calling an early middle raiser in the BB

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full table with 200 BB and $5-$10 HL. 3rd seat raises 3x and one late caller. Hero calls with :kh4::jc4:. Flop comes :kc4::9d4::4h4:. You bet the pot and only the raiser calls. Turn is :5c4: and you bet half the pot. River is :jd4: You bet the pot again and now face an all-inner. What do you do here and why?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. There are no missed draws, and this really smell like a flopped set to me. I am not playing the hand like this though. I prefer to check-call the flop, and if you are going to lead, I would certainly choose a much smaller size. When you pot it, you are pretty much only getting action, when you are behind to AA, AK, KQ or a set.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The big pot bet on the flop really created a tough spot for you late on this one. Playing this hand out of the BB is fine. On the flop, I'm check/calling for sure. I almost never lead into a preflop raiser, but certainly not with this type of hand. If he checked the flop, I would probably bet 40-50% pot on the turn and then bet 2/3 on the river. If he bet flop, I would go into check/call mode down to the river. Check/call mode would get you to showdown and even if you're behind, you'd probably lose a ton less than the line you took. Betting turn/river would also probably be less expensive than your initial line assuming you made the decision to fold river.

In microstakes, maybe this guy has AK or some weird bluffs...but tough to see that in a $5-10 game. I can't imagine a guy ever floating such big bets on flop and turn to bluff the river with complete air. I think the most likely hand here is probably KK despite only 2 left in the deck...but probably a set for sure.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing this hand out of the BB is fine.

I guess so, if one or both opponents are playing to many hands. Which would almost always be the case in a 1/2 live game, but this is 5/10. And if these guys are playing correct ranges, KJo offer a ton of reverse implied odds against both players ranges.

The field caller is often setmining, and the original raiser has all the AA, KK, QQ, AK, AJ, KQ of the world but rarely anything, we dominate. So really all, we flopped here, is a bluff catcher. We check-call the flop, and it looks great, but in reality we are just hoping, that the original raiser is bluffing, and that we will either improve or not face to much pressure later.

So honestly I really think, you make your life a whole lot easier, if you just get rid of these unsuited bad broadways against an early position raise. I understand the call, and its not a huge mistake, but it can easily snowball into a really ugly situation later in the hand, which is exactly, what happened here.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't call a raise preflop with KJo at a full table.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the river you have to call. The flop bet you made, made you pot committed. Once you hit your two pair, you should call. As everyone stated you have no draws and there's a decent chance your opponent has AK or KQ. If the opponent has a set then so be it. If you want to try to get away from this hand, either fold pre or don't bet the pot on the flop.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what others have said. KJo is not the best of holdings, and is probably towards the lower end of villains range. Best to stay out of this one, esp. after you see another caller pre.

Betting into 2 people on the flop says you are pretty strong. I don't think you have to bet out pot there. Either check-call, or bet smaller. Turn is a dud, you can check to villain to see how they react and consider a call since you shouldn't want a big pot.

It doesn't make sense for villain to raise all-in on river as a bluff. With that in mind, it's hard to envision hands you beat. Villain is playing that as if they too have KJ. Are they over-playing AK? I can't really imagine other hands here that you are ahead of.

Sets are possible here as well. 99 is a realistic set that you are behind. If Villain can go all in with KQ or AK here, then call. If not, you are looking at a split pot at best.