp/3-bet.

Yeah, the more I think about this one, the more its just a bad beat. Maybe a bit larger raise preflop. Otherwise, that's pretty much how I'd play it. Tough call on the river there.

Announced

Announced

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your limp/3bet smells like Aces; don't do that.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not really know the player very well but his pre flop raisng was very low, about 7% and he seemed like a very tight solid player. I am UTG+2 witht he worst hand in poker; AA. - you're kidding, right?

Stacks:
SB with $101.38
BB with $47.67
UTG with $18.50
UTG+1 with $18.50
UTG+2 with $150.80
MP1 with $0.00
MP2 with $188.93
MP3 with $99.00
CO with $95.31
BTN with $91.00

hand.pl

Dealt to UTG+2:A♦ A♥
Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
1 players fold.
UTG+2 calls [$1 USD] -Ugh! why?
4 players fold.
SB raises [$3.50 USD]
1 players fold.
UTG+2 raises [$14 USD]
SB calls [$11 USD]
Total folds this street: 6
Flop:
5♠ A♣ 9♥
SB checks.
UTG+2 checks.
Turn:
K♠
SB bets [$16 USD]
UTG+2 calls [$16 USD] -Reraise!
Potsize: $61.5
River:
10♣
SB is all-in.
UTG+2 calls [$70.38 USD]
SB shows a straight Ten to Ace:
Q♦ J♣
UTG+2 shows three of a kind, Aces:
A♦ A♥
SB wins $200.76 USD from the main pot with a straight, Ten to Ace.

I put him on a big pocket pair before the flop maybe JJ, QQ, KK this is why i checked to flop as the over card would scare him. I did not re-rasie him on the turn because i wanted to make him fire again on the river and then re-raise him just in case he had QQ or JJ if i reaised on the turn he would fold, but by the river if he makes another bet i could make a value bet becasue of all the money in the pot. What do you think about this hand, how should i have played it, did i play it wrong

Thanks

See bold.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you want to raise the turn t1riel? Villain's range contains a lot of bluffs here, and we're way out in front. Yeah, there is a flush draw on the board, but even that's only completing less than 16% of the time for villain (because the board pairs). Give him an opportunity to bluff at the pot on the river. And its not a bet sizing issue, since by just calling we can happily shove the river.

And why are you so opposed to the limp/3-bet. If there's 'tards at the table who raise JT, then isn't limping in EP with aces a pretty solid way to get some value out of them?

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously there are several different ways to play this hand but losing to a runner runner straight is pretty sick after flopping the world. If you want to slow play your big hands to induce bluffs you have to accept that this kinda of crap is going to happen once in a while.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this fairly horribly, I wouldn't have laid it down but I definitely would have put him on JQ :\

Raise pre-flop, it might not make a lot of money this hand $$$ but over, lets just say, 100x times you get AA raising pre-flop will eventually be the best option that wins the most money for you.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this fairly horribly, I wouldn't have laid it down but I definitely would have put him on JQ :\

Raise pre-flop, it might not make a lot of money this hand $$$ but over, lets just say, 100x times you get AA raising pre-flop will eventually be the best option that wins the most money for you.

I disagree, he induced a bluff here and if the runner runner straight hadn't hit would have maximized value. The goal isn't to win the most pots, but to win the most money.

That said, villain did play this terribly, starting with preflop. A limp-raise is extremely strong, he's got a terrible preflop hand with that much invested (meaning way less implied odds), and there's no reason to call that preflop. After that though he didn't play it terribly. Checked the flop, bluffed the turn, and hit jackpot on the river.

B

boogeyman316

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
O.K. I am no expert but I think this looks like a very tight table, that would explain why you did not open with a raise. SB appears to be the aggressive one on the table - he bet into 2 ppl, attempting the steal with a very marginal hand from out of position. Regardless of what you put him at, I hink it was the right decision to check the flop.

The half pot bet on the turn says the K helped him in a big way (it was a strange move, because with 4 outs he was denying himself the odds needed to draw to the str8), makes me feel that this guy would have bet even larger if he had made a set. I would have put him on a draw, raised him here and taken the $45 - 1/3 of your stack.

Lets look at some other possible holdings:

KK: he has second set and you are gonna take his entire stack.
QQ -JJ: he checked the flop, afraid of the 1 over card? But then why bet the turn? Doesn't make sense.
AK: looks like a good fit, it explains the pre-flop raise, check the flop hoping for a check-call and then the 1/2 pot bet on the turn. But your AA makes it less likelly he has the case A.

So why bet the turn?

What kind of a hand would account for the pre-flop raise and give him a premium draw? If we assume he does not have the case A, it takes us straight to QJ. It's tough to lay down top set, but when you're beat you're beat. :)

C

ColdDeckCity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thaks guys for all your comments, i really apprecaite them

Any more commetns then keep them coming!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you want to raise the turn t1riel? Villain's range contains a lot of bluffs here, and we're way out in front. Yeah, there is a flush draw on the board, but even that's only completing less than 16% of the time for villain (because the board pairs). Give him an opportunity to bluff at the pot on the river. And its not a bet sizing issue, since by just calling we can happily shove the river.

And why are you so opposed to the limp/3-bet. If there's 'tards at the table who raise JT, then isn't limping in EP with aces a pretty solid way to get some value out of them?

I think of it as giving him an opporunity to outdraw you. The slowplay of the set on the flop is a good move because obviously there are no draws on there.

I'm not a big fan of limping with Aces. If it's a loose table, you would get a lot more value since they would call you with almost any raise.

Raising on the turn for me is an opporunity to take the pot now and avoid the players from chasing a flush or straight. With the SB bet on the turn, it makes it $45 in the pot for a .50/$1 game. Even if they don't fold and the 10 doesn't come up, you would raking even more chips.

I guess people like to play the cash tables in different ways. I don't see how limping with Aces helps you win more money than if you raise with them.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a big fan of limping with Aces. If it's a loose table, you would get a lot more value since they would call you with almost any raise.
Or any re-raise? With aces, the strategy isn't to auto-raise or thin the field. Its to get as much money in the pot preflop as possible. And his strategy accomplished that (since I highly doubt anyone is 3-betting QJ). Sure, this might be a bit results oriented, but if people are raising light, I think this is a great strategy.

Raising on the turn for me is an opporunity to take the pot now and avoid the players from chasing a flush or straight.
We're not trying to take the pot, we're trying to win money. And usually in a 3-bet pot, people don't show up all that often with QJos. Especially tight players who raise 7% of hands preflop. Its much more likely that he's hit some sort of pair, or is just trying to take the pot down.

Sure, if we knew his calling range was wide enough to include stuff like QJ, then we should certainly raise the turn. But from his initial read, I like just calling.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands