AKs top pair w/ action; 6 max .5/1 FLHE

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Relatively new table and not many reads, but from what I know, utg seems like an 'ok' tag and hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. CO is very loose-passive and could be calling down here very light.

What hand ranges do we have on both of them after the flop 3-bet and call, and what is our plan for the rest of the hand?

Stacks:
- UTG with $10.90 - UTG+1 with $25.00 - CO with $185.15 - BTN with $6.45 - SB with $10.20 - BB with $17.65
index.pl

Site: Pokerstars
Holecards:
- BB (Hero) is dealt A♠ K♠
Preflop:
- UTG raises $0.50 to $1
- CO calls [$1]
- BB raises $0.50 to $1.50
- UTG raises $0.50 to $2 Betting is capped
- CO calls [$1]
- BB calls [$0.50]
- Folds: 3
- Potsize: $6.25
Flop: 8♥ K♦ Q♣
- BB
: checks
- UTG bets [$0.50]
- CO calls [$0.50]
- BB raises $0.50 to $1
- UTG raises $0.50 to $1.50
- CO calls [$1]
- BB calls [$0.50]

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he's an "OK" tag, his range on this flop is going to be AA, KK, QQ, AK, and KQs (where KQs is somewhat unlikely given the preflop action).

Given the size of the pot, you're committed - especially when you have CO padding it for you. But putting in more raises at this point is not going to do you any good. Get to showdown as cheaply as possible, be prepared to fold if a Q/J/T comes off and CO suddenly starts raising.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have, by no means, the expertise of "FPau" when it comes to limit, I'm actually terrible at it. That being the case I wouldn't fold this with TPTK, but I would, as he said, no longer raise and just check/call to get to showdown cheaply. Interesting observation he made to fold if CO starts raising with a Q/J/T hitting the board. Being used to NL tournies, in a pot that has been raised and reraised, an inside straight draw is almost the last thing you worry about. It just shows the substantial differences between NL and FL and how you need to think at another level. With pot being capped PF his odds are almost correct to draw for an inside straight, and they'll be even more so on the turn.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg maybe you shouldnt have minraised the flop so you wouldnt be in this predicament

uh yeah, i've had very little experience with limit, but i'd just instinctually look to do what FP said basically, for what it's worth

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg maybe you shouldnt have minraised the flop so you wouldnt be in this predicament

uh yeah, i've had very little experience with limit, but i'd just instinctually look to do what FP said basically, for what it's worth

Yeah, it does seem like you're not experienced in limit if the first part of this post was serious :D

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like you're losing or splitting at best... is it too nitty to fold when the flop is capped, especially after you check-raised it?

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go all-in ldo

Seriously, though, look to showdown cheap/fold to scare cards.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like you're losing or splitting at best... is it too nitty to fold when the flop is capped, especially after you check-raised it?
Much too nitty, especially at this limit and with the third guy padding the pot. We're splitting this pot often enough and we win it some small percentage of the time (villain shows down some weirdly played AQ or he has AA and we spike a king on the turn or river, etc.) enough to show a profit from going to showdown.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the bad info, but I think I really had too little on utg to be making any assumptions. After like 15 hands he was "an ok tag", but that doesn't mean squat obviously. His quality of play dropped off dramatically within that session.

Anyways, I do agree that (given what we know) we're a) very possibly behind utg, and b) very likely ahead of CO. I expect Kx/Qx/JT/AT/AJ or even TT type hands here from CO, and at this point I'm getting scared of UTG's hand.

I think a queen was probably the worst card I could hope for, and (yay) it drops on the turn. Our plan = ch-c it down? Or can we get some more chips in to trap CO's likely dead money?

Turn: Q♥
- BB
: ...

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, and fwiw I think we're giving these guys much too much credit for these stakes (wait til you see results) :)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, and fwiw I think we're giving these guys much too much credit for these stakes (wait til you see results) :)
So folding the flop wouldn't be a good idea then? :rolleyes:

But I still want to get to showdown cheaply because I don't think I'm winning much, i.e. check-call. I think if the first player bets and the second raises, you can fold it then.

Assuming UTG has AK as well and going for a whipsaw on CO could be an expensive mistake since you'll only be getting back half a bet if he calls and you're ahead at showdown, but lose it all if you're behind either of them.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So folding the flop wouldn't be a good idea then? :rolleyes:

lol...well no, not from my limited experience. Like FP said, we're splitting a lot of the time, and we're also up against surprisingly shitty hands from utg and will win it probably a lot more often than FP thinks.

I'm not sure we're going to get much more out of this hand analysis-wise. I think we're past the exciting part.

Anyways I shut down after the flop 3-bet and go into ch-call mode, CO eventually folds and villain shows down...(drumroll)...

Stacks: - UTG with $10.90 - UTG+1 with $25.00 - CO with $185.15 - BTN with $6.45 - SB with $10.20 - BB with $17.65
index.pl

Site: Pokerstars
Holecards:
- BB (Hero) is dealt A♠ K♠
Preflop:
- UTG raises $0.50 to $1
- CO calls [$1]
- BB raises $0.50 to $1.50
- UTG raises $0.50 to $2 Betting is capped
- CO calls [$1]
- BB calls [$0.50]
- Folds: 3
- Potsize: $6.25
Flop: 8♥ K♦ Q♣
- BB
- UTG bets [$0.50]
- CO calls [$0.50]
- BB raises $0.50 to $1
- UTG raises $0.50 to $1.50
- CO calls [$1]
- BB calls [$0.50]
- Potsize: $10.75
Turn: Q♥
- BB
- UTG bets [$1]
- CO calls [$1]
- BB calls [$1]
- Potsize: $13.75
River: J♣
- BB
- UTG bets [$1]
- BB calls [$1]
- Folds: 1
Results:
- UTG shows a pair of Queens: A♦ 6♦
- BB
shows two pair, Kings and Queens: A♠ K♠
- BB
collected $15.25 from pot

That queen really scared me as it fit one of CO's most probable holdings perfectly, but by the way it played out I'm pretty sure he was on some kind of draw or was calling down with a smaller pair.

We definitely could have gotten way more out of this hand, but I think vs a relatively unknown player this is fairly standard (right?)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very standard and well played, sir.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you could have got any more out of this hand given that he held A6 and was bluffing the whole way.