€4 NLHE 6-max: AJo/3bet pot/turn decision

dunkyhory

dunkyhory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hieveryone
So I guess a few questions do you call pre, do you bet turn and do you call the shove.
Thanks.

Villiain
33/24/12 over 127 hands

Hero (UTG): 4.19 (104.8 bb)
CO: 6.30 (157.5 bb)
BTN: 3.26 (81.5 bb)
SB: 4.83 (120.8 bb)
BB: 6.46 (161.5 bb)

SB posts 0.02, BB posts 0.04
Pre Flop: (pot: 0.06) Hero has A J
Hero raises to 0.12, 2 folds, SB raises to 0.40, fold, Hero calls 0.28
Flop: (0.84, 2 players) A 9 Q
SB bets 0.42, Hero calls 0.42
Turn: (1.68, 2 players) 8
SB checks, Hero bets 1.00, SB raises to 4.01, Hero ?

Last edited:
G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably raise or fold pre. I don’t like flatting.

Calling flop ip.

X/r are usually underbluffed and folding here’s fine. I wouldn’t stab turn myself.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold pre. But given you have position calling is fine.
I'm definitely checking the turn. AJ is dominated by villains 3bet range so I don't necessarily want to play a massive pot here.
Seems a wierd line to take by villain, I think I'm calling here but I don't really like it. Folding is fine.
Villain can play TT this way or JJ this way.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold pre. AJo is a "lose a big pot win a small pot hand." when he 3 bets your hand effectively has no value. If you catch the J 15% chance to then you might be in an over pair trap. If you catch the ace you might be in a kicker trap. If you miss 71% chance you should check fold 95% of the time. So what are you expecting to do by calling the 3 bet in the first place? I'd call IP with suited cards to bail me out if they can....even then AJs is dubious call....when you think about it there is no value in calling the 3 -bet if you catch the ace they almost certainly will shut down with KK and less. Why did you call OOP with a super second best hand like AJo?

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold pre. But given you have position calling is fine.
I'm definitely checking the turn. AJ is dominated by villains 3bet range so I don't necessarily want to play a massive pot here.
Seems a wierd line to take by villain, I think I'm calling here but I don't really like it. Folding is fine.
Villain can play TT this way or JJ this way.

even position doesn't make this a good call pre. We raised UTG and got 3b by the SB, AJo is crushed.

dunkyhory

dunkyhory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is 5 handed so effectively mp would that change your thoughts on calling ?.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even position doesn't make this a good call pre. We raised UTG and got 3b by the SB, AJo is crushed.

It depends on the competence of the SB. And position IS the reason it is a call - OOP no way. He can have under pairs that we have equity against and we can dominate his Ax bluffs.Yes he can have AQ and maybe Ak (some will 5-bet AK OOP).

I would fold against and ABC type player who never 3-bets mid pairs or bluffs. Against a good opponent it is either a call or 4-bet/fold. I would be more inclined to call AJs as you can navigate flops better.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hieveryone
So I guess a few questions do you call pre, do you bet turn and do you call the shove.
Thanks.

Villiain
33/24/12 over 127 hands

Hero (UTG): 4.19 (104.8 bb)
CO: 6.30 (157.5 bb)
BTN: 3.26 (81.5 bb)
SB: 4.83 (120.8 bb)
BB: 6.46 (161.5 bb)

SB posts 0.02, BB posts 0.04
Pre Flop: (pot: 0.06) Hero has A J
Hero raises to 0.12, 2 folds, SB raises to 0.40, fold, Hero calls 0.28
Flop: (0.84, 2 players) A 9 Q
SB bets 0.42, Hero calls 0.42
Turn: (1.68, 2 players) 8
SB checks, Hero bets 1.00, SB raises to 4.01, Hero ?

I am calling this off. I agree with another poster that the turn is rarely x/raise bluffed, but this feels more like JJ or 10 that has picked up equity and doesn't want to fold. I think all other hands like AA, QQ, AQ, that beat you (18 combinations) just continue betting the turn. The only other hands that makes sense to me are 88 and A8 (if he is 3-betting those).

What was the result?

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the competence of the SB. And position IS the reason it is a call - OOP no way. He can have under pairs that we have equity against and we can dominate his Ax bluffs.Yes he can have AQ and maybe Ak (some will 5-bet AK OOP).

I would fold against and ABC type player who never 3-bets mid pairs or bluffs. Against a good opponent it is either a call or 4-bet/fold. I would be more inclined to call AJs as you can navigate flops better.

Agree that knowing his SB 3b vs UTG would be helpful but generally I'm going to assume it's tight and AJo isn't a call. Also agree I would call AJs because it does have playability. We should also consider that this is a somewhat small sample size in regards to 3B%

Last edited:
Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I dislike the flat as well.
He seems way too aggro but AJo doesn't do well to play for stack in these kind of spots. And he's 3bing UTG.
We can 4b fold as well since he's loose

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's not utg. It's mp. It's 5 handed. But still I wouldn't call AJo pre. Mostly fold vs 3bet on micro. Vs a decent reg could be a 4bet bluff.

as played check turn. There is no value in bet.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesn't matter if it's micro or not. 12% 3bet is still 12% 3bet.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesn't matter if it's micro or not. 12% 3bet is still 12% 3bet.

I wouldn't put a ton of weight into his 3b% with a 127 hand sample. Especially SB vs EP 3b%. I've had 25k hand samples on regs with ~10% 3B overall and their SB vs EP 3B was closer to ~3%

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the oponent way of playing, what if he's playing loose or TAG. There's many things we got to check on the oponent. Even Good players have thier bad day.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop127 hands and 33/24/12 probably loose preflop. Still I would fold preflop as AJo can easily be dominated and isn't in my top 30% of hands I open with from MP.

flop
Calling is fine

turn
Would check back you have a reasonable hand but not a top hand (its after all a 3 bet pot) and would want to go to showdown as cheap as possible. If he bets the river would call off.
You bet and the villain raises you all-in that is not what you want with top pair medium kicker. Your in a difficult spot if I am correct he puts you all-in and it is 2.37 to call and win 8. Your bet was to big in my opinion.
Still think folding is your best option.