AQ vs re-raise

S

shallow33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker Game #3196535568: Table Tara - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:47:57 ET - 2007/08/08
Seat 1: griffinlord ($5.60)
Seat 2: CYMAZIN ($4.05)
Seat 3: HebeyJuan ($13.15)
Seat 4: carfight ($9.20)
Seat 5: atubb24 ($2.50)
Seat 6: eggeun ($19)
Seat 7: shallow33 ($6.60)
Seat 8: i_like_it_dirty ($13.60)
Seat 9: BIG WORLD 50 ($3.75)
atubb24 posts the small blind of $0.05
eggeun posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to shallow33 [Ac Qc]
shallow33 raises to $0.30
i_like_it_dirty folds
BIG WORLD 50 folds
griffinlord folds
CYMAZIN raises to $1.20
HebeyJuan folds
carfight folds
atubb24 calls $1.15
eggeun folds
shallow33 folds

was this an ok fold? i know everybody hates commenting on .05/.10 tables since it apparently envolves no strategy, and deserves little thought. but anyway, i always hear AQ isnt a good hand to call a re-raise with, especially a re-raise thats been called, is this true or am i imagining things?

the reason for asking is the flop hit me pretty hard, i know you're not supposed to let results judge your decisions, i'm just making sure i'm not talking myself out of a bad decision.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ is a horrible hand to play out of position and that is why they say dont call re-raises with it because you either have to play the hand OOP or one of the blinds is raising you which shows tons of strength. Im ok with folding this.

really this comes down to reads but usually you are never cold calling, you are either 3 betting this or folding.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I think it's better to let this go PF, but you might also want to consider how good the raiser and caller are skill wise. In a very soft game you might want to play this and you can sometimes find that kind of play at .5/.10

Still though, big raise and overcall, I don't see how you can be good here enough to call.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this fine, shallow. If we're all sitting on 100BB ($10) or bigger stacks, I'll make this call just to see if I can flop a monster like 2 pair or better.

Here, stacks are short, and your opponents are saying they have very strong hands. Just fold.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your read on the two villains in the hand?? If CYMAZIN is maniacal I might just shove this considering that CYMAZIN only has 4 dollars and atubb only has 2.50 (Those are both b4 preflop action). Pretty much this is either an all in or fold situation given both villains stack sizes. If CYMAZIN is loose I probably shove, if he is tight I fold. I dont really worry about atubb as he only has ~1.00 left after he calls the raise and will be going with his hand.

S

shallow33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
CYMAZIN has been isnt a maniac, plays pretty standard, nothing that stood out anyway in the time i've spent at the table. dont anything about the other guy, i think he's played very few hands(but this turns out to not say much).

S

shallow33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so heres the results if you're curious.

*** FLOP *** [As Qs 8h]
atubb24 checks
CYMAZIN bets $2.85, and is all in
atubb24 calls $1.30, and is all in
CYMAZIN shows [Kd Kh]
atubb24 shows [Tc 9h]
Uncalled bet of $1.55 returned to CYMAZIN
*** TURN *** [As Qs 8h] [9d]
*** RIVER *** [As Qs 8h 9d] [Qd]
CYMAZIN shows two pair, Kings and Queens
atubb24 shows two pair, Queens and Nines
CYMAZIN wins the pot ($4.90) with two pair, Kings and Queens
atubb24 stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $5.40 | Rake $0.50
Board: [As Qs 8h 9d Qd]
Seat 1: griffinlord didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: CYMAZIN showed [Kd Kh] and won ($4.90) with two pair, Kings and Queens
Seat 3: HebeyJuan didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: carfight (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: atubb24 (small blind) showed [Tc 9h] and lost with two pair, Queens and Nines
Seat 6: eggeun (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 7: shallow33 folded before the Flop
Seat 8: i_like_it_dirty didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: BIG WORLD 50 didn't bet (folded)

not quite sure what atubb24 was hoping for... maybe some crazy tilt at another table.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea this fold is perfectly fine. Faced with a reraise and a call just ditch this one. Textbook play. :icon_thum
By the way you prolly already know but don't forget AQ is prolly the ultimate hand to get yourself into deep shit with!

dbitel

dbitel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very easy fold. You have to presume that villain is reraising JJ+/AK here, and AQ is in terrible shape vs that range

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the reason for asking is the flop hit me pretty hard, i know you're not supposed to let results judge your decisions, i'm just making sure i'm not talking myself out of a bad decision.
Problem with AQ is when you do hit it pretty hard, someone often hits it harder.

There's no point calling if you look at the stack sizes of your 2 opponents. There's no implied odds at all, the best you can hope for is to double your money. Fold, or go all-in if you think you are ahead from your previous observations of your opponents.