AA Vs. Total Maniac

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$50 NLHE 9 handed I have $105.55.
I'm 2 from cutoff player & get dealt Ah As. Four players fold to me and I raise to $2.00 then everyone else folds but the BB calls. Now first of all keep in mind this guy is a complete psycho aggressive maniac but prone to folding to resistance (has reloaded several times already as well). Ok now the flop comes 9h Kd Qs and the pot is $4.25 so naturally he leads out for $12.25. I called and the turn brings the 4d and now the pot is $28.75 and he bets $25.50 then I raised to put him all in for his last $10.25. He called and the river was the 7c. Final pot=$98.25. He had Ks 4s. My question is would you have raised him on the flop, or waited to let him hang himself on the turn?

Me
:ah4: :as4:
:9h4: :kd4: :qs4: :4d4: :7c4:
:ks4: :4s4:
Him

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not much you could have done there.

H

hbkmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea there was not much you could do, maybe you should of push all in on the flop just bc of the straight draw on the board. What were the blinds too, maybe the raise b4 the flop was a lil small.

dwbrown7680

dwbrown7680

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$50NL = .25/.50 NLHE, so a 4xBB raise is a pretty good and standard thing here.

That guy is definetely some sort of crazy aggro, he most have seen soooooted cards and knew he was golden. In all reality outside of raising something rediculous on the flop (i.e. raise to $50 or All-in) I don't really see this guy getting away from this hand. Although I really think a raise on the flop is a must, as that's a rather scary board if you're going up against a known LAG, getting a feel for exactly how much he hit or just try to push him off there. Any other sort of paint hits that board and you can pretty much assume you're beat, you just got even unluckier when of all cards the 4 beats you. :(

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this guy is a complete psycho aggressive maniac. The flop comes 9h Kd Qs and the pot is $4.25 so naturally he leads out for $12.25.

Psycho aggressive maniacs will call a 4x PF bet with KQ, K9, Q9, Kx, Qx, 99 among others. You MIGHT get him of Kx or Qx, but not the others. Folding and waiting for a better spot could have saved you $40+. I know AA looks mighty good, but it is only one pair, after all, although the highest one. I played against someone similar to this and couldn't believe he ever had a hand. Several times he did. I was put out of the tournament. :(

A

ace2727

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would have raised because you said he was playing crazy and any pair he prolly would have done that

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I am always worried when I see KQ on the flop, you can almost say for certain unless they called with a low pocket pair to catch a set, they have some kind of a hand, or a good draw

I don't know the answer to be honest, but i wouldnt be re raising him knowing i couldnt get him off a hand

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Psycho aggressive maniacs will call a 4x PF bet with KQ, K9, Q9, Kx, Qx, 99 among others. You MIGHT get him of Kx or Qx, but not the others. Folding and waiting for a better spot could have saved you $40+. I know AA looks mighty good, but it is only one pair, after all, although the highest one. I played against someone similar to this and couldn't believe he ever had a hand. Several times he did. I was put out of the tournament. :(

I don't know. They say if your opponent is loose, you should play tighter. However, for some maniacs I think the opposite applies. If they're beyond some threshold of looseness, then you should play looser. The idea there is that you're still playing tight relative to the maniac. If you were to play genuinely tight, you'd rarely get to take advantage of his stupidity.

Not that I consider continuing with the AA here a loose play, but against a maniac, it's a monster. I'd shove flop, half expecting him to call with any king, especially with a gutshot.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't raise him because he would do the same thing here with 72o but would fold to a raise. I'd witnessed him hang himself on stone cold bluffs with all kinds of bizarre shit about a dozen times in half an hour. So it was really a tough hand & decision to make for me.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So you are saying u wouldve folded AA after he leads out for 3x pot on this flop?? I think that would be a terrible move. A set definately tries to extract some out of his oppopnent and doesnt overbet like this, same with 2 pair. I probably wouldve raised the flop because of the straight draw possiblility, but it was played pretty well. Just unlucky. Btw, u should never be waiting for a better spot in a ring game, push any edge u have.

Last edited:
madcham

madcham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 2 from cutoff player & get dealt Ah As. Four players fold to me and I raise to $2.00 then everyone else folds but the BB calls. Now first of all keep in mind this guy is a complete psycho aggressive maniac but prone to folding to resistance (has reloaded several times already as well). Ok now the flop comes 9h Kd Qs and the pot is $4.25 so naturally he leads out for $12.25. I called and the turn brings the 4d and now the pot is $28.75 and he bets $25.50 then I raised to put him all in for his last $10.25. He called and the river was the 7c. Final pot=$98.25. He had Ks 4s. My question is would you have raised him on the flop, or waited to let him hang himself on the turn?

Me
:ah4: :as4:
:9h4: :kd4: :qs4: :4d4: :7c4:
:ks4: :4s4:
Him

you played it the same way I would have... fact is, aces got cracked this time. I know it sucked, but think about it... we've all made more money against people like that than we've lost overall. That guy can come to my home game anytime :) Don't let it eat you up inside. You'll get it back next time!

Cheers,

M

maltz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know... depending on how solid this player is. Some solid players play very aggressively sometimes (and then switch to another style).

This is a straight-draw heavy board, so you have good excuse to re-raise him. Since he already bet 3X the pot, if you want to re-raise his bet your re-raise would be so huge that you may as well push all-in.

If you re-raise him all-in on flop, he might have folded knowing his kicker won't stand. And he might think you flopped the straight. Now looking back, since he called your raise with K4, he is not a solid player and therefore you couldn't have done anything to stop his luck.

But you may be facing some guy who flopped two-pair. Although most players won't bet this big when they flop something this good, you never know. A maniac may use his loose image to his advantage.

lasvegaspokerchick

lasvegaspokerchick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oddly I find that I end up agreeing with Vanquished almost everytime I see him post. You need to shove on the flop.

In fact, the only question you should ask yourself on the flop is shove or fold. Calling should not even enter your mind. I found it interesting that your question was whether to raise the flop or "let him hang himself." Your hand at that point was very vulnerable to A LOT of other hands, you can evaluate whether or not you are already beat but you certainly can't afford to slow play.